[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 37: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - HDMI Macroblocks on 1080i for new STR-DA3400 ES - Any Ideas?

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:35 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - HDMI Macroblocks on 1080i for new STR-DA3400 ES - Any Ideas?

HDMI Macroblocks on 1080i for new STR-DA3400 ES - Any Ideas?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by elmerb » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:53 am

Greetings,

I have a very simple 5.1 setup which is comprised of a HDMI enabled DVD Player, a Time Warner Motorola DVR, and a Sony 40" LCD TV.  Since I do not have any intent of going blu ray or 1080p, I purchased a DA3400ES receiver in hopes of just having to use 3 HDMI cables for the entire setup.

When I turned on a 1080i high-def pay channel, I was faced with macroblocks on action scenes.  I then attached component cables between the cable box and receiver, and between the receiver and the tv.  The picture improved dramatically on component.

Does anyone know of any fine tuning that I need to do to with the receiver or anything which may explain this?

Thanks
elmerb
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:36 am

Do you still have the macro-blocking with the DVR connected directly to your TV?  If so, its usually a cable system signal level issue.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by elmerb » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks for the response. I keep meaning to check this out, and I know how easy it will be to do so, but wrangling the new receiver has also been quite a challenge

That said, do you know why HDMI would have the macroblocks, when component (from the same cable box, through the same receiver into the same tv) would not have the blocks?
elmerb
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Welwynnick » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:57 pm

It could be a video processing artifact that is characteristic of Faroudja de-interlacing that is applied when an interlaced component signal is input. 

HDMI outputs from any equipment are often constrained to be progressive scan, and interlaced digital outputs are often not possible. 

Thats my guess, but I think its quite likely. 

Receivers are not masters of all trades.

Nikc
Welwynnick
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables