Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:247
    Members:0
    Total of:247 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Adjusting Television BLACK LEVEL Dashboard
    Replies: 5 | Views: 1,268
    Last Reply: October 19, 2003, 4:24 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rkkwan | kinetic |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Adjusting Television BLACK LEVEL
    kinetic

Posted: 2003-10-19 15:23

I have a Sony 27FS100 Wega and NS72P DVD player. I adjusted the black level in a dark room by the following: turned on 16:9 enhanced on my TV; this generated 2 black bars on the bottom and top (4 in total), one pair from the TV and a pair from the DVD. I then adjusted the black level until the two bars on the top and bottom blended into 1. Is this an accurate way of adjusting my black level? Thanks.

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-10-19 15:34

This only works if you know the "black bars" from the DVD is actually true black. If it's not true black, then you may have set the black level of your TV too low.

The best way is to get a test disc, or a DVD movies with the THX optimizer, to adjust it.

-----------------
    -Ray
    SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Rotel RCD-961
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2
    Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

kinetic

Posted: 2003-10-19 15:46

rkkwan,

Thanks for the reply. I calibrated the black levels with the Matrix DVD black bars, probably not the most accurate black. Which test disc do you recommend and can you get them at your local radio shack etc.? By the way, noticed you have a pair of B&W's. Great speakers!

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-10-19 15:51

The two best test discs right now are "Sound & Vision Tuneup" which is easy to use, and the new "Digital Video Essential" which has tonnes of test patterns and sound tracks. Both are available for under $20 at various online merchants. The S&V disc can be purchased from that magazine's publisher as well.

-----------------
    -Ray
    B&W 601/2s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2

kinetic

Posted: 2003-10-19 15:54

Thanks for the swift reply. One last thing. My DVD player has this setting for setting the Black Level to the "Standard Level." What exactly does that mean? When it is on (set to "standard level"), the blacks seem a little more gray and grainy, and when its off they are more deep but might be lacking some detail. Know anything about this? thanks.

rkkwan

Posted: 2003-10-19 16:24

The problem with black level control is that NTSC standard used to consider 7.5IRE true black. But many HDTVs can receive and display 0IRE "blacker than black" signals.

With my older DVP-NS900V that doesn't have a switch, I cannot get good black level when displaying progressive scan signals on my Samsung HD monitor, until I messed with the gamma control. [Takes me a lot of research and a couple hours of actual adjusting it.] That's why newer players like your have a black level control.

I have not used the 725, so I can't tell you which is the correct setting for you. That's why a test disc will be useful. Using it, you can find out which setting will let you get the correct black level, which means doing these two things at the same time:

- Give you a deep true black
    - Show you the very dark, but not black detail, in your picture

-Ray
    B&W 602s3, Yamaha RX-V1300, HSU Research VTF-2

[ This message was edited by: rkkwan on 2003-10-19 16:26 ]

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.