[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - bdp s550 upgrade

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:18 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - bdp s550 upgrade

bdp s550 upgrade

This forum addresses questions on Blu-Ray

Moderator: jttar

by parney » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:06 am

anyone do the upgade to the bdps550.?
parney
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by parney » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:01 am

My brother in law just did the firmware upgrade on his bdps 350.Ive been doing some looking and noticed on sony site they mention firmware

UPDATE_BDPS350_VER010.EXE

Version :

but Icant find any info for the BDPS550 Im wondering if anyone has any info on this or has found a firmware upgrade to their BDPS550?Dont want to pull the player out and hook it up to pc for nothing if you know what I mean.Thankyou..
parney
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:34 am

G'day Parney,
             What was the firmware upgrade on the S350?

Are you asking if anyone Knows of a firmware upgrade for the S550?....You have me wondering what it could possibly be ,it seems to operate faultlessly.

mav'

P.S Interestingly theirs seems to be an on going debate whether the 550 decodes DTS HD MA internally to use via the analog interconnects.According to Sony's Home site it does and my own player displays it on screen when in use  ,but it doesnt seem to be good enough to satisfy all.

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by parney » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:38 pm

The firmware up date for the bdps350 was like 56.23 mb and 9 files.It is mentioned on http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=3779&SMB=YES?template_id=2&region_id=1 

I hooked my bdps550 up through ethernet and their was no updates at this time.I am still waiting on new cables and have not connected via analog interconnects so I cant comment on the DTS HD MA issue.
parney
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:21 am

G'day parney,
                The 56.23mb utility updates the BDP-S350 firmware to version 010, and adds BD-Live capability.

The S550 already has BD-live capabiltiy that's why it doesn't need the firmware upgrade.

I don't have HDMI capabiltiy on my Sony ES AV reciever (STR-VA333ES),that is the reason i purchased the S550 over the 350,I utilize the analoge 7.1 interconnects .

I believe it decodes DTS HD MA via analog it definitley sounds incredible,it tell us it does via its display on the top right hand side of the screen when audio is selected and pushed on it's remote (will movie is played). My Denon 3910 universal SACD/DVD-A player displays it's audio decoding type in exactly the same fashion.

Sony states that it does(decode DTS HD MA via analog ) ,it's manual states it does and Sony.com promotes that it does. The debate out their mainly at Cnet  in my humble opinion is mute.

Cheers mav'  

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by parney » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:53 pm

G'day Mav  picked up my 8 rca cables today hooked the bdps550 to my da4es through the multichannel analog.Well I think I have my settings the same as you mav from your other post.Now I must say I was impressed by the sound definitly worth the effort.In my display it says HD  EXT not DTS HD MA is this right or wrong ? It sounds great not sure if Im missing something here or not.
parney
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by parney » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:56 pm

The display im talking about is the one on the bluray player its self not my tv.It is saying HD EXT hope this is right.
parney
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:52 am

G'day parney,
            Yes it displays HD EXT on player .But that's not telling you which format its decoding only its HD ready(I think), I'm actually talking about on your TV or in my case projector screen top RHS..

If you use your remote controll and push the "DISPLAY" button (RHS above the blue button )while the movie is being played it will tell you which audio format is being decoded( some Bluray movies seem to have Dobly Digital 3.2.1 as the  formate of first choice).If it 's not in use scroll through the formats push the "AUDIO" button on the remote (LHS above the red button).Usally it scrolls through the formats with each push of the AUDIO button e.g:- 1 english,2 english,3 English, 4 German,5 polish,6 French .If choose one and leave it, say on 1 english or 2 english , it then opens up and diplays (same place on the screen)tells you which format youv'e chosen e.g English DTSHD MA 3.2.1...Then if you really want to confirm youv'e got DTS HD MA , go back and push the DISPLAY button.

Personally I always play the uncompressed format.Even if the movie only states PCM 3.2.1 (like Harry Potter movies)and has dolby 3.2.1 the PCM has no or less compression than Dolby Digital it sounds fantastic. You can pick the audio difference immediatley when you scroll through the audio formats as a I described above....

I've only been impressed with only two Bluray Dolby True HD movies so far though, Iron Man and Indiana Jones. "Stealth" in uncompressed PCM3.2.1 and a real oldy "U571" in DTS HD MA 3.2.1 sound incredible and most reviewers use them as a standard for reference .

Mav'
   P.S did you get my settings from the other threads .
Here they are again just in incase :-

You go into 550 setup menu and first change "audio connection" to "
                                                         multichannel".          

These are my other settings to get uncompressed audio:-

BD Audio setting .Mix or Direct ("direct" allows  uncompressed , DTS HD MA,Dolby true,).mine set to "Direct")

Audio DRC:- Wide range( means compression "turned off" )(I have mine set "wide range")

Audio ATT :- Reduces output level to lesson analogue audio distiortion. On /Off (I have it turned Off)

48KHZ PCM/96KHZ  -  48/24 or 96/24KHZ (mine set at 96/24)

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by parney » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:41 pm

yes I did get your setttings from the other threads thankyou.Your instructions are great I can now see the display of the format that is playing.I just finnished watching the POLICE certifiable on blueray.Pretty awesome so you keep these same settings even when whatching regular DVD s? I like to watch alot of conserts with my home theatre.Well these settings really helped me out Mav now I have to try and find some Pinkfloyd in blu-ray.
parney
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by maverick11359 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:02 pm

On 2009-01-27 23:41, parney wrote:

yes I did get your setttings from the other threads thankyou.Your instructions are great I can now see the display of the format that is playing.I just finnished watching the POLICE certifiable on blueray.Pretty awesome so you keep these same settings even when whatching regular DVD s? I like to watch alot of conserts with my home theatre.Well these settings really helped me out Mav now I have to try and find some Pinkfloyd in blu-ray.

G'day parney,
              Glad to help !
       I'm finding the Sony S550  a really great little piece of equipment .I'm listening to DVD movie's via the multichannel and not using my (STRVA333ES  AV reciever) DSP sound stage cinema processing anymore.Personally I like the Multichannel for listening to music as well, where as my daughter when listening and watching  J'low and Beyonce music DVD's uses the Digital interconnect between the S550  and the VA333ES .She goes into Audio  setup when she turns on the bluray player and changes multichannel to Digital coaxial(I turn it back to multichannel when i put it in use),she loves the DSP concert hall sound stages of the AV amp.

As you may have possibly found uncompressed audio has ahuge audible range it can be really quite in some passages and then earth chatteringly load in others(very real to life very addictive).I'm finding it very hard to go back to standard DVD"s .

Mav'  

maverick11359
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

Next

Return to Blu-Ray