Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:247
    Members:0
    Total of:247 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index MD/CD/SACD

Player Burn In Question Dashboard
    Replies: 10 | Views: 1,920
    Last Reply: January 3, 2004, 7:56 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rkkwan | Maxxwire | octong | delias |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Player Burn In Question
    delias

Posted: 2003-12-30 09:22

Can somebody explain what's behind the advantages of burning in an SACD player?  I've read a lot of posts that comment on how much better SACDs will sound after a new player has been run for X-hours. In particular, I'd really like to know:

- What really happens to the player during this period?

- Don't the manufacturers burn in their players before shipping them?

- Are separate burn ins required for stereo and multichannel and redbook CDs on the same player?

- How many hours are recommended and does it depend on whose player it is?

- Is there any truth to the statements that burn ins "wear out" if you don't use the player for awhile?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-12-30 09:33

"Burn-Ins" is something that some people believes in, some don't. There may be more validity to a speaker or display, less on an amp, and even less on a digital source. Basically, if you can hear a difference, then go ahead. I can't hear a difference, except for my speakers, but even that I think it's probably more me getting used to the sound than the speakers "burning-in".

My suggestion is this - Just go enjoy your player, and stop worrying about things like this. However, don't judge and do critical writings of a disc or your player on the AVS Forum, or write to the editor of Stereophile, until you've used the player for a while. Let yourself familiarize with the player for a few weeks at least.

-----------------
    -Ray
    SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Rotel RCD-961
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2
    Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

delias

Posted: 2003-12-30 15:54

Thanks for your comment - i'm definitely not worried about it...just trying to determine if this falls on the fact or fiction side.  I had the same thought that if I listen to something several times in a row, it starts sounding better each time anyway -- the powers of concentration!  -- Have a good new year - DE

octong

Posted: 2003-12-30 22:42

I'm far from an expert (and look forward to other responses from those who are) but think if you're using the digital source strictly as a transport with your processor or outboard DAC handling d->a then you wouldn't see any difference ... or at least much .... between a new and 'burned in' player'. I think it's the dac's and other parts of the analog output section that require the (claimed) burn in.

I used to be a non-believer but have slowly changed my tune. When I got my scd-777es it sounded like butt when compared to my xa7es on redbook but, based on the info in a couple of reviews, left it on repeat pretty much 24-7 for a week or two and I perceived a big difference through that period. Power of suggestion certainly could explain all of my change in perception but I'm a pretty skeptical person by nature and not too suggestible.

-----------------
    --Rob--

delias

Posted: 2003-12-31 01:33

Thanks Rob - my main player is a SCD-775 which I got at an amazingly low price.  I've compared this player to a couple other bargain systems in an apples to apples fashion and it is clearly a bigger and more accurate, open sound.  Amazing compared to anything I've ever heard on CD. I don't know how "good" CD can sound, but some seem to think it can be comparable. I've never heard anything on CD anywhere close to the remasters of Dylan, The Stones (Let It Bleed), Roxy Music Avalon and a few others. 

I don't use any outboard gear (how can you do that anyway since the audio out is analog RCA jacks only?).

I'm just want to try to get the best sound from the player before upgrading other parts of the system (speakers are likely to be next). I don't mind turning it on and letting it run to see what happens...would a stereo SACD be any different than a multichannel SACD?

Thanks again and happy new year - DE

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2003-12-31 14:35

The most extensive descriptions of burn in for SACD players that I have seen were for the SCD-1 and SCD 777ES models.

As for why this is so, a while back I was talking to Richard Kern whose company Audiomod is one of the most reputable modfiers of SACD players in the U.S., and he was telling me that the SCD-1 had nearly 1,000 op-amps in its circuitry. This prolific parts count could account for the need for a break in period.

-Maxx

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

octong

Posted: 2004-01-02 08:50

Delias,
    When I was talking about using an outboard dac I meant for non-sacd's using the digital out on my 777.

-----------------
    --Rob--

delias

Posted: 2004-01-02 10:32

OK Rob and Maxxwire - thanks again for your help... for what it's worth, I started burning an inexpensive Philips 763SA I bought online for $99 -- it died after less than a day! 

Now it won't play the complete first song on any disc I try -- it flashes "DISC ERROR" or other messages after a minute or so...Back to the "you get what you pay for" theory.  It would be a good value if it worked as a cheap DVD video and SACD player.  It didn't even sound that bad compared to the Sony 775. 

This is why the manufacturer should burn these things in! 

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-03 00:01

Sorry to hear about your Phillip's burn in burn out. Its like they are now making a new generation of very inexpensive disposable payers that are built to be used only for a short time and then be replaced with another inexpensive unit.

-Maxx

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

delias

Posted: 2004-01-03 19:42

well, inexpensive is ok, but unreliable won't exactly get them repeat customers -- at least not in my case!  it seems these companies (like sony and philips) are using DVD to get people into the SACD market.  they sell a DVD player at a good price and it "happens" to play SACD. 

that's ok with me if the system would just work.  The philips 763SA actually sounded a lot better playing standard redbook CDs compared to an inexpensive TEAC through the same amp, speaker system.  this is low-end consumer stuff, but SACD could catch fire that way couldn't it?  i sure hope it does, i have an SACD disc out there i'm trying to promote!

rkkwan

Posted: 2004-01-03 19:56

While I'm one of the biggest supporter of SACD around here, with about 80 discs from around the world, it's still hard for me to explain to the non-audiophiles why we need SACDs.

Most people can't distinguish MP3 from CD quality, and there's already DD/DTS to provide multi-channel...

SACD (and DVD-A) will probably remain a niche product, even if many labels switch to single-inventory hybrid SACDs. The regular consumer just don't care.

-----------------
    -Ray
    SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Rotel RCD-961
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2
    Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.