[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Tribute to the Sony SS Speaker line (SS-K90ED, SS-K30ED, SS-CNK10ED)

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:46 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Tribute to the Sony SS Speaker line (SS-K90ED, SS-K30ED, SS-CNK10ED)

Tribute to the Sony SS Speaker line (SS-K90ED, SS-K30ED, SS-CNK10ED)

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by SergeantYnot » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:40 am

Note: This thread is an amalgamation from a previous thread about the Sony SS-K90ED floorstanding speaker, and the other SS counterparts.

So this story begins around the summer of 2004. My house was being renovated, and I carved out a special area for my new home theater.  Originally, I started out with a small budget, mainly for a new HDTV.  I had an old Aiwa HTIB that worked surprisingly well over the years that I was planning on reusing.  However, I remembered a time being in Circuit City many years ago, and seeing their premier home theater room playing the ending chase scene from Mission Impossible.  It was one of the most defining moments of my audiophile life.  The sound was auditioned above reference level entirely on a Polk 5.1 system (I believe the fronts were RTi series), powered by an Onkyo receiver.  I figured I would never be able to crank out that kind of power with any kind of HTIB solution, and decided it was time to enter the true audiophile world.

So my budget for a new HT went up (obviously, LOL).  The first thing I wound up getting was a Samsung 42" plasma, and more importantly the Pioneer Elite VSX-1012 (the U.S. model is VSX-45TX). My last decision was for the speakers.  Having followed Polk for years, I was locked in to buy all Monitor-series speakers.  When I was in Circuit City's HT room checking them out, I happened to glance over at the Sony SS series.  I instantly liked their design; that teardrop looked sophisticated.  It's kind of funny how they were all lined up in a corner by themselves away from the other big brands like Polk, Definitive, Yamaha, etc.  I had never really seen or heard anything spectacular about Sony speakers, other than a typical HTIB.  In the past when I researched Sony, you would be able to buy a pair of cheap towers for less than $300, which is why when I first saw the SS-K90ED (tower) retail for over $800 a pair, I was flabbergasted!

They would cost double what the Monitor series would cost me for a pair of towers.  So I immediately dismissed them.  Being curious later, I went on to Circuit City's website to check out pricing and reviews, and saw that the online price was reduced exponentially; to where a pair was $300...considerably less than the Polks I wanted.  That's when I started reading reviews on them.  I must have spent a week looking up the various SS models (center and bookshelf), and in that time I could NOT find one negative review about them.  In fact, there seemed to be universal praise for Sony's new SS line in terms of being some of the finest speakers they've ever developed.

Of course, I still had my doubts because in the back of my mind audiophile grade speakers from Sony seemed non-existent in the home theater world in my era.  Additional research had proved that the development of the SS models began somtime in 2003.  Apparently, Sony had hired (almost stolen) the top sound engineer from Polk to re-engineer their speaker line and to market them to the high end world.  Imagine that, in the end I'd wind up with Polk Audio inspired engineering.  In addition, I remember reading Sony's design articles that they were designed as a teardrop to reduce standing waves, as well as for aesthetics (see pic below).  From everything I researched, this was a huge deal for Sony as corporate news.  And as a side note, I currently have not been able to find any information to prove any of this.

After all this online research, I went back to CC and auditioned them.  Comparing them directly to the Polk Monitors I always wanted, the Sony's edged them out by sounding just a tad cleaner with a hint of bass.  I'm sure over a break in period the Polks would've been just as fine, but who knows right?  So after testing them out, I was ready to make a purchase.  I checked their price tags and yet again noticed they were unchanged from their original price in store.  Back then CC or BB did not have that "one price promise."  So I wound up ordering online the SS-K90ED (towers), SS-K30ED (bookshelf), and SS-CNK10ED (center) for my 5.1.  Since I was going severely over budget (not a surprise, LOL), I decided I would recycle my Aiwa towers for the SurrBack channels.

This is the only regret I have to this day about my home theater.  I should have gotten an extra pair of K30s to complete the 7.1 setup.  Little did I know the SS speaker line would be radically discontinued, and live on in infamy amongst select audiophiles that own them.  The last time I checked, a USED paid of K30s sold for $250 on the 'bay.  Oh well, I wound up getting rid of those pesky Aiwas, and now use the K30s for the SurrBack channels.  I bought a pair of Polk Monitor 50s for the surround channels, so now I have a hint of Polk in my home theater after all.

