Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:258
    Members:0
    Total of:258 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

KV-27FS100L 16:9 Mode Flickering Problem Dashboard
    Replies: 12 | Views: 6,029
    Last Reply: October 27, 2005, 6:47 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jttar | jehill | Toli | TTZX | DannyDravot | BrianBBY | eccoboy | mike_crj | discvader |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-27FS100L 16:9 Mode Flickering Problem
    DannyDravot

Posted: 2004-01-23 16:13

When playing DVDs in enhanced mode on my KV-27FS100L TV, I have a very faint horizontal flickering line through the middle of the screen, most noticable when the image is uniform (eg. blue sky or white screen). The flickering disappears when playing the DVDs in standard mode, or viewing a cable or VCR source image (also in standard mode). I am using a Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD Player (model DVD-S25) connected with Monster Component THXV100CV-8 8' Video Cable, and am not sure if the problem lies with the TV, the DVD player, or the cable. I can exchange the TV, but being 100 lbs (the TV, not me) and 3 flights up without an elevator, if I can solve this problem without returning the TV, I'd be a lot happier. Any suggestions?

[ This message was edited by: DannyDravot on 2004-01-23 16:18 ]

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-23 16:21

DannyDravot- I don't believe the KV-27FS100L can display a "progressive" signal. Try switching the output of the DVD player to "interlaced", this should solve your problem.

-----------------
    KDL-52XBR6 w/Salamander Archetype TV65,STR-DA7100ES,BDP-S1,DVP-NS9100ES,DIRECTV HR21,Panamax 5510-PRO ACRegenerator & M1500-UPS;Klipsch:KSF-10.5(2),KSF-C5,KSF-S5(4-2),KSW-15; glass toslinks,Pure Silver i-Link & HDMI,PS3,Harmony 880 Pro

DannyDravot

Posted: 2004-01-23 16:51

Thanks, Toli. I tried changing disabling the progressive video, and it did not help. You have given me some valuable advice, however, as I can now return the monster cable I purchased when I was assured that the TV DID accept progressive video (sneaky salesman!).

[ This message was edited by: DannyDravot on 2004-01-23 16:51 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-23 18:20

The resolution in the 16:9 enhanced mode is superior to that of the standard mode.  If you wish to use the 16:9 enhanced mode, you need to configure the DVD player for 16:9 screen.  If you wish to use the standard mode, you need to configure the DVD player for 4:3 letterbox.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

DannyDravot

Posted: 2004-01-23 21:00

Thanks, John. I've doublechecked, and my settings are correct. I have the DVD aspect ratio set to 16:9 and the progressive video disabled, but I still have a very faint flickering line running horizontally across the screen in enhanced mode. It looks like I'll have to exchange the TV and hope for the best, barring any other suggestions. 

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-23 22:55

DannyDravot- If you want to exchange the TV, you might want to look at one with the ability to display "progressive". If you do get a new TV, then you can keep your new Monster cable.

- Toli KF-50WE610, STR-DA7ES, SAT-HD200, DVP-NS715P; KLIPSCH KSF-10.5(2), KSF-S5(2), KSF-C5, KSW-15, XBOX

[ This message was edited by: Toli on 2004-01-23 23:10 ]

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-24 18:25

On 2004-01-23 22:55, Toli wrote:
    DannyDravot- If you want to exchange the TV, you might want to look at one with the ability to display "progressive". If you do get a new TV, then you can keep your new Monster cable.

- Toli KF-50WE610, STR-DA7ES, SAT-HD200, DVP-NS715P; KLIPSCH KSF-10.5(2), KSF-S5(2), KSF-C5, KSW-15, XBOX

[ This message was edited by: Toli on 2004-01-23 23:10 ]

I agree, if it ends up that you have to go after a different TV, I would look for one that has progressive.

jttar

BrianBBY

Posted: 2004-01-25 11:59

ok, Heres a fix for the "common" flickering problem with the KV-27fs100.

first you have the enter the Service menu. (NOTE: please make sure you write down the number of factory settings in case you want to switch things back to normal)

to enter the service menu while the TV is off press the following buttons in this order: Disp, 5, Vol+, power then 1

you will now notice green text above and below the screen

you use buttons 1 & 4 to scroll through to the appropriate setting and 3 & 6 to make adjustments.

The adjustment for 16:9 mode horizontal flicker repair is labeled:

16:9  and then  16:9
    vsiz                  vlin

it is set to 59 on vsiz and 36 on vlin. (or atleast the one i have was) from the factory.
    by setting it to 63 on both i was able to completely remove the lines.
    To save, press MUTING then ENTER, to reset EVERYTHING press 8 then ENTER.  When saving, there will be a line that says write which will turn red for a moment upon saving.

eccoboy

Posted: 2004-03-28 13:02

I have the same problem with the flickering lines in 16:9 mode.  I took the TV to a repair shop and was basically told that I was being "too picky" and that these are normal scan lines.  I came home and tried making the service menu adjustments listed here.  No luck.  Changing the vsiz and vlin values makes no difference.  Does anyone have any other ideas????  Excellent TV, but  the 16:9 mode is unwatchable with those lines. 

mike_crj

Posted: 2004-05-15 13:31

This sounds like the problem that I was having with my KV27FS100L.  After checking every setting in the service menu, I was able to fix my problem by changing VRFL from 1 to 0.  The VRFL setting is found under DEFD.  Anyone else experiencing this problem should also check that DSD is set to 0.  The DSD setting is found under OTHER.

For more details about the problem that I was experiencing you can read my post on the Home Theater Forum:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189150

If anyone owns a service manual for this TV, I would be interested in knowing what these settings are.  Better yet, if someone could email me the service manual to mike_crj at my yahoo account that would be great.

TTZX

Posted: 2004-05-17 01:23

mike_crj thank you so much, I turned VRFL off and the lines went away.  I posted about this a while ago but nobody knew what I was even talking about.  Now the PQ is crystal clear on bright scenes.  Thanks again.

eccoboy

Posted: 2004-05-18 23:55

THANK YOU mike_crj!!!!!!!!!!!  I've spent hours messing with my TV and I had finally given up on using the 16:9 enhanced feature. Even the technicians at an authorized Sony service center couldn't solve this problem! (Actually they didn't see it as a problem.) I'm sure glad I looked at this forum again!!!!!  Now my TV looks amazing!  Just as good as my friends 60" high definition in my opinion.....Thanks again mike_crj!!

discvader

Posted: 2005-10-27 18:47

On 2004-05-15 13:31, mike_crj wrote:
    This sounds like the problem that I was having with my KV27FS100L.  After checking every setting in the service menu, I was able to fix my problem by changing VRFL from 1 to 0.  The VRFL setting is found under DEFD.  Anyone else experiencing this problem should also check that DSD is set to 0.  The DSD setting is found under OTHER.

Thanks for this very helpful solution!  I've had my KV27FS100L, for a little over a year now and have just lived with that flickering(just not using the 16:9 mode), I did what you suggested and it cleared right up!  If you switch back and fourth from 1 to 0 you can really tell the difference.  Again thanks, cause it's like getting a new TV, just in time for Episode III...

[ This message was edited by: discvader on 2005-10-27 18:49 ]

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.