Highly customized entertainment networks designed by users to meet the demands of their individual lifestyles is the common thread for the dozens of new audio, video and IT devices unveiled by Sony here today.
At a conference highlighting strategic advancements in the delivery and creation of high quality, versatile entertainment, Sony Electronics President Fujio Nishida reported: “For more than 50 years, we’ve strived to hold the consumer spellbound…to create products that empower you as a consumer to follow your heart. This new generation of Sony hardware and technology can be enjoyed by consumers everywhere.” Among the key products Sony demonstrated on the eve of the annual Consumer Electronics Show were:
* A new CLIÉ handheld (PEG-NZ90) that has both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi wireless capabilities, a built-in two megapixel camera with flash, zoom and auto-focus features, and a flip-and-swivel design that reveals an oversized 320 x 480 high-resolution screen;
* Two new VAIO notebook PCs, including one with an integrated dual-format DVD recordable drive (PCG-GRV680), the first of its kind;
* Four new VAIO desktop PCs, including the PCV-RS100 model, which offers one-click DVD burning for about $800;
* The VAIO RoomLink Network Media Receiver, which links television and home stereo systems to compatible VAIO PCs over wired or wireless home networks for enjoying audio and video content when and where the user decides;
A dual-compatible DVD recorder home deck (RDR-GX7) that has an i.LINK® IEEE-1394 port to connect compatible camcorders for creating home-movie DVDs for sharing and archiving;
* Two new wide-screen XBR WEGA® TVs (30-inch KV-30XBR900 and 34-inch KV-34XBR900) featuring SuperFine Pitch CRT technology for optimized high definition video content and excellent corner-to-corner picture precision and accuracy;
* An LCD WEGA TV (30-inch KLV-30XBR900) with the new WEGA Engine full digital processing system, and secure DVI-HDTV interface, enabling the floating panel design to be suspended anywhere in the home;
* Seven new ATRAC3™/MP3 CD Walkman® players, that offer music fans the option to store even more music on one disc while preserving more of the sound quality. All models offer Skip-free G-protection™ technology, and come supplied with SonicStage™ CD Simple Burner software enabling uses to record in ATRAC3plus.
* A tiny match-box-size Network Walkman® Digital Music Player that has 256 MB of built-in memory for up to 15 hours of music, with unlimited memory expansion though a Memory Stick Duo® media slot.
* Five new Net MD Walkman® player/recorders, all offering high-speed music transfer from the PC via a direct USB connection, with Ultra Skip-free G-protection™ technology and long battery life;
* Three new DVD Handycam® camcorders, recording on 3-inch discs playable in nearly all home players and PC drives, as well as later releases of PlayStation® game consoles;
* Nine new digital Handycam camcorders, including two Digital8® models and seven Mini DV models, two of which feature two-megapixel image capture;
* Two new Hi8™ Handycam camcorders, both available for under $300; and
* New data storage solutions, including the GigaVault portable hard-disk media, which packs 40 GB of digital data storage for holding large amounts of DVD-quality video, digital images and music, and two new dual RW (+ and -) DVD drives for the PC, recording at up to 4X speeds using compatible media.