[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - New 5700ES stuck in Protector mode

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:43 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - New 5700ES stuck in Protector mode

New 5700ES stuck in Protector mode

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by kito2112 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:42 am

Well, this is not how I wanted my first post to go.

I recieved my brand new 5700ES and got it hooked up day before yesterday. I have Klipsch KLF-20 fronts, Klipsch KV-3 center, Klipsch RS5a surrounds and a Def Tech sub.

I gave the 5700 a good 24 hour warmup period, with light duty just watching some TV.

The next day, I started delving into getting the sound calibrated.

I noticed during the noise tests that my left rear surround speaker had a lower volume level
than the right surround, but in my haste to check out this new reciever, I continued on.

After running the auto sound calibration, I plugged in a concert DVD, and away we went.

I enjoy my music at near ear bleeding levels, so after a warmup song, I cranked her up. After another song at decent power levels (+3db), I saw a quick flash on the display (speaker shorted), then the receiver went into Protect mode.

The unit was hot, but I smelled nothing burnt. I immediately got a fan on top of it and cooled it down, but the unit will not reset from Protector mode.

When I turn the power on with remote or front panel, the unit turns on then goes into protector mode. I can get HDMI passthrough to work by unplugging the unit and leaving it in standby mode.

My cabinet is hard to work in, but my next steps will be to disconnect everything and see if I can get it to stay on.

Before I have to contact Sony, any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated. I hope I didn't fry this thing.
kito2112
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by SonyCIS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:32 am

HI.  .turn of the speaker switch, is she still in protect?

unplug all speakers... still in protect..?  tone out speakers for dead shorts. if the unit stays in protection congrats you have released the pre-packaged smoke and now you can  send her back to sony or void the warranty , roll up your sleeves and open her up, i am sure you could dwnload a service Manuel, or hang here till some one else offers up the data... good luck  we r here to help...  let us know...
SonyCIS
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by kito2112 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:02 am

Crap, looks like it blown. Unplugged all speakers, still in protect.

I had sound coming from all 5 speakers, but the rear left surround didn't sound right. Weak and muddled. The rear surrounds are 3-way, I'm assuming something wrong with the speaker caused the amp to overcurrent?

This reciever is replacing a Denon AVR789, which was shutting down on me also at high volume levels. I thought I had it troubleshot to an HDMI problem, because it would get hot when using the Blu-ray player, but I could watch and listen to a Dolby Digital presentation over CATV/SAT at reference levels without issue. This problem has gotten progressively worse over time, so I decided to try the Sony (having owned a 444ES previously), and give myself a huge upgrade to boot.

I never suspected the speaker until I started calibrating the Sony 5700.

Looks like I'll be dealing with Sony, it's just barely out of the box.
kito2112
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by David_S » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:50 am

kito2112-Sorry to hear the sad news.

I was testing one of my DA5700ES receivers as a pre-pro without speakers connected but the volume in the "+" range.  It shut down in protect mode.

The volume might have reset to "-infinity" when you turned it back on after it shut down in protect mode.  If this did not happen, then quickly turn the volume down by the front control after you power up the receiver but before it completes the self test.

Hopefully this corrects your problem.  I don't think these receivers like to be run in the "plus" volume range.

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by kito2112 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:40 am

Thanks for the reply's guys, I tried the volume reset . Looks like the receiver recognizes the volume level, I can adjust it through it's range on the display before it goes into protect mode.

I'll contact Sony on Monday and hope they back me up, they've supported me in the past for buying their high end products.

Now I feel really stupid for ignoring the speaker issue, I know better. 
kito2112
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by mhedges » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:43 pm

You may be better off with separates if you really want to listen at very high volume levels.
mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jehill » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:54 am

I would checkout your left rear surround speaker.  Its easy to do.  Disconnect both rear surround speakers and measure their resistance.  I suspect that you will find that the resistance of the left rear is lower than the right rear.  If you do this check, please provide us with the two resistances.

If the left rear speaker has been damaged, its probably due to excessive volume.  Hopefully, its a shorted capacitor that may be replaced.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by kito2112 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:28 am

Yes, Jehill. I need to do this check and it looks as if I will be in the market for some new surround speakers. If I can fix these, they are certainly worth keeping.

@mhedges, I've never had more than one amp, but it seems with these class D amps, I may have to go that route to listen to multi-channel at the levels I enjoy. I'll need to do some studying up in this area, I've never attempted it or seen it done.

I'll post the resistance measurements of the rears, thanks for the input.
kito2112
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by kito2112 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:55 am

Pulled apart the rear surrounds. I originally misquoted my equipment, these are KSF-S5 surrounds. These are a 2 way 3 speaker system, 2 horns and a 6.5" woofer. Measured both woofers where they connnect on the PCB, the bad speaker is a short and the good speaker measures about 4.5 ohms on an analog Simpson meter :-)  When I put the meter to it, you could hear the speaker move on the good one, nothing on the shorted one.
So the woofer is bad, or is something else causing it?
Here's some specs on the rear surrounds.
KSF-S5

Sensitivity:
93 dB @ 1 watt/1 meter (equivalent sound energy)
Bandwidth:
60 Hz-20 kHz±3 dB
Nominal Impedance:
8 ohms
Crossover Frequency:
1800 Hz
Power Handling:
100 watts maximum continuous (400
watts peak)

Enclosure Type:
Sealed enclosure
Drive Components:
Two way system using two 1" (2.54 cm)
K-99-S neodymium magnet compression dirvers with a 90ºx

60º Tractrix Horn and one 6.5" (16.5 cm) K-1018-S woofer

Weight:
13 lbs. (5.9 kg)
Height:
8" (20.3 cm)
Width:
18.25" (46.4 cm)
Depth:
7.3" (18.5 cm)
Finish:
Black or white matte vinyl

Mounting:
Threaded insert and double keyhole

kito2112
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:29 am

Sometimes, nothing beats an old fashioned multi-meter for troubleshooting.  Sorry to hear that my hunch was right.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables