[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Could someone explain this?

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:16 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Could someone explain this?

Could someone explain this?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by TAR » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:32 am

So the best way with Avia would be to first calibrate fronts/center and rears and set them all to large. This would eliminate the sub from from coming on during the tones for the "small" set speakers. Then calibrate the sub by setting the mains to "small", and this eliminates the fronts from coming on and helping the sub. Does this sound right?
TAR
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:56 am

You don't really need to switch the main speakers to LARGE when calibrating the main signals. But yes, you do have to set them to SMALL to calibrate the sub.

Anyways, sub level is pretty subjective. Many people run the LFE a few dB hot. So, use that as a guide, but do experiment.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by TAR » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:08 am

Quote:

On 2003-07-07 14:56, rkkwan wrote:
You don't really need to switch the main speakers to LARGE when calibrating the main signals. But yes, you do have to set them to SMALL to calibrate the sub.

If I set all the speakers to large then the sub with NOT play during the test tones for the main speakers. If I have any speakers set to small then the test tone will be played both from that speaker and the sub at the same time. And of course, if say center and sub are playing the test tone for the center it measures much louder than if only the center speaker were on. Any main speaker set to small gets assisted by the sub for its test tone.
TAR
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:13 am

Todd - Right. What I mean is that all the main speakers should be set to SAME. They can be all LARGE, or all SMALL. Shouldn't make much of a difference. Of course, you shouldn't calibrate with the mains as LARGE, and center as SMALL, etc.

And that tone should have little bass material, so that you can continue to compare with the bass. Again, as I said, LFE calibration is not very exact.

-Ray
SCD-C222ES, Panasonic DVD-CP72, Yamaha RX-596
B&W 602s3, Samsung TXM2796HF & SIR-T151

rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by TAR » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:32 pm

I'm closer but another question. On Avia in the Audio Calibrations selection there are different test tone choices. If I go to Main speaker setup and do the 5 channel speaker balance my results are Mains=33 volume for 70dB and I need to go 2 clicks left in the L-R balance to even the fronts. Center is -5.5 and Rears are -2.5.
If, in the Audio Calibrations, I instead use the Reference Tones and the WB Pink Noise my results are Mains=35 70dB(L-R dead even), Center -1.5, and Rears -1.5.
I have fronts/center and rears all set to large so the sub is not on during these tests. Which test do I use Main Speaker Setup--5 channel speaker balance, or Reference Tones--WB Pink Noise.
TAR
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:06 pm

I always use the "5 channel speaker balance". I think the Wide Band pink noise is more affected by frequency extension and room acoustics. For example, the fact that your center speaker needs to be set higher with the WB is suggestive that that speaker has less bass frequency response. And the inbalance between the fronts is because one speaker is getting more bass due to placement and room reflection.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by TAR » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:25 pm

The THX Optimizer, found on Star Wars,etc., must also be a WB Pink noise because I get the same results using it. By Wide Band I'm assuming it's using the whole or alot of the freqency range. Also, I had all speakers set to large so bass management and crossover settings had nothing to do with the results. Just the speaker's own frequency results. The receiver test tone is however more like the 5 channel speaker balance. My results were not exact but similar.
My only trouble now is the needle bouncing pretty badly when trying to read the sub's dB. One thing of note, the Avia sub test uses a low frequency as you said before. Set the Mains to small to get a reading.
The THX Optimizer uses a true LFE signal. On the 4es there is a lighted indicator for this. If the mains are set to small then this true LFE signal is only sent to the sub. I my tests this LFE signal measured a couple dB lower than the sub tests on Avia. Would this be of any use?
Thanks for all the help!
TAR
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:32 pm

Interesting notes about the wide band nature of the THX sound. I'm kind of surprised by the amount of difference you get between the AVIA and THX results. I don't own any disc with the optimizer, but I remember playing with it once with a rental, and the results are more or less the same as what I got with AVIA, so I didn't think about it further. [Note that right now I'm back to 2-channel, but I was using a Yamaha RX-V1300 with 5.1 setup for a long time.]

And the LFE test is pretty cool. I think you can say that LFE signal in the THX optimizer is more "correct". Glad to know the difference is only 2dB, which is pretty slight with the LFE channel.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by TAR » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:12 am

Quote:

On 2003-07-07 21:32, rkkwan wrote:
Interesting notes about the wide band nature of the THX sound. I'm kind of surprised by the amount of difference you get between the AVIA and THX results. I don't own any disc with the optimizer, but I remember playing with it once with a rental, and the results are more or less the same as what I got with AVIA, so I didn't think about it further.

The Thx Optimizer test tones and the "WB Pink Noise" in Avia actually matched pretty closely. The big differences I get are from the "5 channel speaker balance" test in Avia compared to the "WB pink Noise" in Avia and the THX Optimizer. The receiver test tones are very close to the "5 channel speaker balance" results.
So is the 5 channel speaker balance test still using a pink noise just not WB or is it something else?
TAR
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:06 pm

I am not sure, but my guess is that the 5-channel setup test tones are weighted towards the middle and higher frequencies, and does not contain the deep bass, because bass is highly affected by the room and speakers. Using the wide-band tones, you may get the SUM of all frequencies to equal level, but because a speaker is lacking in bass, you'll have to raise its level and therefore throwing off the balance for the mid- and high- frequencies.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Previous

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables