[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - DA4ES Analog Direct

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:07 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - DA4ES Analog Direct

DA4ES Analog Direct

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by cbe77@verizon.net » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Hello jttar, and everybody--My STR-DA4ES's ANALOG DIRECT shuts off all power to the digital circuits. How important is that really as far as analog sound quality goes?  Thx All,  AD
cbe77@verizon.net
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jttar » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Hello Chet!

Always good to see one of the old timers posting.

When you select ANALOG DIRECT the DA4/7ES turns off only the unnecessary digital circuits automatically. This is supposed to give pure analog signal without any influence from the digital circuits.
That being said, my ear cannot hear any difference in sound quality or volume using analog direct or not.

Also, if you go into the Advanced settings of the receiver under Digital power management, you can select to leave the digital circuits "Always On" by default it is set to "Auto Off".
Sure hope this is of some help.

Regards,
Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by jehill » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:44 am

I don't know how good your hearing is, but I can't hear 12KHz any more.  Perhaps the reason that you can't hear any difference is your hearing.  I can remember the days when I could actually hear the 20KHz output of an audio signal generator.  No more.  You can easily check your hearing with the free iPhone app "e-scope".  You can monitor a FFT of an audio signal increasing frequency to check your upper limit.  I can set the frequency at 12KHz and position the speaker next to my right ear (worst) and not hear the signal, while it drives younger people nuts!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Maxxwire » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:08 pm

On 2013-08-14 17:43, aidendey wrote:
How important is that really as far as analog sound quality goes?

From what I understand the effects that Digital circuitry and wiring can have on Analog Music playback do exist although they are diminutive in magnitude. Nevertheless the perfectionist Audio engineers at Sony saw fit to provide an Analog bypass capability for their ES Grade Receivers knowing that no matter how small everything can make a difference in Audio playback. Now that's attention to detail!

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by jttar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Hello Maxx,

Yea! We're back on the air. Couldn't agree with you more. The Sony engineer's found it necessary to bypass the digital circuitry to give a pure analog signal. Even though I could not hear a difference in the comparison test it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Perhaps John is right on target and these 60+ ears just can't hear the subtle difference.

Joe

jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Joe- Although the Digital noise pollution of Analog does exist I have not seen any mention as to what frequency range it manifests itself during Analog Music playback.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by cbe77@verizon.net » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:06 pm

Joe, John and Maxx, Thanks for the input. With the less than perfect quality of my analog source material, I need every advantage I can get. I also concur w/ John. The combination of spending all of my working life around pneumatic tools, my attending many rock concerts where the volume was excessively loud, and my age means I have probably compromised my ability to hear the very highest frequencies. One show was so loud ( @ The Paramount Theater, Seattle), the PA stacks were cranked up so high that my pant legs were flapping back and forth like a sail. After that, I started using ear plugs, the only downside was you lost the high end if inserted tightly, so I ended up using loosely packed cotton. THX ALL, AD
cbe77@verizon.net
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Maxxwire » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:30 pm

On 2013-08-21 17:06, aidendey wrote:
After that, I started using ear plugs, the only downside was you lost the high end if inserted tightly, so I ended up using loosely packed cotton.

Ear plugs are definitely the way to go if you want to preserve your hearing. I started using them 30 years upon the suggestion of a friend of mine who played in a band. After trying many different brands over the years these days my ear plugs of choice are Hearos..

As for the effect that the Digital section of a Receiver has on Analog playback as I understand it primarily involves noise which may raise the noisefloor slightly above -144 dB which would approximately be the same volume as the sound of a gnats wings at a distance of 20 feet.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Skytrooper » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:29 pm

aidenday, thats a reason I stopped going to live concerts many years ago. You cannot enjoy it if your ears are in pain. I have seen many groups since the 60's. It used to be about the music, not how loud it can be. And I don't even want to get into the price of tickets. How much more money do they need?

Do you consider it fun when you go to a concert that you need ear plugs?
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jehill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:52 am

Unfortunately, not all hearing loss can be prevented by using ear plugs.  I must admit that once I went to a Beatles concert where the noise level was so high that I had to plug my ears to hear the music!  Most of the noise level was from the audience!  My biggest problem is that when I was a teenager and in my 20s I was an active ham radio operator using CW (continuous wave) Morse code exclusively.  I wore earphones with the level cranked up to hear the weak signals.  Suddenly, one day I suffered a permanent decrease in the hearing in my right ear.  I rarely expose myself to high sound levels.  When I do, I use earplugs.  I have a box of E.A.R. ear plugs manufactured by Aero Company, Indianapolis, IN, handy in case I need them.  I place a pair in my ears when my wife's snoring is unbearable.  We had dispensers with the same yellow foam ear plugs available in the power plants that I worked in.  I am pretty sure that the decrease in high frequency response that I am experiencing is due to increasing age.  I didn't realize that it was so poor until I tried out the "E-Scope" app recently.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables