Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:194
    Members:0
    Total of:194 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

Hooking up an extra pair of outdoor speakers using my STR-DE975 receiver Dashboard
    Replies: 12 | Views: 14,247
    Last Reply: August 28, 2008, 2:27 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | jttar | jaranha | SonyCIS | ryanfertig |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Hooking up an extra pair of outdoor speakers using my STR-DE975 receiver
    jaranha

Posted: 2004-08-23 16:11

Hello all.

I have a STR-DE975 receiver. There is no A/B speaker switch on this particular receiver. I need to have my outdoor speakers use this receiver as well. Since it does not have a B side speaker connection on the back of the receiver, I'm stuck. Right now I have both the outdoor speaker wires and F (L and R ) speaker wires connected together. Is that a daft thing to do? Whenever I play music or watch movies on DVD the outdoor speakers are live as well because I cant switch them off.

1. What are my options other than invest in another receiver? I really hate to do this considering I paid a good amount to purchase this receiver in the first place.

2. My outdoor speakers are plain generic RCA 8 ohm, 80 watt speaker set.

3. Can I use a speaker switcher in this case? If yes how do I connect it to my receiver.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Jeevan.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-08-23 22:08

jaranha,

Greetings and welcome. A trip to Radio Shack (or online) should solve your problem fairly easy and inexpensive. HERE is their four speaker switch which will let you use the A speakers, the B speakers or the A and B speakers.   THIS one will handle four pairs of speakers. Both switchers have PDF owner manuals you can look at.

Joe

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-08-24 01:02

Great suggestion Joe. A speaker selector switch will work for you just like having a speaker B switch would.

_Maxx

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

jaranha

Posted: 2004-08-24 18:16

Thanks jtarr and Maxxwire.

Here is my dilemna. The back of my receiver has the following speaker connectors only :

Front R
    Front L
    Center
    Rear L
    Rear R

That is all. Seems like this receiver is only setup for a 5.1 system which I presently use it as.

There is no provisions for extra set of speakers i,e the outdoor speakers I have recently installed. I dont think connecting the outdoor speaker wires in tandem with the Front L and R connector is the ideal solution. That worries me.

If I do get a switcher from Radio Shack, how would I hook it up to the connectors on the back of the receiver?

Thanks again.

Jeevan.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-08-24 18:38

Just hook up the left and right front speaker outputs from the Receiver to the speaker switch's input. Then hook up the speakers you are now using and the outside speakers to the speaker switch's outputs.

_Maxx

-----------------

jaranha

Posted: 2004-08-25 10:12

Gotcha! I did just that and its working like a champ. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Appreciate it.

Jeevan.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-08-25 13:45

Now your DE 975 has a speaker A-speaker B switch. Which one did you decide on getting?

_Maxx

-----------------

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-08-25 21:43

jaranha,

Glad to hear that the splitter worked. I love an economical solution and now your neighbors won't know what movies your watching.

Joe

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-08-26 02:51

I use a speaker selector switch on my two sets of rear speakers. It not only gives me the option of which set of speakers is in use, but also a choice of two different signal inputs and volume control for each set of speakers. It wasn't a bad deal for $40.

_Maxx

-----------------

jaranha

Posted: 2004-08-26 10:48

Maxx,

I decided to first try out the cheapest switch that Radio Shack had ($10). It works well for me now.

Yeah jttar - That is precisely why I wanted a switch

Maxx - Which speaker switcher did you get? I'm curious. Also, I might go for the higher pair speaker switch in the not so distant future.

Thanks.

Jeevan.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-08-26 12:55

If you're looking for an upscale speaker selector switch I would suggest checking out the Niles line.

The speaker selector switch I bought for $40 was the price I bought it at from a friend who was no longer using it. I think the original price was closer to $300.

_Maxx

-----------------

ryanfertig

Posted: 2008-08-28 10:46

Hey- Old post I know.... I have an STR597 that does have the A/B switching, however is it possible to silence the "A" speakers (the ones inside the house) and only play the "B" speakers (the ones outside)?

I have a problem where switching to the "B" speakers only doesnt silence the subwoofer which is connected to the "A" speakers and the subwoofer port on the back of the receiver.

What would help me with this issue?

Thanks,
    Ryan

SonyCIS

Posted: 2008-08-28 14:27

Go into setup menu and tell system  no sub--2 channel-, or change soundfield mode to 2 channel(its right before A.F.D. thats it,  or go   http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDE975.PDF here for your man.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.