[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - What is this Multichannel decoding and....

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:33 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - What is this Multichannel decoding and....

What is this Multichannel decoding and....

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by Troy » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:35 am

why is'nt the blue Multi channel Decoding indicator light at the top of my STR-DE685 lit?
Troy
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Tiny_Turtle » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:00 am

You mean generally?

Well, that one is supposed to light up only when the 685 is receiving multi-channel sound. If it doesn't do that when you're playing a DVD it means you're not listening to "full" Dolby Digital or DTS sound.

There could be several reasons for this, The most common is that people haven't turned on the digital out/turned off down-sampling to PCM on their DVD player. Other reasons could be that there's no digital connection, but just red+white RCA cables between the units. Also having selected the wrong mode on the receiver (choosing something called Auto Format Decode or A.F.D. is quite smart as the receiver plays along with whatever you feed it with).

/Tiny Trouble-shooting

Tiny_Turtle
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:01 am

Also, if you are using Digital Optical interconnect make sure that you use the input select to select Optical. If you are using Digital Coax select Coax input.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Troy » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:51 pm

I am only using the Microsoft XBOX for DVD's.
And I doubt that has Digital DTS.
Besides, It's only using the red and white wire hookup for sound.
Troy
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by mwl001 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:02 pm

Your XBOX actually can do Dolby Digital and DTS. However, not through the analog audio cables you are using -- you'll need an optical audio connection.
mwl001
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Tiny_Turtle » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:27 pm

Hm, it seems like Microsloth decided that an optical out was extra on the Xbox...

If you want to enable digital/multi-channel sound you need to buy yourself a Xbox Advanced AV Pack which also gives you S-video output. If your TV has component input (i.e. red+green+blue RCA connectors) you might want to opt for the Xbox High Definition AV Pack which would give you component output too. Regardless which one you get you still have to get a Toslink -to-Toslink optical cable and plug into this new "AV Pack" and a suitable Optical input on the DE685.

/Tiny Expansion Pack
Tiny_Turtle
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Troy » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:23 pm

oh...my...god! I'm using this advanced AV pack already and never new it had optical audio...Sorry. Thankyou, so much.

Troy
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Tiny_Turtle » Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:50 pm

You're welcome. I'm just happy you didn't have to go buy more stuff

I'm not sure about this, but maybe you'd have to enable digital output on the xbox (I've never played around with one so I don't really know)

Let us know what happens!

/Tiny Improvement?
Tiny_Turtle
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Troy » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:52 pm

You were right...The XBOX sound ed great with DTS on my STRDE685.And I even got the Blue indicator light at top However I now have another dillema. I just installed a Hughes DirectTV/Tivo DVR combo with the optical connection in place of the XBOX and I'm back to square one.(no Multi Channel Decoding) And the remote for the STRDE685 will not respond. I'm getting tired of thinking about this. Has Tivo taken over..?
Troy
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables