Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:189
    Members:0
    Total of:189 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

PROTECTOR locked on STR-DE835!!! Dashboard
    Replies: 4 | Views: 6,394
    Last Reply: November 12, 2006, 8:34 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | jehill | mikeusmc | Merlu31 | taihlo |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author PROTECTOR locked on STR-DE835!!!
    mikeusmc

Posted: 2006-01-27 20:11

I see that this Protect issue is not new so I feel that I'm in good company! 

I have about a 6 year old STR-DE835 that has always worked fine.  I went to turn the unit on and heard a slight "pop" and then the word "PROTECTOR" flashed - nothing new to this website I know.  BUT I've watched movies in ss, football games in Stadium mode, etc with no problem.  I take excellent care of my electronics and I never have (or need to have) the volume beyond 40% cap.  Wires and connections have not moved since I used the system the previous day.  Tv was on (semi low level), sound was coming out of the tv and I wanted to listen via the ss so I pressed the power button and then heard the pop.  I wanted to rule out wires and speakers just to be sure so I disconnected all wires and plugs from the back so only the power cord was plugged in.  Same message.  I turned the unit off, held the power buttom for 5 seconds or so and it went into "Demonstration Mode".  To turn demo mode off I pressed the power button again and the unit turned off.  Pressed it again and "Protector" flashed again.  I did shut the unit off for 24 hours as well to give it plenty of time to cool down (and me too). 

I could find an auth Sony repair facility but what might it cost given that it seems it's the receiver itself and not my connections?  If I get it fixed could it happen again under the same circumstances with connections and volume level seeming not to be an issue?  Should I buy a new receiver which may have better "control" features?

Superbowl is coming and what good is a Sony HDTV with no SS????

Thanks in advance for any input!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-28 11:20

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Hearing a pop isn't a good sign.  Usually, that occurs when output transistors short out, but it could also be problem in the power supply.  What do you mean by, "BUT I've watched movies in ss, football games in Stadium mode, etc with no problem."?  That was before you received the PROTECTOR message, wasn't it?  If so, you need to get a repair estimate.  My guess is that it will be about $100.  Before you take it in to an authorized Sony servicenter (recommended), I would try unplugging the unit for a couple of minutes and see what happens after you plug it back in.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

Merlu31

Posted: 2006-04-04 20:50

On my case, the only solution to this "PROTECT" Message on al the Sony Receivers are the SOLDER JOINS!!!!
    FORGET ABOUT SHORTCUTS ON THE SPEAKERS!!!
    I have the same problem twice on a Sony STR-DE 475 and on the two oportunities i find a LOT of WEAK SOLDER JOINS.
    So when i soldered again the unit works fine.
    The real mess here is FIND the weak soldered joins, because they appear ramdomly with the use... But beleive me that is the only or the most popular cause of the PROTECT MODE that all the sony receivers users are posting here!!
    This is a TIPICAL SONY RECEIVERS ERROR!!! and it cames from factory, because i search this forum,google and all the people that have sony recivers has the same problem.

For Example, the last time i have the Protect mode ( With the receiver without the speaker connected on the back) i find that the IC701 (upc2581) have the legs 12-14 "on the air" or without making good contact ( because when i punch the receiver it works for a couple of minutes until "PROTECT" cames again).
    So i need to soldered it again to the board and also i have to "reforce" other weak solder joins that are closer to go weak.

Good luck finding your weak soldered joins!!!!

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-04 23:10

For most end users it is advisable to let a trained service technician who has the proper diagnostic equipment do the dirty work of finding the bad solder joints and repairing them.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

taihlo

Posted: 2006-11-12 20:34

I have a STR-DE835 that now does nothing but "Protector Mode" shortly after powering on. I tried it out after resetting and unplugging for 24 hours and it still pops up. I am comfortable opening it up and trying to find weak solder points, as I am pretty handy with a soldering iron, but I would really love to have some sort of schematic to know which pieces in there do what...

I guess what I am really posting to ask is, "Is it worth it? or should I just go buy a newer more modern receiver?" Keep in mind this puppy has been working extremely well for me for that past 6 years...

-Big Brother

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.