Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:165
    Members:0
    Total of:165 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index MD/CD/SACD

Audiomod.com SACD Modification Site - Negative Comment Dashboard
    Replies: 28 | Views: 4,597
    Last Reply: January 29, 2004, 12:40 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rkkwan | Maxxwire | octong | dorokusai | sharper | Maggiefan | TTZX | Nuno5150 |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Audiomod.com SACD Modification Site - Negative Comment
    dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-11 14:42

I recently came across the site www.audiomod.com It was listed as a site that performs the atypical modifications to the high end SACD players from Sony. Modwright also performs the same basic modifications. I contacted the site regarding my SCD-C555ES, 5 spinner, and asked if it was able to be modofied. I will post the original query and replies, both of which I found a little arrogant. PLease let me know what you think of the emails, and if I am just overreacting.

DORO

Hello,

I caught your ad in Audiogon, and it piqued my interest.I was wondering whether you have done any work on the newer changers, specifically the SCD-C555ES?

I think the sound from most Sony transports, are a bit clinical and dry, but I am a real ES level fan. What would be your thoughts on softening or adding some life to the 555ES?

Thanks for your time.

RESPONSE #1

The C555ES is not new. I decided several years ago not to modify this

model of player because the model that replaced it was much better.

That model being the XA-777ES.

Richard Kern

Audiomod

My first question is, has the SCD-C555ES been disco'd? And if I recall, the C555ES was not replaced by the 777ES, it is/was the model below it, and a changer, not single tray. Am I correct? We all know that the 777ES is a benchmark from Sony, as well as the SCD-1.

DORO

Richard,

The SCD-C555ES is the changer version for SACD, it has not been replaced by the XA-777ES. The 777ES is one of the benchmarks for Redbook/SACD playback IMO, its a fantastic machine.

Does your answer mean that the C555ES is not able to be modified, or that you choose to not modify it?

I appreciate your timely response.

RESPONSE #2

The SCD-C555ES is discontinued, it is not longer made. The XA-777ES

which replaced it, is a much better machine. I do not modify the SCD-555ES

because it was never a good machine to begin with. 

Do youself a favor, buy the new XA-9000ES which replaces the XA-777ES.

Richard Kern

Audiomod

Now while Mr. Kern is I am sure, a very knowledgeable and capable individual....why would he, as I see it, insult my personal gear? Not all of us wish to, or are able to get into the 777ES level of player. I was very unhappy with his colored answer to me, and regardless of future additions to my own rig, if its Sony ES....and I wanted it modified, guess where I am not going.

Your thoughts Agoraquest?
    SONY STR-DA2ES 6.1 HT SONY SCD-555ES SACD Polk Audio RTi38 (Main) Polk Audio CSi30 (Center) Polk Audio FXi30 (Surround) Polk Audio PSW202 (Sub) Signal Cable (Video Interconnects - All) Signal Cable (Speaker Cable - All) Audioquest Diamondback (SAC

[ This message was edited by: dorokusai on 2004-01-11 14:44 ]

[ This message was edited by: dorokusai on 2004-01-11 14:45 ]

[ This message was edited by: dorokusai on 2004-01-11 14:53 ]

Maggiefan

Posted: 2004-01-11 14:50

I agree with you that he is being very arrogant. Isn't the model you're talking about the new ES model that matches the new line of ES recievers? He doesn't know what he's talking about in that respect for sure.

-----------------
    Larry

dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-11 15:00

Larry - Thanks, at least I am not crazy Nah, its the black edition, older I presume would be safe to say at this point. I did however pick it up not even a year ago, and it was made in 2002, so go figure.

-----------------
    SONY STR-DA2ES
    SONY SCD-555ES
    Polk Audio RTi38 (Main)
    Polk Audio CSi30 (Center)
    Polk Audio FXi30 (Surround)
    Polk Audio PSW202 (Sub)
    Signal Cable (Video Interconnects - All)
    Signal Cable (Speaker Cable - All)
    Signal Cable (A2 5.1 SACD)

Maggiefan

Posted: 2004-01-11 15:15

OK, well it's still a lousy way to treat a potential customer....  btw, i see we have the same center speaker.

-----------------
    Larry

rkkwan

Posted: 2004-01-11 15:17

There are other people who are pleased to get your business modifying cheaper players like the C222ES or CE775. This guy apparently doesn't care, or want your business.

-----------------
    -Ray
    SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Rotel RCD-961
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2
    Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

TTZX

Posted: 2004-01-12 00:32

What does modifying the player do?

rkkwan

Posted: 2004-01-12 10:34

• Member Quote

On 2004-01-12 00:32, TTZX wrote:

What does modifying the player do?

Make them sound better. [Or I should say "Make them seem better sounding to you." ] If you're asking about what's involved, it's usually changing the capacitors, power supply, or other components.

-----------------
    -Ray
    SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Rotel RCD-961
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2
    Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-12 13:11

dorokusal- I met Richard Kern about 3 years ago and have on many occasions since enjoyed talking extensively with him about what it takes to modify an SACD player. It is not as simple as just replacing some parts with higher grade parts. Richard has to go through and map the entire circuitry that is to be modified of each model and then redesign a modification parts scheme for each particular model.

When Richard told you that he didn't modify the SCD C555ES I would take it to mean that he had not done a redesign schematic for the modification of that particular model. At this point in time it would not be practical for him to do a whole modification workup for just one unit, and the bill would be astounding.

I am sad to hear that you had such a sour experience with Richard. He has always come off as a regular kind of a guy to me.

One day at the Audio shop we frequent he went through the entire stock of used Digital equipment and he told me what each of the many pieces he had owned over the years that were represented there sounded like. After owning that much gear over the years and knowing them inside and out he is not shy about calling a piece he didn't care for a piece of crap. I don't consider that snobbery, just honesty based on experience.

Richard has worked his way up every rung on the ladder slinging solder all of the way and he never came off as an Audio snob to me.

I don't think he was trying to insult your SACD changer so much as he was encouraging you to get a model that he does modify. And as far as the XA 777ES goes, it will easily blow away the SCD-1. There are not many players in this league and if yours is not one of them then join he rest of us who don't have that caliber of equipment .....yet.

-Maxx

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

dorokusai

Posted: 2004-01-14 17:20

Maxx - Yes, like I said, I imagine he knows what he is doing...I have no doubt that he is a very capable man. I was just a little turned off by his choice of words. I agree that it is not simple sometimes to enhance a piece of equipment, not usually plug and play, it was just a quest for knowledge.

I think that it would be worth his time, to at least address it formally...its not like I am the only "lesser" model owners around, you know? A couple simple mods would be very nice to entertain.

No big deal, I think it is neat that you have had some 1 on 1 contact with him. I like to hear that some of the real audio gurus actually are not fake I have had contact with Bob Crump and John Curl about my CTC BBQ amplifier, and they were very informative, and helpful.

octong

Posted: 2004-01-14 19:48

Hey Maxx

As always I respect your opinion but have to stand up for the slightly bigger brother of my player in this case
    There's definitely debate both ways about which of the two is the overall more desirable player. If you put much emphasis on multi-channel (I don't) then the xa is definitely what you want obviously but in a stereo times article I found when first researching my player Richard Kern  actually was quoted as picking it (SCD-777ES) above the xa-777es with a Marantz next and the SCD-1 rounding out the top of his list.

Maxx,
    Can't remember if I've posted that since getting the 777 back from repair I've been using it as a straight transport with the two channel DA section of my denon dvp-9000 as an outboard DAC for redbook. Sounds pretty amazing.

-----------------
    --Rob--

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-14 22:37

Rob- The people whom I know who are the most enthusiastic about the XA 7777ES are the ones who have Richard's tube output mod. AFAIK this mod is what makes the XA 777ES more the desirble model for them, but it does cost around $3,000. Ouch!

Its good to hear from you again. Didn't you get one of the last known NIB TA N90ES Power Amps a while back? How do you like having this classic piece of iron in your Audio system thus far?

-Maxx

-----------------

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-14 23:06

Doro- Another fellow I know from my local Audio hangout is Dan Wright. Dan does a much wider variety of modifications than Richard does and has a sterling reputation for his fine work on many different makes and models of Audio gear.

I have already discussed proposed modifications on my Tube preamp with Dan and he offered me an equally effective and yet more economical mod than the original designer does. In fact Dan offered to do the power supply mod for $300 compared to the original designer's price of $850 for the same modification.

If you are still interested in modifying your CD player you may want to contact Dan thru his website at:

http://www.modwright.com/

I can't guarantee that he does the specific work that you are looking to have done, but I do know that Dan is a great guy and that he will be upfront with you about whether or not he can do the modification.

-Maxx

-----------------

octong

Posted: 2004-01-15 21:05

Maxx,
    Still completely thrilled with the 90es. The system had been in a state of flux waiting for a couple of pieces to get back but they've been back and plugged in for awhile and are broken in (a couple were speakers that were unused when I got them so the drivers were still pretty stiff). Also went through and completely rewired everything to track down a small noise issue and now everything sounds great. Since getting the scd777es back I've been listening in two channel direct mode a lot (although in my atypical setup two channel doesn't really mean two speakers) both for sacd and also with the 777 passing through the denon for redbook and am feeling pretty happy with at least the audio portion of my life. The 90 in conjunction with the rest of that setup gives a really wonderful lush sound. I've been hoping to find another 90es so if anyone sees one let me know. Stopped looking over the holidays and missed the first one that's been listed on audiogon since about the time I got mine ... damn.

Next step is to do the crossover upgrade for the Fortes but not in a big rush for that. I'd actually be in a bigger hurry but it sounds like it's going to be a little bit of a pain to do and require taking things apart again which goes against the grain of the slightly lazy phase I'm going through.

[ This message was edited by: octong on 2004-01-15 21:08 ]

sharper

Posted: 2004-01-17 09:43

Doro,
           Yep, he didn't exactly come across as a warm person in those responses. The guy could be inundated with emails...I dunno. But his replies are pretty much conversation stoppers as opposed to someone volleying the ball back over the net to maybe drum up some business if you follow what I'm saying.

I have the C555ES as well. It seems OK to me. I had the Parasound belt drive transport with the tube Audio Logic 2400 DAC before. C555 isn't as warm of course. I still like the Musical Fidelity 324 DAC that my friend has. I think one of the mod companies (I think it was modWright) did mods to the C555 but stopped offering mods to all carousel players - I thought they mentioned on their web site that they were too hard to work with (limited space inside). PartsConnexion will do mods to it. I asked Chris about it 2 weeks ago. Call him. If I remember correctly he offers an analog output stage mod (no tubes) for around $600-$700 US and can replace the clock for around $300-$400US.

btw, How do you like the Signal cables? Is the positive feedback rave review accurate or overblown?

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-17 17:37

Both clock mods and Analog output stage mods are very beneficial if you can find the right mod man to do it.

-Maxx

[ This message was edited by: Maxxwire on 2004-01-17 18:26 ]

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.