Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:257
    Members:2
    Total of:259 users
    MemberLogged
    claudio0.0 min
    jehill0.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index MD/CD/SACD

Audiomod.com SACD Modification Site - Negative Comment Dashboard
    Replies: 28 | Views: 4,602
    Last Reply: January 29, 2004, 12:40 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rkkwan | Maxxwire | octong | dorokusai | sharper | Maggiefan | TTZX | Nuno5150 |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Audiomod.com SACD Modification Site - Negative Comment
    dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-18 18:52

Maxx - I have actually spoken with Dan Wright previously, and even he doesn't offer any modifications for that model. If he did, I would certainly go to Dan, before Richard. Oh well, it isn't going to be the last CDP that I will own, so it's not a big deal for now. You know there are always a million other things to get wrapped up in

I am planning on rebuilding the crossovers in my Polk SDA1C's this year, and possibly the internal wiring, if I get real motivated.

Sharper - I have replaced my entire HT w/ Signal brand, as it out-performed all my Monster Cable. I like the Z series in MC, but at that price level, I am not interested in MC any longer. I also run MIT, and while the Signal is fantastic, the MIT is in another class all together. The MIT is on my 2CH dedicated setup anyways.

I have also checked out some other DIY(Belden) manufacturers, Blue Jeans, Canare and Bolder...but Signal has always performed better for me, in my system. Great price, excellent quality and a money back guarantee, make it a no-brainer. Frank Dai, owner, is a great guy, and always available for questions and comments. Drop him a line, and tell him that Mark(Doro) from the Polk Audio forum sent ya...he will get you squared away. Try it out, a double blind demo of some cables is always a cool weekend activity Let me know if you ever pick some up.

[ This message was edited by: dorokusai on 2004-01-18 18:52 ]

[ This message was edited by: dorokusai on 2004-01-18 18:53 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-19 13:07

Doro- While I was at my local Audio shop yesterday a fellow brought his Sony C3333ES in to have it retrofitted with a male IEC connector because he wants to use an aftermarket powercord with it to enhance its performance.

I use both MIT Z-Cord 2 and Transparent Super multiple networked power cords on my Digital equipment and have found that with the added RFI filtration they offer I get a much more dynamic and detailed sound as compared to the stock OEM cords I was using.

-Maxx

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-19 16:08

Maxx - I am going to do that upgrade myself, a little later into the warranty period. I think that is a great upgrade, and fairly simple. It also allows the use of nice manly power cords, like you are using currently. I use Signal Cables' PC's for my gear currently.

Do you like one over the other? Transparent or MIT specifically. They are very similar manufacturers. Transparents owners were previous MIT employees and MIT's original cable manufacturer.

[ This message was edited by: dorokusai on 2004-01-19 16:09 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-19 18:03

Although both the Transparent Super and MIT Z-Cord 2 work better with my Digital equipment than any of the non-network power cords I have tried I would have to say that I am partial to the Transparent power cord and use it in more critical applications such as my Theta outboard DAC and AA DTI Pro 32.

Not many people know that Transparent Audio was the OEM for MIT Cables. I complement you on your knowledge of Cable trivia. Do you know where Monster Cable got their original startup Cable designs from?

-Maxx

-----------------

dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-19 18:18

I know that Bruce Brisson worked there, and has patents on some of their designs...but you say started....hmmmm, no I have no idea. Thanks for the compliment I think it comes from reading too much, and posting very little.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-19 19:45

It was the cable geometry outlined in Bruce Brisson's Master's thesis that got Monster Cable started.

I retrofitted a Conrad Johnson PV-2 Preamp with a male IEC last year and the hardest part was doing the cut out. I ended up using a seperating disc powered by my Fordom flexible shaft tool. After the hole was cut it was easy to install the male IEC that I got from Radar Electric.

I live right in the middle of the largest city in the state and I found these work very well with my Digital equipment, but unless you live in the frequency soup of a large Metro area it probably wouldn't be of much use.

-Maxx

I know that I wouldn't pay for it if I can make something that will sound 90% as good for one tenth the cost or less. -Jon Risch

Dad's Pixel Painting #1

[ This message was edited by: Maxxwire on 2007-08-10 00:35 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-20 13:30

Doro- Speaking of MIT, have you ever tried MIT Digital Coax cable? I've been using an MIT Digital Reference Coax cable for quite some time and the detail it is capable of as well as its ability to clearly define sonic images in the soundstage is quite amazing. I just thought I'd share that since you are an MIT fan too.

-Maxx

-----------------

dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-20 18:30

Maxx - Cool, I was not aware of that at all...Bruce is definetly up there in the pantheon of high end manufacturers. I wish I knew as much as I do now...like 20 years ago.

You know what is really neat, is when some of the designers and manufacturers actually rub elbows with us common folk

I recently bought a CTC BBQ amplifier, and was able to touch base with John Curl and Bob Crump, from CTC Builders on Audio Asylum. I was tickled at the amount of history they offered me, and just tidbits about how they built my amp.

I have not tried that interconnect, tho' I have heard good things about it. I am definetly a MIT fan, and it will probably be the only brand used in the 2CH project I have going on. Maxx I tell you what, when I first demo'd the MIT MI-330 S2, I thought I was going to flip after I heard how much it improved my soundstage over the Monster Cable. I really don't quite know how to express the fullness and immediate focus that happened...it was enlightening.

I have written a review on the demo, but I can't remember whether I posted it here....hmm I have a bad memory. I may have just posted it on Audio Karma and Polk.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-21 13:35

Doro- I have auditioned the MIT MI-330 S2 in my Audio system and I agree with you that it is a Monster slayer. If memory serves the S2 is designed for sources with medium range output impedence, correct?

-Maxx

-----------------

dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-21 15:24

Maxx - You are correct. That model was available in a high, medium and low impedence. The new MIT Shotgun S2 has the impedence switch built into the network box, so there isn't a need to order a specific interconnect anymore. I think that is a much better design for the consumer, as you see quite a few of the earlier models on Audiogon.

There is a guy, who works for MIT, that posts on Audiogon very frequently with excellent prices on their gear. Joe Abrams is his ID, and he moves demo's all the time, if you ever get into the market for something new.

[ This message was edited by: dorokusai on 2004-01-21 15:26 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-21 17:19

Variable impedence would make the MIT Shotgun S2 a very practical improvement over the MI 330 S2 which didn't work all that well with the 50 ohm output of my Theta DAC. I finaly decided to go with the Transparent Ultra which is also a networked IC.

-Maxx

-----------------

dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-22 08:12

Maxx - I agree, it is a much better idea for versatility. No worries, you picked up another cable that is a fantastic performer. I like the network box idea, tho' I am not 100% on its function. Have you read the MIT White Papers?

I organized a tour of Polk Audio HQ last year, and Matt Polk talked to us for about an hour. He mentioned what that network box is, and what it does, as Polk Audio also made cables ages ago. I will have to probe deep in the memory to dig up what he stated, but it was a simple function, he said it was nothing crazy or alienlike...but the proof is in the pudding I guess.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-22 13:59

The theory behind the use of network boxes on Transparent Cable IC is that it is used to adjust the resistance and impedence characteristics of the cable to the exact specs of the ideal length of cable which they determined in their Labs to be 32' long. They use a couple of hours of calibration time on a $75,000 machine for each pair of the Ultra XL and Reference XL grade cables that they make.

I would imagine that other cable manufacturers have different uses for their network boxes, but this is the way Transparent calibrates theirs.

-Maxx

-----------------

Nuno5150

Posted: 2004-01-29 00:40

I have the DVP-NC555ES sacd/dvd/mp3 player and its in the silver color.  I just got it a few weeks ago.

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.