[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - "40XBR800 owner" - My system... (looking for anyone into high-end audio to share ideas with.)

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:53 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - "40XBR800 owner" - My system... (looking for anyone into high-end audio to share ideas with.)

"40XBR800 owner" - My system... (looking for anyone into high-end audio to share ideas with.)

This Forum is for any other questions you might have and for discussions on the latest Sony television news.

Moderator: jttar

by sony4me » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:00 am

Well, to anyone interested...

I am looking for anyone who shares the same common interests as I in the world of high-end audio.

If there is indeed anyone interested, please don't hesitate to reply and or share your system setups. Also, you may AIM me at iXeonP4.

Here is my current audio/theater/audio-video system.

TV: Sony 40XBR800 (internally modified)

TV STAND: Sony 40XBR800 stand

POWER CONDITIONER: PS Audio P-1200 and
Richard Grey Power Company 1200S's

COMPONENT CABLE: Audioquest YIQ-4 (2
meter)

SVIDEO CABLE: Monster M2000 2 meter

DVD Player: Panasonic DVD-H2000 and Krell
DVD Standard and Meridian 800 DVD

CD Player/DAC: Linn CD12 and Mark Levinson
Reference CD player/dac

Speaker Cables: MIT V1.1 biwire Oracle

Audio interconnects: MIT V1.1 Oracle Proline
and Siltech Cables Snow Lake Signature G5

Optical Cable: Aural Symphonics Exelon ST

Audio Pre AMP: Yamaha RXV1, B&K 507, Krell
Class A, Krell Home Theater Standard 2.0,
Mark Levinson Reference

Power Amplifiers: Krell FPB600MC's and Mark
Levinson N33's

Main Speakers: B&W Nautilus 801's and
Wilson Audio Watt Puppy System 7 and
Avantgarde Uno's

Center Speaker: B&W Nautilus 801

Rear Speaker: B&W Nautilus 801's

Front Projector: Sharp XVZ-9000U

Front Projection screen: 120" Stewart
Grayhawlk

Power cables: JPS Labs Aluminata

Audio Rack: Particular Ypsilon and Paricular
Duo XL and BDI Ventura MAX with 18x18x3/4
Black Galaxy granite plates

Audio Rack Base: 2" thick Black Galaxy
granite (40x40)

TV Base: 2" thick Black Galaxy granite (60x40)

CDR Media: TDK Europe CD Audio Pro 74

CDR Drive: Yamaha External F1 SCSI

CDR Base: 2" thick Black Galaxy granite(18x1

PC: QUAD Pentium3 XEON 733 2Mb cache with 1GB RAM, 2.5TB SCSI-Ultra320 RAID

Game system: XboX with Monster 400 HD component cables, Halo, Unreal 2003, Live, Mechassault

AC Power: 3 dedicated power lines digital/analog/high-power

Subwoofer: Velodyne HGS-18's

THX EQ: Audio Control Bijou

Favorite Artists: Diana Krall, Luther Vandross,
Janet Jackson, John Lennon, and 80's music.

Remote Control: Yamaha RAV-2000 and
Compaq Pocket PC H3835

Dedicated Room size: L70'xW55'xH15'

Want to get into vinyl but still learning.. and looking and listening to the Clear Audio Reference LP player.

By the way, I LOVE my 40XBR800! An indeed fine TV, worthy of my calling it my "holi grail" of TVs. Excellent job Sony!!!!
sony4me
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by ralfo » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:57 am

Do you have any recomendations as far as 40xbr800 setting. I have it about a week and can't seem to find a balance. Channels that come in great such as HBO are awsome and others very grainy and blurred. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ralfo
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by kmmd » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:32 am

Hi sony4me!

Thank you for all of your info!

Please do not misunderstand me, but isn't this an "unofficial SONY website"? I think that your questions and ideas may be better answered on the following sites:

Audio Asylum
Audiogon

There are great threads on these sites!

Great equipment you have, but aren't the Yamaha RXV1 and B&K507 AV receivers? Did you modify them too?

Have a good one!
kmmd
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by sony4me » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:12 pm

REPLY TO: ralfo

Well, with regards to the picture quality, I have found the best settings below.... the numbers are the green selection hash marks (ie- ||||||-----------). Of course 50% is half of the marks. These settings I obtained after so many hours of use and observation. I found these settings to be excellent FOR ALL sources.

MODE= STANDARD (ONLY USE THIS! and forget the rest!)
PICTURE= 19/64
BRIGHTNESS= 42/64
COLOR= 32/64 (50%)
HUE= 50% (default)
SHARPNESS= 64/64 (100%)
COLOR TEMP=WARM (NTSC)
Clear Edge VM = HIGH
DRC MODE=CINEMOTION
DRC Palette=Custom1 CLEARITY=1 and REALITY=1

16:9=AUTO

FORGET about the clearity and reality crap.. because it really alters the picture... so turing the sharpness all the way up yeilds better resaults without the "smearing" of the video and or words/characters when using the clearity or reality feature.

The settings about will work on any 40XBR800 unless it has been ISF calibrated.

Try the settings about as they will yeild the best color/contrast/brightness combination possible under ANY conditions of the source material. True black is also key here without washing out the darkest of colors. Also, the "true" black of the component inputs has also been taken into consideration- yeilding the best possible settings for all sources, even in the 16:9 mode where the brightness and all the other attributes are really increased because of the CRT resizing the pixels- making things much brighter because of the more compacting of the pixels.

SO, these settings are the best I have found for the 40XBR800. I am using them right now as I am typing this reply on this screen AND IT's AWESOME on my PC as my permanent monitor... via SVIDEO for now until I get the new Nvidia FX video board with the DVI interface connector.

If your still not happy with the settings about then I WOULD consider ISF calibration. But be carefull... and ASK the tech to write down ALL THE ORIGINAL values on a paper for you just in case you would want to enter the service mode and restore the changes!!!! (Not doing this could be a potential problem later on....)

Take care and if you need anymore advice and or help, then drop me a line again or AIM me.

REPLY TO: kmmd

Yes I pretty much modify anything electronic I can open. (But do be carefull all you modifiers out there.... and follow the rules of safety.)

And thanks for the proper direction for my audio world... Lol.
sony4me
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by vore » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:59 am

sony4me...LOL does your mommy know what your doing in here....it's not right to lie
Linn CD12 costs $20,000
Meridian 800 DVD player costs $14,500

Please give us a break oK!

Oh by the way I live in a real live theater...wanna see some pics?....lol
vore
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by kmmd » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:16 pm

WHOA!!!
kmmd
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by sony4me » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:37 pm

Lol...

REPLY TO : vore and others applicable

Actually, I'm quite serious about my system. And yes it's true that I did make it happen with stock. But I do indeed have an addiction to music as to blindly go far and beyond.

I offer plenty of tours and auditions for my system and not to mention sell, buy, trade gear on Ebay.

YES your right about the Linn CD12... I do have it and I hated the long wait for it... about 4 months after payment, somewhat scary since it came from Ireland.. far from me.
I also too had problems with customs with regards to the player.

But to be honest, musically the Linn CD12 sounds so perfect.. but also the Panasonic DVD-H2000 sounds somewhat on par to the Linn CD12. I do find myself using the Panasonic DVD-H2000 when playing my TDK Pro Audio CDR's I remastered using an AD/DA PC card at 32bits floating point at 192KHz stereo and back down to CD specification. (Diana Krall is to die for!)

But yes, my system is indeed here next to me as I am typing on this 40XBR800, and NICE screen by the way!

Oh, did I mention that I am also a engineer and programmer for Cisco Systems?

Take care all.
sony4me
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Cthugar » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:22 am

Sony4Me, I do believe that you own the toys that you claim that you do and have no reason to doubt you. That's certainly a VERY impressive set-up and any of us on this board would be quite happy to have even half of what you have.

I'm assuming that someone with your income would also own a top of the line digital camera which would be an excellent way to quell any rumors that what you claim your home theatre contains isn't exactly true. Why not post some pics of your killer rig and allow us less fortunate an opportunity to gaze upon a dream system?

(Pleeeaaase!!! )
Cthugar
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by sony4me » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:15 am

Hello to all, I finally did post my system pictures up. There are a bit crappy since my "el cheapo" digital camera sucks on ice! I will be buying a new one in the price range of $400 to $1000. Any ideas?

Well anyway, I am using the same website kranston used to post his photographs on.

Here is the link to my system photographs...

http://www.pbase.com/yamaha4me

Oh, and (lol), sorry for the "yamaha4me" thing, I just accidently created my account that way since I usually go by yamaha4me. Sorry, I should have kept the tradition of my being Sony4me.

PS, I will be posting a whole LOAD of photographs of my system soon, so for those interested, stay tuned.

Take care all!
sony4me
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by vore » Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:28 am

This is the CES photo from their site:
http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2001/loudspeakers/image_066.shtml

This is your photo you say is from your home...gee you have the same drapes and carpet and your room is smaller than what you say it is....come on Sony4me or whatever your name is give us a break.

Oh and if you do supply us with any more of YOUR photos can you be in the same shot.

Your obviously a child which is no crime but your posting false and misleading information on this site...The moderator will be notified.

vore
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Television Misc and News