[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - STR-GX10ES

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:53 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - STR-GX10ES

STR-GX10ES

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by David_S » Thu May 26, 2011 10:01 pm

In early March I picked up a STR-GX10ES from a local seller, knowing that it needed some work.

These are my photos that I previously posted of my GX-10ES.

I previously reported:
"The fluorescent display isn't working.  I am hoping it is a solder failure or drive IC and not the display itself.  All other front panel indicators & funstions work.
It also needs a major cleaning.  It is very dusty inside & has been in a smokers house."

I was hoping that the display fault was a minor problem.  Unfortunately the fluorescent display itself was dead.  It appeared to have been shorted by a damaged wire.  One of the speaker terminals was also not working properly.

These are the risks when you buy vintage equipment with problems.

I got a service manual for the GX10ES, it is a shared manual with the GX9ES.  Most of the parts are identical between the 2 units.  The entire display & speaker terminal boards are identical.

Fortunately, all parts unique to the GX10ES are in good condition.

About a month ago I picked up this GX9ES through as a sacrafice unit.
Other than the left rosewood panel being damaged & a minor mark on the right rosewood panel, it is in excellent shape.

I completed doing the stripdown & parts swap.  The best common parts from both units went into the GX10ES.  Repairs to the GX10ES are complete, except for the rosewood side panels.  The repaired GX10ES has 100% of the parts that are unique to the GX10ES.

I will try to take & post some photos of the repaired GX10ES in the near future.  I will also show some of the differences between the GX10ES & GX9ES.

-----------------
TA- E77ES E1000ESD N77ES F555ES
RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
SDP-EP9ES, ST-S730ES
STR-DA4ES, STR-DA3100ES
DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
CDP-X303ES, CDP-CX88ES
MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690
Pioneer CLD-3090 Laserdisc

TA- N77ES, E77ES, E80ES, E9000ES
STR- GX10ES, DA4ES, DA5700ES
DVP- NS999ES
HAP-S1, MDS-JA20ES, ST-S730ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sat May 28, 2011 4:30 pm

David_S- I can't wait to see the pictures of your 'best of both Receivers' GX10ES when you finish restoring it using some of the parts from the GX9ES.

~Maxx~

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

... The Sony DB 930 Legend Continues

Sony H-9 MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Mon May 30, 2011 12:05 pm

David_S- Is there an especially rich source of vintage Sony gear there in BC, or are you just expert in locating these fine pieces?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by David_S » Mon May 30, 2011 9:25 pm

On 2011-05-30 16:05, Maxxwire wrote:
David_S- Is there an especially rich source of vintage Sony gear there in BC, or are you just expert in locating these fine pieces?

~Maxx~

BC is not great but I keep my eyes open & the odd piece that interests me comes up every now & then.  I have had to let some pieces pass by because my budget did not allow the expense at that time.

The (for parts) GX9ES came from Seattle.  A fair amount of vintage ES gear is listed from Seattle.  I drove down to Seattle to pick up the GX9ES, that seller would not ship to Canada.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by mykyll2727 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 pm

David_S_Man I hadn't realized what a pain shipping from the US to Canada had become. Is it the same the other way around. Shipping from Canada to the US?_mykl
mykyll2727
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by David_S » Mon May 30, 2011 9:45 pm

These are some of the damaged parts from the GX10ES.  They are identical to the same part in the GX9ES.

Someone drilled extra holes into the top cover.

The threaded holes in the side of the front chassis were oversized.  Screws for sttaching the top cover use these holes.

The dead fluorescent display.  This was possibly caused by a wire with damaged insulation shorting.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Mon May 30, 2011 11:09 pm

On 2011-05-31 01:25, David_S wrote:

A fair amount of vintage ES gear is listed from Seattle.  I drove down to Seattle to pick up the GX9ES, that seller would not ship to Canada.

Sometimes you just have to take things into your hands and ship it yourself!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by AaronB » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 am

I'm happy to see someone intent on restoring these high end pieces to their former glory. I resurrected a DB930 from the dead around 8 years ago and I still use it on a regular basis.

From the photo of the display, it looks to me like the little glass nub formed when the display was vacuumed then sealed at the factory is actually broken off, and that there is now a visible hole into it. If so, that's what caused the failure.

AaronB
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:53 pm

On 2011-06-01 09:56, AaronB wrote:
I'm happy to see someone intent on restoring these high end pieces to their former glory. I resurrected a DB930 from the dead around 8 years ago and I still use it on a regular basis.

From the photo of the display, it looks to me like the little glass nub formed when the display was vacuumed then sealed at the factory is actually broken off, and that there is now a visible hole into it. If so, that's what caused the failure.

Yes, that is where the glass nub was.  The area inside the display near that corner looks burned.  That is why I think that shorting of a damaged wire to the display board caused the failure.

I hope to get more photos of the GX10ES this weekend.
-----------------
TA- E77ES E1000ESD N77ES F555ES
RM- AV3000 AX1400 (2)AX4000
SDP-EP9ES, ST-S730ES
STR-DA4ES, STR-DA3100ES
DVP- (3)NS999ES NS3100ES CX777ES
CDP-X303ES, CDP-CX88ES
MDS-JA20ES, TC-K717ES, DTC-690
Pioneer CLD-3090 Laserdisc

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by David_S » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:09 pm

These images show most of the differences between the STR-GX10ES & STR-GX9ES.

Transformer & power supply from the GX9ES in foreground.  The large caps are 12000 uF in the GX10ES & 10000 uF in the GX9ES.  The copper coated beam of the GX10ES was removed for this photo.

The back chassis panel of the GX10Es is copper coated, the back chassis panel of the GX9Es is painted black.  Phono, CD & AUX inputs are gold plated only on the GX10ES.

The heat sink in only the GX10ES is black finished.

The only difference in the main boards of the GX10ES & GX9ES are the power transistors.

The front feet of the GX10ES have metal rings over them, the GX9ES does not have these rings.  The only difference in the front panel is the "10" or "9" of the model designation.

The headphone jack (not pictured) of the GX10ES is gold plated, it is nickel plated in the GX9ES.

DVP- NS999ES
RM- AX4000, AX1400
APM-55W, APM-33W
David_S
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables