[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Could someone explain this?

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:47 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Could someone explain this?

Could someone explain this?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by TAR » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:10 am

I have been using my receiver's test tones to calibrate my system. This seemed easy enough. I picked up Avia and thought I'd see how close everything was according to them. Avia says to use 85db or if this is too loud use somethng less. This is too loud. It's 19 on my 4es, and piercing. I decided to use 75db like I did with my test tones and here's what I came up with. Test Tones in Receiver:23.5 volume, -3 center, -1.5 surrounds, -11.5 sub. Avia:30 volume, -1.5 center, -1.5 surrounds, -11.5 sub. How can this be? 23.5 on one and 30 on the other and both say 75 db. Which should I use to be more accurate?
TAR
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:51 am

The main volume level doesn't matter. The tone generated from the AVIA is recorded at 85dB. It simply means that the tone generated by your receiver is supposed to be around 78.5dB. That's all.

The real problem is that thre's a 1.5dB difference in the center channel level. While it is not large, it really shouldn't be there. I'd use the AVIA level (i.e. -1.5dB for center), as that would account for any problem with the DD decoder in your receiver.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by TAR » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:53 pm

Thanks for the reply Ray. So it isn't odd that the receiver's test tone is 75db at 23.5 and the Avia test tone is 75db at 30? Also it doesn't matter if I use 75 db instead of 85 to calibrate? The only thing I hate about Avia is they don't have a single subwoofer test tone, or at least I can't find it. Every other speaker has its own, but the sub is connected to another speaker. LF the sub or Center then sub, etc.
TAR
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:11 pm

It shouldn't matter if you use 75, 80 or 85dB to calibrate. At least not by much, if your speakers are similar. For example, your surrounds are -1.5dB at 75, they should also be about -1.5dB at 80 or 85, compared to the main speakers.

I use 80dB because that's the easiest to read on my analog Radio Shack SPL meter.

And yes, for calibration, the LFE signal is in the main channels. Therefore, one must set the speaker size to "SMALL" to activate the crossover of the receiver to make it work.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by TAR » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:06 pm

Quote:

I use 80dB because that's the easiest to read on my analog Radio Shack SPL meter.

And yes, for calibration, the LFE signal is in the main channels. Therefore, one must set the speaker size to "SMALL" to activate the crossover of the receiver to make it work.

Ray I took your advice and now use 80 as well to calibrate. It is much easier also considering I run my sub about 4db hot so I now don't have to switch from 70 to 80 on the RS Meter when calibrating.
One more question. When you are refering to calibrating the sub. I run my fronts as large and everything else as small for my HT. When I run a test tone to the sub it comes out the sub and the fronts. Should I set the fronts to small for calibrating, and then change them back to large to actually use? Or should I calibrate the sub with the fronts set to large just like I'm going to use them? I think this might be what you are saying about but I want to make sure. This also might be why I'm having trouble with Avia test tones. Sorry for the stupid questions!

Todd
57UWX20B, Sony 4es, NS715P, S310II, SCENTERII, S36II, PB12, All Monster Cable connections, MX-500

TAR
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:14 pm

If you are calibrating for the sub, you should set the front speakers to "SMALL", regardless of what you're going to use finally. Since the LFE tone on AVIA is in the main channels only, and not in the LFE, that's the only way to get it right.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by WopOnTour » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:32 pm

Hi Ray
Which direction do you aim the mic on your RS SPL meter when you do your tests? Forward? Up? towards the selected speaker?

I've always rationalized pointing it UP when equalizing at 80db but...

Just wondering
Thanks
WopOnTour
WopOnTour
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:38 pm

Yes, hold the meter at your listening position, and point it towards the ceiling.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by paulaceto » Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:41 am

Ray, your last comment about setting the Mains to Small for the LFE adjustment won't work for systems whose mains are driven by the sub (like Polks).
paulaceto
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by rkkwan » Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:09 am

If you connect the subs via speaker level, of course you can't set the subwoofer to "ON", and speaker size to "SMALL". Just run AVIA in your usual Sub OFF/speaker LARGE setting, and the calibration will be fine too.

Sorry for not pointing that out.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables