Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:190
    Members:0
    Total of:190 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

KV-34XBR910 6/7 Blink Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 9,631
    Last Reply: January 20, 2008, 11:38 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    josephdragan | BobF | maethros | andyross | Ra |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-34XBR910 6/7 Blink
    maethros

Posted: 2007-04-04 11:29

Warning, this is a long read.

Background:
    3 days ago my "perfect" KV-34XBR910 (Feb 2004 build) decided not to power on and gave a 7 blink repeating code. Unplugged it for for a few hours, came back and then it would give a 6 blink repeating code. Playing around with it would cause it to either 6 or 7 blink. Being an Electrical Engineer, I decided to dig around a little and see if I could easily fix the problem.

I came here and began reading about the many problems folks were having with their D boards. I then called Sony and they would not even talk to me about the problem until I had an "certified" diagnosis. Well, there are only two "certified" Sony technicians in my area and when I called them and asked them about the problem and their experience with D boards, all I got was deer-in-the-headlights. Each of them said they usually replaced the D board and if that didn't work, they always recommended scrapping the TV! It was obvious I knew far more about repairing these TVs from my limited research than they knew.

I was really was not in the mood to pay $100 for one of these guys to come out and tell me "oficially" what I already knew, so my wife, who's very outspoken and confrontational, got totally in Sony's face on this problem. She was actually elevated through 3 levels of support during the phone call and finally the case was sent to the "executive committe" for review. She was told to expect a response in a few days, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, I decided to go ahead and try a replacement of IC6501 and IC8002 since these seemed to come up as solutions most often. When I looked up the part number in my service manual, I noticed the XBR910 used a MCZ3001DA instead of the MCZ3001D like the XBR400s that were mainly discussed here.

It was then that I realized that Sony must have realized there was a problem with the MCZ3001D chip and sought to remedy it. A little more digging turned up the following chip revision progression (I use the XBRs here but the other models of the same vintage use the same chip):

KV-xxXBR400
    875967030 MCZ3001D

KV-xxXBR800
    875967030 MCZ3001D

KV-xxXBR910
    670335501 MCZ3001DA

KV-xxXBR960
    670581001 MCX3001DB

All three original Sony part numbers now point to 670581001 MCX3001DB as the replacement part on Sony ServicesPLUS. Unfortunately I do not have spec sheets for the 3 versions of the chip so I can't know for sure what was changed at each revision.

I've gone ahead and ordered two MCX3001DB chips, pulled the old chips and installed 18DIP sockets on the D board. If I get the standard "we do not believe there was a design/manufacturing problem" line from the "executive comittee", I am going to nail them with this chip revision issue.

Anyway, I hope this little bit of information is helpful to others struggling with this problem. I'll followup and let you guys know how the repair goes and what Sony says.

[ This message was edited by: maethros on 2007-04-04 11:30 ]

BobF

Posted: 2007-04-05 01:57

Very interesting stuff.  And that's some good detective work that you've done.

Could it be that the MCX3001DB IC is simply a compatible replacement and that it doesn't represent any sort of design improvement?

Could the IC failures be caused by the surrounding circuitry and not a defect in the IC itself?

And does Sony even have anything to do with the design of these ICs?

On the repair shop practice of replacing the D-Board, that's probably the easiest and most profitable path for them to take.  They don't have to do any board level diagnostics or time-consuming de-soldering/soldering and swapping the boards out is fast and easy.

And that's a shame since the $240 cost of the D-Board pushes the total repair cost beyond what many owners are willing to pay.  As a result many of these top-of-the-line TVs are ending up in dumpsters.

I was certainly in that position with my 36XBR400.  The repair estimates were over $400 and I could buy a used, but working, replacement of the same model TV for less.  And my TV just needed a $6 MCZ3001D.

Good luck with getting an out of warranty repair through Sony.  Some have been successful.  I tried that route for my 36XBR400 but I had no luck.  But I didn't push it since  bought my TV used and it was about five years old at the time it failed.

Bob

Ra

Posted: 2007-04-05 18:04

Electronics on line have the MCZ3001D for 8 bucks,

andyross

Posted: 2007-04-06 11:31

From some searching, the MCZ3001 is manufactured by ETC. I'm having problem finding a web address for them, if one exists.

Is MCX3001 a typo? I can't find anything on that.

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

BobF

Posted: 2007-04-06 15:26

On 2007-04-05 18:04, Ra wrote:

Electronics on line have the MCZ3001D for 8 bucks,

That's a good price!  I think they cost much more if you go through Sony.

The one's that I bought were about $6 each via an eBay seller. 

The cool thing is that I bought three ICs and the seller went ahead and sent two additional ICs for free.

Bob

BobF

Posted: 2007-04-06 15:31

On 2007-04-06 11:31, andyross wrote:
    From some searching, the MCZ3001 is manufactured by ETC. I'm having problem finding a web address for them, if one exists.

Is MCX3001 a typo? I can't find anything on that.

I'm guessing it's a typo.  The only hit Google returns for "MCX3001DB" is this thread.

But there are hundred of hits for "MCZ3001DB".  Perhaps that's what maethros meant to type.

Bob

josephdragan

Posted: 2008-01-20 11:38

Has anyone had any success in fixing this problem by replacing the MCZ3001DB ?
    I have the same symtoms on my XBR 910 and would love to try this fix.
    Joe

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.