[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - M7 Setup

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:17 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - M7 Setup

M7 Setup

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by PeterPeter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:29 pm

I recently purchases some SS M-7's and they just arrived !   I will be hooking them up to a DB 930.  I also purchased what I believe are the original stands.  I have on order, at Maxx's suggestion  these Furutech FP 3ST20 OCC Single Crystal Copper speaker cables with Furutech FP 201 UPOCC spade lugs .
I have several questions:

1)  There are four terminals on the back of the speakers.  Which of the four do I use?
2)   When the cable arrives, do I put the spade connectors on both ends of the cable or just one end?  If connectors are on just one end, what do I attach them too? (receiver or speakers)?
3)  The speakers don't sit perfectly flat on the stands.  Any suggestions?
4)   Is there anything I should put  on the bottom of the stands to make them more stable/vibrate less...like spikes?  If so, how do I find the appropriate spikes?
5)  Anything else I should ask?  Anything else to have me set these up optimally?
Any other advice, etc....

This is the best site !  The help is amazing.

Peter

PeterPeter
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 pm

PeterPeter-  1)Although there are other configurations you should connect your Sony SS M7 speakers using the lower connections of each speaker with the jumpers in place as shown in the above diagram. There is more information in the Sony M3-M7 Manual.

2) You can connect the spade lugs to either end of the directional speaker cable that you choose whether it be the Receiver or Speakers or get an additional set of spade lugs if you prefer to use them at both ends.

3) I would suggest fashioning a wood shim to steady the speakers on the stands.

4) Spikes are a good way of  rigidly coupling the stands for your SS M7's to the floor. I personally prefer Black Diamond Pyramid Racing Cones under my classic JBL L-100 speakers...

5) As far as refining the setup of your  Sony M7's the OCC Single Crystal Copper speaker cables will allow them to respond to the finest changes you make to setup and your ears will tell you if there is an improvement or not.

On a closing note the BDR Cones did more to improve the sound of my JBL L-100a Speakers which were the ubiquitous Studio Monitors in the US during the 1970's than any other improvements that I subject them to.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by PeterPeter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks Maxx !

Quick follow up....my speaker stands are on carpet, are these still the right speaker cones for my situation?

Peter
PeterPeter
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:47 pm

PeterPeter- I found great success with using BDR Cones under my speakers as outlined in my 2006 Black Diamond Racing Pyramid Cones Thread where I had them placed between the speakers and and a pair of granite slabs that were custom cut for a pair of Quicksilver Tube Monoblocks which was a rare find.

After that I used Marble slabs which are readily available from Home Depot as shown in the graphic above. After I placed the BDR Cones between the rigid surface of the granite slab the sound of my 40+ Year Old JBL Speakers came alive as they had never had before! This was and still is the most dynamic improvement from using BDR Cones due to the fact that the speakers are subject to more vibration than any other component in the Audio System and when that is tuned great results follow.

The common wisdom is that the height of the speaker's tweeters should be as close as possible to the height the of the listener's ears at the listening position. If you want to use the stands that came with your M7's you could simply place a slab of marble on top of the stands and then place the BDR Cones between the marble and the M7's. That said it may be even better to place the marble slab on the carpet and rigidly couple the M7's to it with the BDR Cones. I would suggest trying it both ways and then deciding which method of Resonance Tuning your ears tell you works best for your M7 speakers.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by PeterPeter » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Maxx,

Thanks for the information on the marbel, I'm going to look into that.  I have a couple of questions.

I have hooked up the M7's using some old speaker wire that I had around (nothing fancy).  I hooked them onto the bottom terminals of the M7 and on the DB930, I hooked them up to the front speakers.

The speakers sound great listening to the radio - I've never heard radio sound so good.  But when I hooked up my Yamaha YP-D6 turnable  to the DB930 (which sounded pretty good running through my Kenwood Home theater receiver), it sounded horrendous, coming out of the M7s.  It was all muffled sounding, and the vocals were way, way in the back.  I ran the turntable straight into the DB930.  Then I ran it though an ARTcessories DJ PreII phono preamplifier - didn't sound much better, just strong muffles.  Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?  

Also, I want to hook up my Sony DVP-CX985V CD/SACD player to the DB-930.  What is the optimal way to do that?

Thanks again for all your great help, it's truly appreciated here !
PeterPeter
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:10 am

PeterPeter- There is a much better Pure Analog method of connecting your Turntable to the DB 930 which bypasses the signal degrading A/D-D/A conversions that the Digital Preamp performs on all Stereo connections. First connect your Turntable to the phono preamp and in turn connect it to the right front channel and left front channel Analog Direct inputs on the Multichannel input section of the DB 930's. This will give the Turntable a Pure Analog signal path with essentially nothing between the phono preamp outputs and the DB 930's sweet sounding Amps except for its excellent quality,  all Analog,  Nichicon Fine Gold capacitor coupled ALPS Attenuator...

I know from experience that the DB 930 can do great justice to the sound of a Pure Analog Turntable. Back in the year 2000 I was running a Rega Planer 3 Turntable with a RB 300 Tonearm and a Blue Point Special Cartridge using my DB 930 Receiver for amplification and one day a friend of mine who worked at the Sony Only Store came over to hear what my Turntable and the DB 930 which came from his store could do and so I cued up and played Sade's Diamond Life for him. When the song was finished he exclaimed "Wow your Vinyl setup sounds just as good as the SACD Reference System ($30,000 - $49,000 SCD-1, E-1, N-1 driving SS M9ED and then KEF Reference speakers) that we have down at the store".  

As far as interfacing your Sony DVP-CX985V CD/SACD Player with your DB 930 the highest resolution playback would be to use the Component Video along with either the Electrical Coax or Optical Toslink for Digital for Audio.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by PeterPeter » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Maxx,

I'm despondent with my new M7's. They sound so poor, like an incredibly cheap set of speakers. I have some MB350h's that I use for my home theater - right now the MB350h's sound like the high priced, quality speakers.

I tried the hookup you suggested and there was minor improvement. I then hooked up my DVP-CX985V via optical cable and that sounded just as poor. Very muddled sound, no separation of instruments, vocals, etc...like a speaker in a really old car.

I then hooked up my MB350h's to the DB930. I ran the turntable with your suggested setup and it sound fantastic. I tried wiring the M7's differently, then using the same wires as the MB350h's. I tried it with both the turntable and the DVP-CX985...terrible sounding.

The speakers I bought were from Craigslist. I talked to the guy on the phone, he was a business owner, he was very honest, responsive. He was using the speakers in his retail shop - so they've been heard recently. He packaged the speakers incredibly well and paid for shipping equal to almst the cost of the speakers (it was more than we thought it would be, so he offered to pay the difference), so I'm having a hard time believing it is something wrong with the speakers, yet I can't figure out what else to try ....

Any suggestions? Is there something simple in the wiring a neophyte like myself could be doing wrong? Really bummed here.
PeterPeter
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Skytrooper » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:43 pm

I hope you installed jumpers - to - and + to + on your speaker terminals. Those things could of been bi amped and he left the jumpers off.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by PeterPeter » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:52 pm

Skktrooper,

Thanks for information.  As I mentioned I'm a neophyte in this audio world .  I was putting the wires directly to the terminals.  What are jumpers?  Do you have a pic?  What does it mean for the speakers to be bi-amped?

Thanks again,
Peter
PeterPeter
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Skytrooper » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Usually there is a metal plate connecting the - to - and + to + terminals when the speakers are new. If they are missing, just put a short piece of wire - to - and + to + on each speaker. Then connect your main speaker wire to your receiver. People take the jumpers off if they Bi Amp. That means using 1 power amp for the woofer requiring a speaker wire to the lower terminals and another power amp for the tweeter requiring another speaker wire to the upper terminals.
I hope this is all that is wrong with your speakers.
Skytrooper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables