Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:179
    Members:1
    Total of:180 users
    MemberLogged
    RickeyM0.3 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index DVD

DVP-NS775V vs. DVP-NS975V?? Dashboard
    Replies: 124 | Views: 25,397
    Last Reply: December 29, 2004, 9:09 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    duncan | Maxxwire | peabody | boulderskies | jttar | rb | jehill | baseballgod | pattercw | JamisonBWolsh | DoobieWah | rwalley | hotcross | 4KDisplay | Filipinoyakuza | aeroblazer | sondogg | blackvette | davemtp | staRang | theo1 | keoni |
    This thread topic spans 9 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author DVP-NS775V vs. DVP-NS975V??
    DoobieWah

Posted: 2004-09-14 23:54

Hello, all:

I'm looking to replace my older Sony DVD player (non-P Scan) with one of the new ones.  The 775 model looks great; however, I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and spend the extra $170 for the 975 when it comes out.  I'm running a KF42WE610 with the DVI input currently being used by DirecTV HD receiver.  My understanding is the 975 will only output the upscaled signal through it's HDMI, so I could switch the DTV to component; however, I'm wondering if it will be worth it...the specs on the two players are identical except for the line doubling/upscaling on the 975, at least from my read of the manuals/specs available online.

Any comments/suggestions??

Thnx, in advance, for your input!

The Doob

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-15 21:08

DoobieWah,

Just food for thought. It is possible to use the DTV DVI and the 975 HDMI's with your WE610 if your willing to use an adapter cable and a switcher box like THIS. Im waiting for the DVP-NS975V to come out also. I checked with Tweeter and was told October 1st.

Joe

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-16 14:02

DoobieWah-
    My question would be, "Will I see an improvement if I replace my non-progressive DVD player (presumeably connected to Video 5 or 6) with a progressive DVD player".  Remember, all KF42WE610 video inputs are scaled to 788p.  The DRC circuitry in the KF42WE610 first doubles the number of lines from your non-progressive DVD player from 480i to 960i.  My point is that you may spend money for a new DVD player and not be able to see the difference!  One factor that MIGHT make an improvement is the resolution of the video DAC.  Generally, a 12 bit DAC provides better resolution than a 10 bit DAC.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

DoobieWah

Posted: 2004-09-16 22:49

jehill:

So, if I read you right, the upscaling ability of the TV probably improves the non-progressive scan picture of my current player to a quality that is close to that of a progressive scan picture?  If that is the case, then, except for your 12 bit DAC vs 10 bit DAC improvement, the picture may not improve at all?   Obviously, if that is the case, I shouldn't waste my money.  Isn't the 480p signal suppose to be better, though, or is that improvement washed out by the superior electronics of the Sony TV??

I guess I always thought that 'progressive scan' was better...    Is that just hype, then, or does it only show visibly on TVs that don't upscale??

HMMMM....thought to ponder....

The Doob

PS:  jttar-  I like your idea; however, it bumps the price up way over where the wife is willing to go (at least with the arguments that I have ); however, I'm running out of a good reason to buy a new player if the picture won't really improve.....although the audio signal would be much better with the new player.....

rb

Posted: 2004-09-16 23:58

In our store we a DVPNS575P hooked up to a KF42WE620 with component video and 2 21" LCD tv's, one with S-Video and the other with Composite cables. Unfortunately when the DVD player is set to progressive the S-Video and Composite outputs go dead, so we generally run the DVD player with a non-progressive signal.

When we need to demo the KF42WE620 we simply reach behind the DVD player and switch it into progressive mode. The difference is dramatic. The set looks much better when fed a progressive signal from the DVPNS575P.

How much if any the DVPNS975V will look with the DVI/HDMI output is uncertain at this point. We don't expect them in Canada until November.

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-17 14:25

DoobieWah-
    A 480p signal is supposed to be better, but that might assume the use of a TV that does not convert 480i video to progressive video.  Keep in mind that Sony isn't the only vendor whose electronics converts 480i video to progressive video.  This conversion is required for all plasma and LCD displays.  The differences are in the algorithm that is used.  The progressive output of the DVD player in my AVD-C70ES does not look as good as the non-progressive output, but that could be due to a deficiency in the player.  Also, 960 lines might look better than 480 lines on my 36XBR450, period!

Can you try out the progressive DVD player that you wish to purchanse at home long enough to compare it with whay you have?

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

DoobieWah

Posted: 2004-09-23 21:27

OK...so I ended up going to a local high-end retailer (Paradyme) and spoke at length with the Asst. Mgr.  He told me that there would definitely be a difference between a 5 yr old non P-scan player and the new p-scans.  I asked him about the 775 vs the 975.  He said he just had the specs on the 975; however, except for a slight (read: You may not notice much! ) advantage to the DVI connection, my TV set, the KF-42WE610, already takes the signal it receives and converts it to it's native resolution.  He said that the 975 will upconvert the signal from the DVD, which will then be subject to another conversion by the TV.  He thought that the gain achieved by the DVI connection may be partially lost via the second conversion.  He recommended I try a 775 on the composit in and leave my DVI input with the digital Sat signal.

Well, I took it home with the promise that I could bring it back, no questions asked.

The results??  The picture and the sound from this unit are amazing.  The background details come to life.  The sharpness and clarity in the images is quite noticeable.  The sound?  Definitely a solid gain over my older unit.

The verdict?  This unit is a keeper and highly recommended for anyone looking for a good unit with excellent features for a great price.  The set-up was easy and the menus allow for several adjustments.  One I loved was the ability to adjust the black level, which some have compained was an issue with the LCD projection TVs.  I can't say that the probem is eliminated; however, I noticed a remarkable difference when using picture mode 'Cinema 1', which according to the manual "enhances details in dark areas by increasing black level".

I wasn't thrilled last year when I looked at Sony's 725 DVD player.  The reviews I read on it were lukewarm, at best.  This new 775 is head and shoulders above the 725 and Sony has hit another home run with me!

The Doob

The Doob

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-23 22:13

DoobieWah,

Great to hear that your so excited and satisfied with your new 775 player. As I posted above, I have been waiting for the 975 to hit the streets to check them out based mostly on the upscaling capabilities but after reading your post and the difference in detail that you noticed I will definitely have to give them both consideration. It's good  to hear the enhancement of blacks using the Cinema 1 mode improves the picture with your 42WE610. Thanks for the review and I hope your "keeper" gives you many years of good service.

Joe

DoobieWah

Posted: 2004-09-23 22:31

jttar:

Still playing with the unit.  I'll report anything further that I find out; however, with 8 discs checked so far, I have seen a difference in picture quality in all of them. 

With only one DVI in, I wanted to use it for what was best.  The saleman pointed out to me that they have problems with signal degradation with most of the DVI splitters he's seen and didn't recommend one.  With that in mind, (and a substantial price difference and the fact that he showed me on their units that a signal loss occurs when going from DVI to composite in for digital sat signals), I figured I try this one out.  As with most of us on the forum when we buy new stuff, I have been in and out of all the menus and trying all of the settings.  Watched movies in P-scan and non P-scan.  Very happy at this point, especially considering the alternative was $300 plus a DVI splitter (cost unknown).

I still have a small itch to want to try the 975, but the wife is happy with my liking the less expensive unit....and when Mama's happy, things are good around here!

The Doob

[ This message was edited by: DoobieWah on 2004-09-23 22:32 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-24 15:54

DoobieWah-
    I am happy to hear that you see a big, big improvement with the 975!  Are you using one of the component video inputs or the DVI input on your WE610?  Have you tried both?  Which do you like best?

-----------------
    -John

DoobieWah

Posted: 2004-09-24 17:49

jehill:

Actually, I am testing out the 775, not the 975.  When the salesman (actually, the asst mgr-and quite knowledgable, too!)and I went over the specs at his store, the major difference was the HDMI out and the upscaling.  He saw no other differences on his Sony spec sheet.  He felt that, with only one DVI input on my KF42-WE610, it would be best used with the HD DirecTV receiver.  He said they had been disappointed in the ability of DVI splitters to keep signal quality from degrading and did not recommend one, unless I spent several hundred dollars for a good one...and felt that any gain I got going from the composite out to the HDMI out (with an adapter to DVI) might not even be noticeable.  He pointed to the 975 as upscaling the signal, and said that he was concerned about the TV then 'rescaling' to it's native resolution.  He felt that a standard 480p signal, upscaled only by the TV itself, would produce as good a picture.

We had no way of testing the theory as the 975 won't be in his store until October; however, he did show me a DirecTV signal through my set using DVI, then composite.  There was a noticeable difference.  He said that on other 'DVI out' DVD players that he's had (most notably a Samsung), that the difference was negligible at best and not worth, in his opinion, three times the money of the 775. (I did look at a DVI out Samsung and wasn't impressed...I remember reading that they didn't work well with the Sony's anyway...)

With all of this in mind, and the price issue, that being $300 for the 975, over $200 for a decent DVI splitter, plus an HDMI to DVI adapter and  only just a little over $100 for the 775, I figured I try it.

Besides my comments above, I searched for and found a dark movie to really test this player out.  I chose 'Underworld' for all of the black and greys.  In a side by side comparison with my old player, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  Details in the dark areas of the movie jumped out at me like never before and the sharpness of the picture was wonderful!  The sound processing, through the same optical connection as the old unit, was crisper than before, too.

Well, so much for bantering...but I must say, for the price, this unit stacks up quite nicely with the LCD projection units.   From a price to performance standpoint, well worth a look! 

The Doob 

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-24 18:33

Excellent!  BTW, 975 was a typo.  I forgot that the 775 doesn't include a DVI output.  Anyway, I am glad that you are extremely happy now.

-----------------
    -John

DoobieWah

Posted: 2004-09-24 19:59

jehill:

And now, based on what the salesman said, I'm going to try the SACD capabilities of the unit, too.  He said the difference is amazing on some discs. 

Any opinion??

The Doob

[ This message was edited by: DoobieWah on 2004-09-24 20:13 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-09-25 14:13

I only have a few SACDs.  One has a choice of a stereo track or a multi-channel track.  I can tell you that there is absolutely no comparison between the two.  The multi-channel track definitely sounds much better than the stereo track.  I haven't noticed that much difference between the CD version and the SACD stereo version of an album, but I haven't compared that many.

-----------------
    -John

DoobieWah

Posted: 2004-09-29 19:48

UPDATE

Although this player has one of the best pictures I can find, I have recently gone through three units as 3/10 movies watched this last weekend froze up during playback.  I tried them in my other Sony and an XBox and an el cheapo car player and they did not freeze! 

I took the DVDs to the dealer and their floor model froze up in the exact same spots!  We could not get any of their other players to do this, only the Sony!

They are checking for a new batch of players to be delivered and we'll see what happens.  In the meantime, I'm using my old unit!

Very frustrating, indeed!

The Doob

This topic thread spans 9 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.