Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:254
    Members:0
    Total of:254 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

Flashing Picture...........Sony Trinitron 32" KV-32S25 Dashboard
    Replies: 9 | Views: 7,905
    Last Reply: July 12, 2009, 1:37 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jttar | dakota_tech | lordsereg | DRGL | AcadianSeaMonster | skotman | nmacej |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Flashing Picture...........Sony Trinitron 32" KV-32S25
    lordsereg

Posted: 2004-04-30 13:52

I have a 32" Sony Trinitron TV Model # KV-32S25 (1996). Recently it started to take a while for the picture to come on but you can here the sound right away.  Now it usually takes anywhere form 5 - 10 minutes before you see the picture.  Unfortunately you only see the picture for about a minute before it starts flashing/blinking on and off.  This is now a regular occurance when the TV is shut off and then turned back on.  It is also taking longer for the picture to come on and the duration of the picture flashing/blinking is getting longer too.  Once it stops flashing it works fine.  

I don't want to take it to a repair shop if it can't be fixed.  I heard that there is a simple/quick fix that will extend the life of my television.  But unfortunately knowledge, it seems, is not free anymore.  I have presented this problem to other people on different websites but they all want anywhere from $40 - $50 dollars for what they term as "Easy to Follow instructions that will be sent directly to my email address".

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and if so, is it something that I can fix? I have some electronics knowledge but not enough to know what is causing the problem.  If anyone has had this experience and has fixed the problem, can you please shed some light on my situtation?  This will probably get a lot of negative answers but I believe that if this problem is something that is simple/quick to fix and that I could do it myself with someone's emailed instruction then why should I have to pay for it.
    Please can someone help? 

Thank you

dakota_tech

Posted: 2004-05-01 10:32

It sounds like a weak CRT. And yes if it is not too bad, you can do something about it. Can you use a screw driver?

Dakota

-----------------
    http://www.fixyourowntv.com

AcadianSeaMonster

Posted: 2004-11-26 12:40

I am fully trained on the safe operation of a screwdriver. If this problem can be cured, or put into remission, please forward to me the instructions to do so. The patient is a 10 year old KV32TS36. I have a service manual.

DRGL

Posted: 2004-11-28 10:55

My money would be on capacitor problem-common wity old Sony's,just fixed one with the exact same problems,replaced all the electrolytic capacitirs in the PSU and all is fine.........

AcadianSeaMonster

Posted: 2004-12-01 22:26

Tried Dakota's fix. Seems to have done the trick for now. No more blinking CRT.

Thanks Dakota.

AcadianSeaMonster

Posted: 2005-02-02 12:51

Here's one for the archives... I'm not sure if anyone reads these older threads, but here goes.
    Reading the posts above you'll notice I had the blinking / weak CRT problem on a 10yr old KV32TS36. I successfully halted the blinking by using the "screen" knob adjustment procedure (thanks Dakota). About a month later, while the better half was watching "Desperate Housewives" (may be pertinent) she claims she heard two consecutive noises accompanied by the CRT flashing brightly. As best I can tell, the noise was like electrical arcing coming from inside the set. I have not opened it up to inspect.
    Well... whatever happened has improved the picture quality. Prior to this the colors had become somewhat dull (weak CRT ?). Now they are much brighter. The only lingering problem is on power up - the colors are overly green for a minute.
    Try explaining this one you genuises.

[ This message was edited by: AcadianSeaMonster on 2005-02-02 12:51 ]

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-02-02 22:00

ASM,

You description of electrical arcing may be right on target. There might have been a poor solder joint that overheated enough to arc a better connection. When you get time you might want to inspect the boards for any dull looking joints or signs of heat and touch them up. Either that or "Desperate Housewives" may have been too much for even the CRT to handle.

Joe

skotman

Posted: 2005-02-02 22:11

for the original prob, how did u fix it? mine is doing same thing, different model though.

AcadianSeaMonster

Posted: 2005-02-04 18:30

The original "screen knob adjustment" fix is pretty straight forward; but I'm going to refer you to Dakota's website, http://www.fixyourowntv.com . Send him you make/model specifics and the problem desciption. For me it was $5 well spent.

nmacej

Posted: 2009-07-12 13:37

This is more for Dakota_tech out of respect, but if anyone can help I would GREATLY appreciate it!  I'm having the same problem, and literally have $0.. (I still owe rent! haha).  Would it be possible to get the instructions for the screen knob ajustment?  Trust me, if I could pay anything I would!

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.