Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:226
    Members:1
    Total of:227 users
    MemberLogged
    SONYESP2.2 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index MD/CD/SACD

MZN 910(just got it) Dashboard
    Replies: 14 | Views: 2,433
    Last Reply: January 1, 2004, 11:09 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Tiny_Turtle | haesslich | geoffrey_cr |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author MZN 910(just got it)
    geoffrey_cr

Posted: 2003-12-10 03:53

Well I took Tiny Turtle's advice and I just got the mzn910 last night (173).. I really couldnt believe how samll it is. I felt like I could break it but it once I got use to the size I realized that it is very solid.

Sorry guys but here comes the questions.
    First of all I can't believe sony would supply such a good produst with such a crapy set of headphones!!! could you recomend a good set. I want to spend for the most 30 and I think I'll prefer the ear buds.

I was really impressed witht he quality of the player but I wasnt really blow away by the volume level. I will mainly be recording from my computer so is their anyway to record at a higher volume???

When I was importing song from my CD'S to sonic stage it was saying that the convertion wasnt optimized and I had a choice between 132kbps or 66kbps.. what on earth does this mean????

Anyway I am really impressed with the player (173.00)
    If anyone could think of any tips to increase the quality or volume level of the recording I will apreciate it..

Thanking you guys in advance.

geoffrey_cr

Posted: 2003-12-10 05:06

Ive been reading about these:

Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones

are they any good and are they suited for the mzn910

Tiny_Turtle

Posted: 2003-12-10 05:20

Yay! What colour did you go for?

Earbuds:
    I'd like to suggest something similar to what I'm using myself. This as it might help you on the low-output issue as well. Sony has an earbud called MDR-EX71LP (and a somewhat cheaper sibling MDR-EX51LP) while I use the older but very similar EX70. These look a bit different from your normal earphones as they go further into your ear and double as ear plugs.

Advantages with this:
    1. They stay in your ear better. Definately less susceptible to falling out.
    2. They block outside noise (also without music they supress outside sound) meaning less distractive noise.
    3. Since it "closes" the ear better, the bass is way better.
    4. Less leakage of music to the outside, meaning fewer annoyed co-commuters on the bus.
    Disadvantages:
    1. The bass can get a bit "boomy" it depends on your musical tastes really.
    2. Eavesdropping on anybody else is difficult as well as hearing the horn of the car about to hit you on a zebra crossing.
    3. The long cord is kind of sucky when you got a remote for the MD. Look for the short-corded MDR-EX71SL model (AV-Land carry those) instead.

Volume level:
    In my Nero (Burning ROM) there's a "Maximise" option for normalisation, i.e. make it as loud as possible without clipping might work for your purposes.

132/66 kbps:
    This is the bitrate for ATRAC3 tracks. It's the same thing (albeit NOT comparable) to the bitrate of MP3s, i.e. the higher the bitrate, the more data is being sent and the quality is better (althugh takes more place on the MD).

/Tiny MD Member

P.S.
    Don't forget to Check out minidisc.org, one of the best (or maybe the best)MD resources on the net.

Tiny_Turtle

Posted: 2003-12-10 05:22

Geofferey,
    "Great minds think alike..."

/Tiny Overlap

geoffrey_cr

Posted: 2003-12-10 05:30

Thanks alot for your help.

I think I'll have to do alot of reading as I'm new to all this stuff...

Thanks again for you advice,,,

geoffrey_cr

Posted: 2003-12-10 07:52

After searching high and low.. the web site you sent me was the only place that has the MDR-EX71LP in stock for a decent price these things are out of stock on nearly every web site ..I should have just listened to you in the first place

I ordered them and I should recieve them on Friday.

All I have to do now is figure out how to increase the volume.. I'm still quiet not to sure what to do.

i have nero but what should i do??

Tiny_Turtle

Posted: 2003-12-10 08:44

Since I do not own a NetMD unit (using an old ES deck without MDLP) I transfer some mp3 tracks from the computer using a CDRW which I then play in my CD-player. Whenever I make such a compilation I enter the properties for each track (click on one once and then Ctrl + Enter). On one of the tabs there is a normalisaation option. Just choose maximum and Nero will cram the extra juice out of the track. How this would apply on MP3s I haven't figured out, but perhaps it could be a good starting point for you.

Look around a bit in this forum (in the MD/CD/SACD section). I have made some posts earlier with recommendations and links to useful software like the "Simple Burner" program shipped with U.S. MDs. This one gives you the opportunity to copy a whole CD to MD without having to use any intermediate steps. A cool trick is that Simple Burner used in conjuction with Nero's ability to mount "virtual drives" enables you to create a virtual CD twice the size of a normal CD and then fill it with 160 minutes of music and "Simple Burn" the whole thing to MD without all that "Check out" crap.

Still, which colour?

/Tiny Software

P.S.
    Don't forget to tell us if you like the headphones come friday!

geoffrey_cr

Posted: 2003-12-11 04:55

I got the silver mzn910...

have you ever seen the blue one.which one do you prefer and what do you think about the price?

As soon as I get the sony MDR-EX71LP headphones i'll let you know what i think.

I still can't believe that such a good player was supplied with such an pathetic pair of buds... they couldnt even fit in my ear...

one more question i have a digi camera sony dsc p52,, it was supplied with 2 sony rechargable batteries( 2100 mAh NiMH rechargeable AA ) along with a charger,,, could i use these batteries in the md player?

Tiny_Turtle

Posted: 2003-12-11 05:22

I like the blue one judging by the pics haven't seen one live (could be a Japanese-only color I bought a blue Japanese E909 and that color wasn't available on the "world model").

Price: No idea, haven't checked the market good enough (especially not outside Sweden).

As for the pathetic ear phones: Say that they spent the extra money on some MDR-E888SPs with every N910, thereby raising the prize. Ok, but I like to use D66 "eggos" or perhaps I'm a Koss PortaPro fan. then the expensive ear phones were useless...

You mean to use the batteries in the external battery compartement? Sure, just as long as they are ~1.5V

/TT

geoffrey_cr

Posted: 2003-12-12 03:55

Just spoke to someone from AV-Land they said they are hoping to get some of the headphones that I ordered in 2 weeks. Even though before I placed my order the guy told me that they have them in stock.

I guess I'll have to wait a while.

As soon as I get them I'll let you know what I think

geoffrey_cr

Posted: 2003-12-18 03:23

Hi.,.

Got the headphones..

I wasn't impressed at all.......... but when I tried the Large ear budS,,, and got it fit in properly I was like.. woooooooooow!!!!
    It's the best BASS.. I had ever herd comming from a headphone.....

I really had to fiddle around to get the correct correct fit but when I did it was great....
    The quality is great,, and I'm hearing things in my old CD's that I have never herd before....

It took me a couple hrs to get the right size and then I had to fiddle around to find out what's the best way to fit them in my ear... I realized that It doesn't have to be rammed right in for it not to fall out. It's really comfortable and the sound.... wow....

The best thing is that I havnt listened to it yet on my Sony MD 910 yet.. thats still under the christmas tree... I tried it on my 6 year old cd player and I'm still impressed.

Anyway thanks for the great advice Tiny Turtle....

Tiny_Turtle

Posted: 2003-12-18 03:59

Yay!

Glad things worked out for you. Still holding my thumbs (local variation on crossing one's fingers) on you getting an acceptable output w/ the N910. I bought my mom a R410 for Christmas and tried it in the store with my EX70s and that one sounded nice enough. Would be nice with a final on this question as it has popped up here quite a few times.
    At the store where I bought the R410 the salesman claimed the Sharp models had considerably more oompf in 'em so if the N910 don't work out, you might want to investigate that path.

Your ears must be a bit weird (the supplied earbuds wouldn't fit but you had to use the "L"-sized buds for the EX71s...) Mine worked fine out of the box.

Oh, and please call me Tiny. Turtle is just my last name

/Santa's Tiny Helper

haesslich

Posted: 2004-01-01 14:20

Warning: If you get the EX-71's - get an extended warantee plan if possible. My old EX70LPs died a few days ago, without warning - one ear just won't work right now, like there's a loose connection. If you do have an MD player with a remote, though, by all means go for the SPs, if at all possible.

At least, in my experience, the EX-71s do sound a little better than the EX-70s when it comes to the trebles, though there's only a mild improvement after the earbuds themselves get worked in through some music.

Either way, they're probably the best earbuds I've ever had and about the only headphones I'll carry. And unlike most, they'll actually STAY in my ear.

geoffrey_cr

Posted: 2004-01-01 17:06

Well just came back from a 2 week holiday.

Which also means I got to test the MD player and new Headphones in all conditions including a 4hr train journey and 1hr in London's underground.

The quality of the player is excellent . When I first listened to it with the stock headphones I was really disappointed. I then tried an old sony headphones that I have owned for ages(Sony MDR-W0 it sounded really good and the volume was great. Not extremley loud but loud.

But only until I got the sony MDR-EX71LP earbuds did I realise the quality of this unit. Great quality and with these earbuds you cant hear any outside noise. I used it in the Lodon underground and all I could hear is my music .

I also had a 6hr train journey an the earbuds were really comfortable and never fell out.

Only one slight downside. With the earbuds I do wish I had a little more volume and it is missing the oompf....  lets say the volume I got from my old headphones was 10 out of 10, then I would say that with the earbuds the volume decrease to 7 out of 10.

I'm not saying that is quiet, it is fairly loud but sometimes I wish I could turn up the vloume a couple notches.

On a good note there is no need to drown out outside noises because I came guarantee that with the earbuds you will be hearing only your music (I even asked my girlfriend to scream while I was wearing them and I didnt hear anything )

Overall this unit is one of the best things I ever bought. Great quality, feels solid and with the earbuds it the best listening experience I ever had.

Anyway thanks for the great advice Tiny

haesslich

Posted: 2004-01-01 23:09

• Member Quote

On 2004-01-01 17:06, geoffrey_cr wrote:
    Only one slight downside. With the earbuds I do wish I had a little more volume and it is missing the oompf.... lets say the volume I got from my old headphones was 10 out of 10, then I would say that with the earbuds the volume decrease to 7 out of 10.

I'm not saying that is quiet, it is fairly loud but sometimes I wish I could turn up the vloume a couple notches.

One question - was AVLS on? That'd take a lot of 'oomph' out of it, and the earbuds DO need some 'burning in' to get them ready to sound loud - I noticed it with the Ex-70s and then the 71's, that you need to have them running for a good 12+ hours of usetime before the treble doesn't immediately get overridden by the bass. That's what I suspect some of the 'muddy sound' comments come from; it works itself out slowly over the course of several hours.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.