[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - RF Inputs??

Advanced search
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:24 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - RF Inputs??

RF Inputs??

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony television settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your picture, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals.

Moderator: jttar

by Badbob001 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:58 am

I bought a new KDL40EX500 and started to plug in my cable and my outside antenna for local tv stations and there is only one rf input. On my old 32" lcd sony I had an rf input input for cable and an input for the antenna. How do you hook up this combination on the newer sets???
Badbob001
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by andyross » Tue May 25, 2010 11:48 am

You'll have to use a separate A/B switch. Basic ones are mechanical, there are also some electronic ones with remotes. You would also have to toggle the TV between Cable and AIR modes. I don't know if it keeps the memories separate or not. If not, you would have to rescan at each change.

Basically, separate tuners is rare now. As it is, built-in tuners are mostly a joke for most people since you typically need a box of some form to get anything beyond very basic channels.

andyross
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by jehill » Thu May 27, 2010 1:34 pm

There is no need to provide an A/B switch.  Your cable provider is required by law to provide the local "over the air" channels free of charge.  This includes the HD channels.  With the $50 tuner board that I have in my PC that includes a QAM tuner, I can watch all of the local HD channels.  Its a pain to locate them, but once you have, they are easily available to watch.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Badbob001 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:36 am

I don't have cable I have the c-band satellite, the coax comes from my sat reciever (4DTV) to the cable rf input and the outside antenna goes to the rf antenna input on my current tv setup. Sony support said to use an a/b switch with the new tv but my local Best Buy guy said it wont work on the new sets with one rf input because of the tuner problem. The user manual for the new tv says this rf input is for antenna or cable not both.
Badbob001
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Fri May 28, 2010 1:42 pm

I didn't know that you were using a satellite feed.  An A/B switch should work fine.  If your set had an antenna input and a cable input, an internal A/B switch would be used to make the selection.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Badbob001 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Also the Best Buy guys said that in the not to distant future tv's will come with no tuners, basically become a monitor as they were in the beginning, using service provider box. So whats to become of the millions of people that use antenna's only for free reception?
Badbob001
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Mon May 31, 2010 7:14 am

I wouldn't believe everything that you are told at Best Buy.  A TV set by definition includes a tuner.  I am pretty sure that it is required by the FCC.  In other words, if it doesn't include a tuner, its not a TV!
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Return to Television Configuration