[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - progressive scan DVD players?

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:28 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - progressive scan DVD players?

progressive scan DVD players?

Section where you have questions/comments about room setup, equipment design, wiring and best configuration between Sony products in creating the best Home Theater setup.

Moderator: jttar

by robertlu88 » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:31 am

Hi I just brought A Sony KP51WS500 HDTV
with progressive scan, I think.
Now my question is, my pioneer DV333, dvd plaver don't have progressive scan.
Should I buy A dvd player with progressive and does it really make a difference when watching DVD movies?

P.S I use A monster component cables if it made a difference.
robertlu88
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by rkkwan » Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:34 pm

Your new TV can accept a progressive scan signal, or it can deinterlace an interlaced signal. In theory, it's better to do the deinterlacing (i.e. turning 480i to 480p) with the player, because you only have to convert the signal from digital to analog once. However, most Sony HDTV owners think that their TV does a an excellent job doing the deinterlacing as well.

Therefore, the improvement may be relatively small if you get a progressive scan DVD player, and you may not even notice it.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by robertlu88 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:16 am

Thanks for the info rkkwan.

P.S In your opinion, so it's not worth spending $200-$300 for A slight difference in quality.

Thanks again.
Rob
robertlu88
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by rkkwan » Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:53 am

In my opinion, you should give progressive player a shot. Bring one home and see how it performs. Keep the box, and bring it back for a refund if you don't see any improvement.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by robertlu88 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:41 am

Good idea. Do you know any good model you had review?

Thanks again.
robertlu88
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by VictorT » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:01 pm

Try the 715P with more than one dvd.
If you like it keep it and put the other player somewhere else. never hurts to have another.
VictorT
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by rkkwan » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:16 pm

Sorry, I forgot to check back with this thread.

Anyways, the best "affordable" progressive scan pictures come from DVD players with the Faroudja DCDi chipset. Certain Panasonic models use it, as well as Yamaha, Denon, Kenwood, and maybe a few others. Unfortunately, the really affordable ones are now gone, and you probably have to spend at least $300 for one now.

The Sonys also have pretty good picture. They have the chroma "bug", but unless you're a videophile and are very picky, it's not a problem. The NS715P that Victor recommends is a great value. And if you're also interested in the SACD high-resolutionaudio, you can pay a little more to get the NS755P.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by hlain » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:05 am

I am currently running a DVP NS500V to a KP51-WS500 - would upgrading to a Progressive DVD player such as the Denon DVD-900 with the Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer help give me a better picture?

Currenly running monster component cables through an Onkyo TX SR-600.

Hans
hlain
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by rkkwan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:56 am

Hans - I think you'll see an improvement, though probably not very large. I have two DVD players, a DVP-NS900P and a Panasonic CP-72. The Panasonic does give a little better picture - less artifact, better black levels - on my Samsung HD monitor, but I bought it partly because of its DVD-A capability. I'm very happy with the 900V progressive scan.

BTW, why route your video through the Onkyo? Unless you have more component video source than you have inputs on your TV, I'd run those cables straight to the TV.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by hlain » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:36 am

Quote:

BTW, why route your video through the Onkyo? Unless you have more component video source than you have inputs on your TV, I'd run those cables straight to the TV.

Actually - now that I think about it - I have no friggin clue. Gonna run the DVD player straight to the TV. Thanks for the sanity check.

Hans.
hlain
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Getting Started/Building a Home Theater