Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:174
    Members:1
    Total of:175 users
    MemberLogged
    flipflopflor38.6 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index MD/CD/SACD

SACD II in September Dashboard
    Replies: 15 | Views: 3,148
    Last Reply: January 9, 2004, 9:27 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rkkwan | Maxxwire | Galley | rb | bhealy | ES_Revenge |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author SACD II in September
    bhealy

Posted: 2003-11-26 03:59

I guess Sony and Philips are nervous about dualdisc.

I don't know why.

SACD needs better titles and less extra content.

It's more popular right now than dvd-a without the extra content.

If the format gets Elvis on sacd, and Warner (PLEASE!)
    IMO Dvd-a will die. I think dvd-a is hurtin' right now.

What do you guys think??

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-11-26 09:24

DVD-A is hurting, but Warner has finally put things together correctly with the new The Flaming Lips title. I bought it. Sounds great, everything is there and everything works, plus you get the standard CD in the same jewel case. I heard the new Bare Naked Ladies is the same.

My DVD-A collection has crept up to 11, after stuck at 9 for months. [The other is Kitaro's Best of Silk Road. Rare DVD-A from a small indepedent company, Domo. They are also releasing fresh stuff on SACD as well.] If Warner keeps doing this right, then I can see my number going up some more soon. It'll never catch SACD, but it should survive.

-----------------
    -Ray
    SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Rotel RCD-961
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2
    Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

rb

Posted: 2003-11-26 22:57

Why does it matter how DVDA is doing against SACD. I have both players and enjoy them equally.It should be about the music.

I'm a HUGE fan of multi-channel music when it's done correctly. Frankly it does not matter what format it is.

What would happen if they both survive and thrive? I think it's mostly the media that continues to think that there is actually a format war. It seems to me that it's people that don't even own a DVDA player that are concerned with SACD winning. WHY?

rb

bhealy

Posted: 2003-11-27 02:05

This is just my opinion, but the reason I want sacd to become THE standard is because it sounds better to me.

Dvd-a can have all of those sampling rates, and go back to 16-bit. Ugh. I think the only sampling rate that's ok with dvd-a is 192k; which hardly any of them use, plus it can't be used on surround.

One sampling rate for everything on sacd.

I know some people disagree with me on that, but that's what I think.

I'm tired of pcm and think dsd is better. If every title that comes out on dvd-a also comes out on sacd, GREAT. Title for title they are the same, no problem. I want to hear the sacd version of Zep's HTWWW.

I think the differences are subtle but there.

I just love how dsd sounds and want my fav music on that format. Period.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2003-11-27 14:47

Didn't BMI buy Warner this week? I wonder how that is going to effect DVD-A production?

-Maxx

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

bhealy

Posted: 2003-11-27 16:48

Some investment group bought Warner music.

EMI got the shaft.

No one who's talking really knows the impact of the deal on dvd-a

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2003-11-28 13:14

Here's an AP news article on the Warner Music buy out:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worldbiz/archives/2003/11/26/2003077354

-Maxx

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Galley

Posted: 2003-12-07 20:28

There needs to be more SACD hardware! Every Sony DVD player over $129 should play SACDs. There should be SACD players for the car (even if they are limited to stereo playback). There should be SACD drives for the PC!

-----------------
    Life is what you experience between racing games
    Galley

bhealy

Posted: 2003-12-08 04:03

What we've all been saying for months, Galley.

rb

Posted: 2003-12-08 10:31

Where did this SACD II rumour start, I can't find any info on it in the audio press other than on this site.

rb

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-12-08 10:37

rb - I read about SACD II on highfidelityreview.com, which is a respectable site with good information. Apparently, not all the time.

-----------------
    -Ray

bhealy

Posted: 2003-12-08 18:29

I can't understand why HFR put that old link up.
    I saw it and just put it on here..

Yeah usually they are pretty good with their info but this was a brainfart on their part and I posted it too!
    Shouldn't have.

ES_Revenge

Posted: 2004-01-09 01:17

On 2003-12-07 20:28, Galley wrote:
    There needs to be more SACD hardware! Every Sony DVD player over $129 should play SACDs. There should be SACD players for the car (even if they are limited to stereo playback). There should be SACD drives for the PC!

Isn't this already pretty much the case though?  Well not with MSRPs but with street prices it is...

The DVP-NS725P and NS730P have (street) prices around $130 US don't they?  The next step up (still the NS755V it seems?) is SACD/DVD but I guess its street price is usually more towards $200...  The same is the case for the NC685V changer--around $200.  Perhaps a big jump but are there any players from Sony in between?

But definitely SACD for the car and Sony is on their a$$ saying "no plans for that in the immidiate future" :rolleyes:  The PC?  I doubt that right now, well they are trying to protect the content here--not easy to do once it gets on PC...

I think EVERY CD Sony makes from any of its music divisions should be Hybrid discs.  If they were people would start switching a lot more quickly.  They'd be like "hey I have a higher quality version of this music on here that I just need a ~$200 player to play--plus if I get a combo DVD/SACD player, it will be a pretty darn decent DVD player as well!"  If this were the case people would be buying SACD players left, right and centre.

But nooooo, Sony hasn't really started doing that.  In fact I think all the Hybrid discs are 3rd party--I don't think Sony Music divisions have made ANY hybrid SACD/CDs!  What fools!

rkkwan

Posted: 2004-01-09 10:34

ES_Revenge:

1. SACD in the car isn't really that important. Most people who spends big money on car audio want it loud all the time, and absolute sound quality isn't something that important. In fact, with the wide dynamic range of many good recordings, it'd be very difficult to listen in a moving car without turning up and down the volume dial all the time. And multi-channel reproduction is also very problematic. The guys sitting in the back will mostly get reverbs, and can't hear the main sound - that's what a lengthy review of the Acura TL's DVD-A system reports.

2. One of Sony's biggest goofs in SACD's introduction is that they invested in several production line early on making single-layer discs. I guess they didn't realize how important the hybrid disc would be at that time. But they understand their mistakes and have begun making hybrid discs. There are now many hybrid discs from them: Barbara Streisand, James Taylor (2 titles), The Thorns, Voldoso's Tchaikovsky Piano Con.#1, James Carter, Heart "Live", and don't forget the Bob Dylan remasteres...

-----------------
    -Ray

ES_Revenge

Posted: 2004-01-09 20:25

On 2004-01-09 10:34, rkkwan wrote:
    ES_Revenge:

1. SACD in the car isn't really that important. Most people who spends big money on car audio want it loud all the time, and absolute sound quality isn't something that important. In fact, with the wide dynamic range of many good recordings, it'd be very difficult to listen in a moving car without turning up and down the volume dial all the time. And multi-channel reproduction is also very problematic. The guys sitting in the back will mostly get reverbs, and can't hear the main sound - that's what a lengthy review of the Acura TL's DVD-A system reports.

rkkwan, yeah I understand what you are saying and from the standpoint of someone using DVD-A or SACD in the car you are quite right.  BUT I wasn't really talking about that aspect per se.  What I mean was there are several decks both aftermarket and factory that offer DVD-A for the car.  There is not a single SACD player for the car.

In terms of winning the popularity contest (really the key to keeping either one of these formats alive), Sony NEEDS to get SACD going for the car.  If people start having DVD-A players in their cars or buy a DVD HU for their car capable of playing DVD-As they will be inclined to buy DVD-As to try that feature out.  Therefore the sales for DVD-A media are already higher from the market of people that listen to music mainly in the car.  SACD has NO sales from such a market segment and that can't possibly be good for them in the long run.

SACD right now is more of an "audiophile format" which is fine (DVD-A is as well really), but that niche market alone isn't going to keep SACD afloat.  What needs to happen is SACD needs to get popular.

If Sony starts making ALL CDs SACD other music manufacturers will follow suit or they will once they realise people are buying SACD players for the exact same reason.  There is no doubt in my mind that if ANY/EVERY new CD that came out had both a CD and an SACD layer (doesn't matter if it is multi-ch or 2ch) people (a lot of people) would just start buying SACD players--just to hear the higher quality version they already have but can't hear.

Putting SACD in car just makes sense if they want to have SACD be a thriving and popular format.

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.