Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:222
    Members:0
    Total of:222 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index MD/CD/SACD

Trying to stay on a budget and still enjoy high res sound Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 1,077
    Last Reply: November 25, 2003, 11:37 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rkkwan | rb | baseballgod | tmaher | delias |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Trying to stay on a budget and still enjoy high res sound
    tmaher

Posted: 2003-11-19 13:50

I have a question for whomever might know - I currently have a Sony SACD player (CE 775 - see post a few slots down) and the machine appears to be malfunctioning - it can't play some CDs, can't find tracks, etc. Thanks rkkwan for the input, and since the machine is out of warranty, I'll probably look to replace it vs. getting it fixed. Sony seems to have a limited selection of SACD players, unless you want to spend big bucks. Maybe that's what you have to do, but I've actually been pretty happy with my current unit which was not very expensive. My question has two parts: 1.) Will there be a significant improvement in sounds quality if I pay up for a higher end unit? and 2.) Pioneer has a low end unit (DV-563A) which plays SACDs, DVD-As, DVDs, CDs etc. This is an interesting option, given that it plays both high resolution formats. The biggest criticism I've seen of the machine is that it doesn't use DSD, but actually outputs PCM. I thought DSD was for analog out and PCM is a digital standard, so I'm not sure how that can be. Can it? If so, that sort of defeats the purpose of getting a SACD player, doesn't it? (I guess that's actually three parts...)

Thanks

tmaher

Posted: 2003-11-19 13:52

I should add:

DA-5ES receiver, Klipsch KLF 20s in front, Wharfedale Center and JBL Northridge 26(I think) in the back.

tmaher

Posted: 2003-11-19 14:37

Klipsch KSW-1- sub woofer too

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-11-19 17:20

I have not listened to the Pioneer, so I can't tell you what's the SACD performance is like.

There were a lot of talk about the Pioneer converting DSD to PCM before the player came out, but it seems like most actual users find the sound pretty good. The way it works is that it uses a new low-cost Philips chip that decodes both DSD (from SACD) and PPCM (from DVD-A). Whether it actually converts DSD into PCM, I don't know.

In other "univesal" players, including all the models from Denon, Yamaha, etc, they use seperate DSD and DVD-A decoders.

I guess there are a few options you can do:

- Get the 563A and try it
    - Upgrade to something like the Denon 2200
    - Get the 775 fixed. If you're somewhat tech savy, you can probably buy the optical unit ($160), find a service manual and switch it yourself.

-----------------
    -Ray
    SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Rotel RCD-961
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2
    Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

rb

Posted: 2003-11-19 21:44

tmaher--For what it's worth I would look into having your 775 repaired. Sony sold that unit at a loss especially at the end of it's model run to try and get more SACD players into peoples homes.

It has a respectable SACD chip,uses BURR BROWN Dacs for PCM, nice sized transformer and good power supply. In short the build quality was beyond it's price. There really wasn't that much difference between it and the 222ES.

Just for interest go to this web site and see what he says about your player.

www.sacdmods.com

rb

tmaher

Posted: 2003-11-20 06:14

Thanks guys for the input. Not sure what I'll do, but I will at least look into repairing my current unit.

baseballgod

Posted: 2003-11-22 22:55

You could always check out the Sony DVP-NC685, not sure the ratings its gotten, but its a 5-disc dvd/sacd carousel that sells for $250 and below. The build and sound quality of the Pioneer are subpar. I bought one to try it and brought it back. It just seemed too flimsy to be high quality. Guess for $150 not a bad deal though.

-----------------
    Aragon 24k pre, Aragon 2004 amp
    JM Lab Profil 77 floor speakers
    PS3, MacBook Pro sources
    Cambridge Audio DacMagic
    Straightwire power cables, MIT I/Cs

delias

Posted: 2003-11-25 11:37

I am also using the Sony 775 and fortunately haven't had any problems with it so far. I paid $115 for it as a fully warrantied, but "blemished" unit from musiciansfriend.com last summer. It's hard to beat that one!

For what it's worth, I've heard only good things about Denon's 2900. I listened to a Denon 2200 in a room at Circuit City through some really great Monitor Audio speakers recently. That player seemed fine too and was listed at $599. The 2900 was $999. I believe both of these models are universal players which is another nice feature.

Regards, David Elias

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.