[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony STR-DB930

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:34 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony STR-DB930

Sony STR-DB930

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by scott1019 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:45 pm

I am starting this thread to document my purchase of the legendary Sony STR-DB930 receiver and share my experiences with current and prospective owners.

I hope to compile a wealth of knowledge about this receiver including an in-depth analysis into the components used and ways to optimize its performance.  I will be sure to include pictures and any technical data I obtain.  

I encourage other owners to share their thoughts and opinions and any information they wish to share.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by jttar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Hello scott1019,

Greetings and welcome.

Being a new member, not sure if you have had a chance to read  THIS  fourteen page thread about your "new" STR-DB30 which also includes Maxxwire's first of his 22+ thousand posts here.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by scott1019 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:01 pm

I did not see this thread, thanks for bringing this to my attention. After reading this I wish that the DB930 had some of the DB940's features like Analog Direct and OSD.
scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:05 pm

Here is another thread with some good repair information.

DB930 issue

scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:50 pm

On 2010-08-19 21:01, scott1019 wrote:
After reading this I wish that the DB930 had some of the DB940's features like Analog Direct and OSD.

Scott- The DB 930 does have Analog Direct by way of its Multichannel inputs where the Digital Preamp Section is bypassed eliminating the need for OSD to adjust Preamp settings and all that is between the inputs and the Amps is the DB 930's Audiophile Grade ALPS Attenuator which is outfitted with genuine Nichicon Fine Gold capacitors...

~Maxx~

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by scott1019 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Do the other analog inputs have analog direct as well or just the 5.1 inputs?

If not, it appears as if I'll need to find a dedicated digital processor/pre to handle these duties. I would have no idea where to start looking as my budget is really a limiting constraint in this area.

Would it be "wrong" to use another Sony receiver such as the DA5ES that I am currently seeking as a dedicated digital processor/pre-amp?

scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Speaking of Analog Bypass Inputs I have yet to make an upgrade on the DB 930 which I have already made throughout my Stereo System and that is to replace the 15% IACS conductivity OEM gold plated nickel RCA Sockets with gold plated Pure Copper RCA Sockets...

I don't know if it is the sound of the 99.99% AICS conductivity or the Pure Copper itself, but when no other changes are made in the Audio System these Pure Copper RCA Sockets which came from the same supply that Dan Wright uses on all of his ModWright Industries gear there is an increased level of purity and authenticity in the Music playback that far exceeds the relatively inexpensive cost of the upgrade.

~Maxx~

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Explore The New Sony MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:49 pm

On 2010-08-19 22:11, scott1019 wrote:

Do the other analog inputs have analog direct as well or just the 5.1 inputs?

The only Analog Direct inputs on the DB 930 are is its Multichannel inputs. How many pieces of Analog front end equipment do you have that you want to run in Analog Bypass through the DB 930? What duties do you need to find a dedicated digital processor/pre for?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by scott1019 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:49 pm

I wasn't planning on upgrading the RCA jacks, thanks for the recommendation. After my initial "stock" comparison is over I may just elect to do this.

scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by scott1019 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:03 pm

How many pieces of Analog front end equipment do you have that you want to run in Analog Bypass through the DB 930? What duties do you need to find a dedicated digital processor/pre for?

I would like to run several analog components into the DB930.   I would like a processor that will do all the duties of the DA5ES for 5.1 surround processing.  

I am ok going with something contemporary as long as its worth the extra expense.  I've been tempted with the Emotiva UMC-1 since it'll decode virtually anything.  

scott1019
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables