[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - STR-DA3200ES

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:58 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - STR-DA3200ES

STR-DA3200ES

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by AaronBurrows » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:30 pm

How do I go about adjusting the treble/bass for Zone 2? I'm coming out of the RCA jacks on the rear panel and feeding a separate power amp for my "whole house" speakers. The unadjusted audio is way too tiney.
Thanks,
Aaron
AaronBurrows
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:59 am

Welcome to Agoraquest!  No tone control is provided for the ZONE 2 AUDIO OUT.  If the sound is tinny, I suspect that it is due to the speakers.  You will need to add a pre-amp with tone controls ahead of the separate power amp if you want tone control.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by AaronBurrows » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Much as I had anticipated but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for the reply (and for the welcome)!

Another question, if I may. Is it possible to come out of the front channel pre-amp out (RCA) on the rear panel and feed that audio into one of the unused audio inputs on the receiver? I've not tried this yet but have two principal concerns; 1) will plugging into the pre-amp out interrupt the audio signal chain and kill audio to the front speakers and 2) my general reluctance to take a feed from the receiver and effectively feed it back into itself.

The idea here is to grab an audio signal from my Apple TV box (HDMI out only, unfortunately), feed it back into an unused audio input and thereby provide an audio signal to the above mentioned "whole house" power amplifier.

Thanks again.
AaronBurrows
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:23 am

Coming out of the front channel pre-amp out (RCA) on the rear panel and feeding that audio into one of the unused audio inputs on the receiver may work for the Zone 2 output, but if you inadvertently select that input for the MAIN output, who knows what will happen?   Why not connect the pre-amp output directly to your "whole house" power amplifier?  The only problem is that the MAIN volume control will effect the volume of the "whole house" power amplifier.  Yes, you can use that output while the MAIN amp is working.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by AaronBurrows » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:26 pm

Thank you, sir. I had that same "wonder what might happen" thought, too. I'm using the Zone 2 rear panel output to feed the power amp (which will soon have an equalizer in the line to compensate for the aforementioned tinny sound) for the whole-house speakers. I was hoping for an elegant way to get both inputs into the power amp without a bunch of plugging and unplugging but I guess that's not going to happen.

In any case, I appreciate your help and advice.
Aaron
AaronBurrows
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:54 pm

Why do you need both the MAIN and ZONE 2 inputs to the power amp?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by AaronBurrows » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:40 am

The Zone 2 line level out is currently feeding the stand-alone (separate) power amplifier that powers the whole-house speaker system. This enables audio from any external audio source to be played throughout the house. In my case this includes, Verizon PVR, DVD and VHS. What I cannot do using this arrangement it to play Apple TV throughout the house. The problem is that the Apple TV box I have provides only an HDMI output (all the other audio sources have RCA outputs that I can feed into an unused audio input on the receiver and thereby reach the Zone 2 output).

I'm looking for another way to get audio routed from the Apple TV box into the receiver. Given that the receiver’s HDMI inputs do not allow analog audio out (or so says the manual), I’m stuck in trying to figure out a workaround.
AaronBurrows
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:21 am

I'm looking for another way to get audio routed from the Apple TV box into the receiver. Given that the receiver’s HDMI inputs do not allow analog audio out (or so says the manual), I’m stuck in trying to figure out a workaround.

That applies to all of the analog outputs other than the PRE OUT outputs.  The audio will be passed to the PRE OUT outputs if the source to the MAIN is an HDMI input.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help you if you are using the ZONE 2 output.  Why don't you purchase an HDMI to COMPOSITE video converter and use the audio outputs as an input to your receiver.  GOGGLE is your friend!  Check out this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Video-R-L-Audio-Digital-Analog-Converter-/270692644634?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D220752773759%26ps%3D54
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by AaronBurrows » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Mr. Hill, thank you sir, you are appreciated! This device is exactly the solution to my problem. Using this device will enable me to route the Apple TV to any one of a number of unused inputs on the receiver and simultaneously send the signal to the Zone 2 output to feed the whole-house power amp/speakers.
It's unusual to find someone like you who is willing to not only take the time to provide a thoughtful reply to a total stranger but to research the reply as well.
I just this minute placed an order for the device.
Thank you again, sir. I truly appreciate your time.
Aaron
AaronBurrows
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:35 pm

Please let us know how it works out.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables