[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Can someone explain this (tv/homecinema) problem...

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:35 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Can someone explain this (tv/homecinema) problem...

Can someone explain this (tv/homecinema) problem...

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony DVD player.

Moderator: jttar

by agswilson » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:21 am

I have a 32 inch sony widescreen...
Ps2 (rgb scart for clearest picture)
a sony dav c770 home cinema. (scart 2)
VCR (scart 3)

my s-vid is at side of tv and i don't want trailing wires (visible) Else, i'd plug DVD into that.

when i turn on ps2, tv automatcally switches to AV1 and widescreen (sometimes good)

when i turn on dvd (i have to turn channel manually which I don't mind). On homecinema display (setup etc) the the tv switches to widescreen automatically (great)

But when i play DVD it switches to 'smart' which makes the picture long... (so i have to change manually back to wide)

Is there away around this...

NOTE: i also notice the scart plug which is connected to DVD has less pins... (could this be it?)

-----------------------------------------
www.freelance.st
for freelancers who want to be known
agswilson
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Tiny_Turtle » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:47 pm

Yes, that could be it. Try and hook it up using the Scart you normally use for the PS2. I would choose the RGB output for the DVD anyway but that's just me. Possibly there's some setting in your DAV's menus concering "TV Format". I remember something vaguely about when setting up my DVP-NS900V I had to choose between 4:3, 4:3 Letterbox and 16:9 (note: I write vaguely ).

Try this and post here again and we'll crack this one.

/Tiny Trial
Tiny_Turtle
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by agswilson » Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:52 am

thanks...

tried the davs menu with tv format. 4.3 letterbox and 4.3 panscan produced border on top and bottom which is almost right...

but when i select 16.9 and change my tv to 'wide' there is no borders (which makes the picture full screen.

hmmm....

i would put my dvd in RGB scart but i need 'crisp' ps2 graphics....

I wonder why the tv automatically turns to wide when i see the DAVs splash screen and menus, but when i press play it goes back to smart (doh)
agswilson
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Tiny_Turtle » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:13 am

Doesn't seem too smart, really...

Did you try using the RGB Scart for the DVD? Not as a permanent solution, but rather to see if the limited connection Scart was the culprit.

/Tiny Smartness
Tiny_Turtle
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by agswilson » Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:46 am

hi....

i wish i could try rgb scart... buts its only for ps2. scart one end.. sony ps2 plug at other end.

i'll try buy one this week. Wonder if there's another way round it.

agswilson
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by FOL » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:22 pm

On the newish SONY tv`s you can turn SMART switching off. This is cause SONY had complaints that sets kept clicking in and out all the time. Try looking for an option in the menu, for smart switching. Also what model sony, do you have?
FOL
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by agswilson » Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:17 am

sony kv32 fx 60 (or 65) is the model tv...

sony dav c770 (mr) is the dvd/av system

I can switch 'auto format on and off' but that doesn't seem to make a difference with AV, only on normal TV channels...
agswilson
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by FOL » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:41 am

I think you will find, its not a tv problem, I would say the source signal is the problem.

You could try setting your dvd to output 16x9 then turn auto smart switching off (This does make a difference, it stops the TV switching modes). If you still have probs, then its definately an output problem.

Also, I dont know where you live, but over here in UK. Every DVD disc I have bought is in anamorphic 16x9 (Not true widescreen), which despite having a widescreen tv, it still has a black band top and bottom. Which is only defined by the dvd player and disc, or what ever signal is going into it.

Personally, I hate SMART, as it strecthes everything. Try putting it to wide and leaving it.

FOL
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by agswilson » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:45 pm

i also live in uk.. and also noticed the anamorphic thingy with new dvds...

I did set my dvd to 4:3 and my dvd put black border on top and bottom (which was ok, but I wanna make the most of my screen)

It definately can be done... because when i set dvd to 16:9 and swith TV (manually ) to wide it has no borders....

Maybe I just take off auto switching on TV... though i recall doing that before and it messed up my teletext... (odd)
agswilson
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by FOL » Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:31 am

The only way I get rid of back bars, is to set mine to cinema seetting, which means I lose a bit on each side. This doesnt bother me, cause screen is filled. I have a Toshiba 28" Widescreen.
FOL
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to DVD