[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Help selling SS-M9s

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:24 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Help selling SS-M9s

Help selling SS-M9s

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by purdygeoff » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:35 am

I am looking for assistance in selling a pair of SS-M9s.  They belonged to my father who passed away.  These things are pretty heavy so shipping would be quite risky and expensive.  Are there any sites other than ebay dedicated to the sale of high-end gear ?  Also curious if anyone has ideas about current resale value.  They are in excellent shape and approx 10 years old, brown wood casing (I read that they came out with black ones later).  I know msrp was ~3500 and that Sony came out with upgraded models once or twice.  Any thoughts or help appreciated.
purdygeoff
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by mhedges » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:28 am

I would try for a local sale first. These would have to be shipped by freight on a pallet.

Where are you in Ohio? I may be interested. I will pm you my email.

Mark
mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:03 am

Mark_Let us know if you get them. I'd love to read your review!_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:20 pm

On 2012-03-04 07:28, mhedges wrote:
I would try for a local sale first. These would have to be shipped by freight on a pallet.

Mark- Before I just checked it out I didn't realize that a pair of Sony SS M-9 speakers weigh 290 pounds by themselves without the pallet...

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by billbillw » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:39 am

Welcome Geoff,

Sorry to hear about your loss. Your father had great taste in audio equipment. The SS-M9 are quite rare these days and a very fine sounding speaker. I have a pair and I plan to keep them until I die or go deaf.

By your description, you have an original pair of SS-M9, which could date anywhere from 1996-1999. You are correct about the MSRP, but the street price was usually much lower and may were sold as refurbished through the Sony Outlet stores.

Unfortunately, as nice as these speakers are, the Sony brand name hurt their value (both as new and in resale). Sony is simply not known for making high end speakers. The SS-M9 and a few others were rare blips on the radar from Sony.

I've had my eye on SS-M9 sales for the last 2-3 years, and I would say the average price these days, (if they are in good working condition and no major cosmetic flaws) is somewhere between $700 and $1000. The higher end would probably have to be flawless and include original boxes, floor spikes, manual, brochures, etc.

Mark and the others are correct, local pickup is really the only option for these unless a buyer is willing to pay for proper pallet packaging and freight shipment.

I saw that Mark expressed interest and I know he is serious. However, if he does not follow through, I would suggest listing these on Craigslist (be prepared for low ball offers though), Audiogon and possibly Ebay. Just be clear to state they are for local pickup only. Take some good photos in a well lit room.

Good luck.

billbillw
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by purdygeoff » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:17 am

I wanted to thank everyone for the kind assistance and replies. I will let you know how it turns out with this as well as all the other gear. The remaining pieces it appears can be sold via ebay or craigslist.
purdygeoff
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Maxxwire » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:36 am

On 2012-04-09 07:17, purdygeoff wrote:
I will let you know how it turns out with this as well as all the other gear.  

Thanks, that would be interesting.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mhedges » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:23 am

I will be picking these up on the 21st. Can't wait!!
mhedges
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:24 am

On 2012-04-11 09:23, mhedges wrote:
I will be picking these up on the 21st.  Can't wait!!

You're one lucky fellow!! You must keep us updated!_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:12 pm

On 2012-04-11 09:23, mhedges wrote:
I will be picking these up on the 21st.  Can't wait!!

Mark- That's great news! All the hard work you put into Modding your Audio equipment is going to sound its very best now...

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables