[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - It's been a long time.

Advanced search
It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 4:02 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - It's been a long time.

It's been a long time.

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by RickeyM » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi gang, I haven't been around in a while but I've decided to drop in, look around and make a few posts. Good to be back :D
Last edited by RickeyM on Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by SONYESP » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:57 pm

RICKY M:

Welcome back. It's been quiet around here lately.
SONYESP
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:45 am

RickyM- This is good news indeed because it looks like its been over 3 years since we last heard from you. Please share about all that you've been up to especially concerning your Audio System!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jttar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Welcome back RickyM and a big hello to Maxx and SonyESP!
Here's the good news Ricky, it your abstinence you haven't missed a thing. When I logged in here a few days ago a piece of tumbleweed rolled across my screen. :-) Hope you are all doing well and I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by RickeyM » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi guys! Wow, it doesn't seem like that long. I have been playing around with BGW amps which were great but believe it or not I wanted more power. Then my much beloved STR-DA5ES lost the right channel. I made an attempt to fix it. Attempt failed. I figured it would cost as much to have a tech fix it as it would cost me to get a replacement. So that's how I came to own a STR-DA4ES. 8-) For power I went big, an Emotiva XPA-DR2. Which by the way can be switched on by a trigger output of the 'DA4ES. The DVP-NC555es worked fine but stuck out as the only silver faced unit in the stack so when I found a SCD-C222es I snapped it up. Which ended up not reading SACD's :cry: . For less than the cost of a new laser, I got a DVP-S9000ES. ;) A sweet copper chassis beastie. Finally, as much as I like my much modded Technics SL-1200MK2, I started looking at vintage Sony decks. I now have an PS-X50. So the stack is now all (except for the amp) Sony.So for now, system wise, I'm set ;)
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 pm

RickyM- You did indeed go big with the Emotiva XPA-DR2! What speakers are you driving with this well built and highly powerful stereo amplifier?

Power Output (both channels driven):
550 watts RMS, per channel, into 8 Ohms, at <0.1% THD.
800 watts RMS, per channel, into 4 Ohms, at <0.1% THD.

Power Bandwidth (at rated power; 8 Ohm load): 20 Hz to 20 kHz (+ / – 0.1 dB).

Broad Band Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 50 kHz +0/-2 dB.

THD + noise: < 0.008%; at 100 watts RMS; 1 kHz; 8 Ohms.

Signal to Noise Ratio (8 Ohm load):
> 120 dB; ref FTC rated power; unbalanced input (A-weighted).
> 96 dB; ref 1 watt; unbalanced input (A-weighted).

Minimum Recommended Load Impedance (per channel): 4 Ohms.
(which equals one 4 Ohm load or two paralleled 8 Ohm loads).

Damping Factor (8 Ohm load): > 500.

Input Sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 2.1 V.

Gain: 29 dB.

Input Impedance:
33 kOhms (balanced).
23.5 kOhms (unbalanced).

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi Maxx, I figured that if the "Doctor-2" wasn't enough to drive my Maggie MG-2.5R's nothing would. Of course it's connected to a MS Audio Rhodium Plated Power Receptacle with a DH Labs Silver Sonic Power Plus power cord. To finish off the power cord, it's terminated with Cardas 3455R IEC & AC plugs.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:51 am

RickeyM- Way to bump up your power cable game by upgrading to the DH Labs Silver Sonic Power Plus!

I know how much of an improvement in sound quality can be had by using a well designed power cable like your DH Labs Silver Sonic Power Plus. Once I completed my loom of power cables I had the great fortune of discovering how much further improvement was possible by eliminating the high frequency switching noise and leakage currents from the AC Power supply by using an iFi AC iPurifier at the source of power for the equipment with the upgraded power cables and AC plugs...

Each time I had upgraded the power cables over the years it consistently resulted in a corresponding improvement in the sound quality of my Audio system, but these improvements in the quality of the AC power itself brought the most amazing set of improvements that I have ever heard from my AV system since I installed the very first Hospital Grade AC plug back in 2006.

I have read many reviews of the iFi AC iPurifiers and they vary greatly as far as their effectiveness goes. Over the last 6 months since I installed mine I do believe that the results depend on both placement as well as the quality of the AC cables that are connected to the equipment after the filtering and grounding of the leakage current noise that equipment with SMPS's can generate.

Here is a link to a more detailed account of my experience with installing the iFi AC iPurifiers...

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RickeyM » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:00 pm

I think power filtering is something to start considering.

The top cable is the same as used on the STR-DA4ES and the DVP-S9000. The bottom one is for the XBR-DR2.
RickeyM
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Maxxwire » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:21 am

RickeyM- How do you have your equipment connected to the AC Power? Are you using a power strip which provides all of the equipment with a low impedance path to a common ground? Does the entire system draw AC Power from the same wall outlet?

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables