Now that Toshiba’s HD DVD format is dead and the protracted high definition war is well and truly over, Sony Corp. is envisioning big things over short distances for its newly crowned Blu-ray industry standard.
Specifically, while speaking at a recent press conference in Taipei, Sony president and Electronics CEO Ryoji Chubachi outlined the company’s hopes for the Blu-ray platform regarding short term market positioning.
According to the forward-looking Sony executive, the Japanese consumer electronics giant plans to integrate Blu-ray devices into a wide range of its product lines while pushing more appealing price points to help increase the company’s current share of the video disc market.
Blu-ray Disc technology presently holds around 20 percent of the market while the remaining 80 percent is attributed to conventional DVD. Sony claims that its Blu-ray product expansion will see that share rise to the 50 percent marker by the close of 2008.
In order to further the reach of Blu-ray in its attempts to draw DVD owners toward the bright light of HD, Sony has said that its reliance on existing Blu-ray players and, in particular, the PlayStation 3 videogames console for promotional exposure will now be extended to include IT devices too.
Sony has also indicated that it intends to offer new Blu-ray devices including a high-definition LCD television that comes complete with Blu-ray recording capabilities