Overall, having owned the SS speakers from Sony for close to 5 years, I have no complaints whatsoever, and continually compare them to other high end brands like Klipsh and Definitive.  I haven't really heard anything that makes me want to upgrade.  I've cranked out unimaginable sound, gaming, music, and play all my DVDs at or just below reference level.  Whatever, I've thrown at them, they've withstood.  I hope Sony someday releases a white paper on the history of these speakers.  But as we all know, Sony has a reputation for quickly sweeping their "business failures" under the rug.  Case and point: the Sony MS Walkman.

Please enjoy the pics below!

SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 pm

SergantYnot- Thank you so much for sharing the story of your Sony SSK speakers with us! As you probably already know we have quite a number of Members who are also very enthusiastic about their collections of these great sounding and equally good looking speakers. Its hard to capture the 5 years worth of effort that you put into this project, but the pictures you posted give us a very good idea of how much thought and dedication you put into your SSK speaker project and I am confident that it can be heard in every performance that your A/V System gives!

I enjoyed the pictures you posted of your Sony SSK speakers very much. Such great speakers deserve the best photographic representation which is why I felt a small technicallity should be pointed out and that is that you can avoid horizontal stretching distortion by posting the pictures in the same aspect ratio as your camera took them in which is 4:3 instead of the 4:2.5 aspect ratio which was used.

~Maxx~

-----------------
A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Quick Link to MaxxPix

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Von_Dutch » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:59 am

i remmember seeing those speakers on catalog. I stiil have the cheat papers from sony, too bad never had a change to listen to them.

Those floor stands are from the speakers? or did u fit them?

Btw nice collection of gaming plataforms!
Von_Dutch
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Maxxwire » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:31 am

Von_Dutch- SeargentYnot has more posted about the speaker stands he made  HERE IN THE DIY FORUM.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by claudio » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:41 am

Very nice setup. You must have every gaming system every made. The Nintendo 64 brings back memories.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by SergeantYnot » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:27 pm

On 2009-01-16 13:41, claudio wrote:
Very nice setup. You must have every gaming system every made. The Nintendo 64 brings back memories.

I agree...I think some of Nintendo's best games of all time are on this platform.  Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 are their best games to date.
SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by SergeantYnot » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:30 pm

On 2009-01-16 06:59, Von_Dutch wrote:
i remmember  seeing those speakers on catalog. I stiil have the cheat papers from sony, too bad never had a change to listen to them.

Those floor stands are from the speakers? or did u fit them?

Btw nice collection of gaming plataforms!

Von_Dutch,

Thanks for the compliment!  As for those stands, the mounting kit and stabilizers came packaged with the speakers.  Oddly enough, when I saw them on display, they were not installed.  When I was unpacking the speakers, it was a pleasant surprise to find!

SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by SNY4ME » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:36 pm

I looked to the future and grabbed an extra pair of SS-K30ED's for my system for the day when I have enough room to go 7.1. They are still in the box I only took them out to test and inspect them for defects.

I tell you convincing my Fiance to buy an extra set for several years down the road was pretty difficult to say the least. Especially when cash was tight after moving into our first home. LOL.

Still no regrets though. I have full intentions of setting them up one day.

Lyle

SNY4ME
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by SergeantYnot » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:54 am

On 2009-01-17 00:36, SNY4ME wrote:
I looked to the future and grabbed an extra pair of SS-K30ED's for my system for the day when I have enough room to go 7.1. They are still in the box I only took them out to test and inspect them for defects.

I tell you convincing my Fiance to buy an extra set for several years down the road was pretty difficult to say the least. Especially when cash was tight after moving into our first home. LOL.

Still no regrets though. I have full intentions of setting them up one day.

Lyle

Lyle,

Very nice!  How did they sound when you tested them?
SergeantYnot
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by SNY4ME » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:15 am

They sounded great. I've got a pair running right now with my 5.1 system and they are great. I can't wait until we move to a house with enough room to setup a proper 7.1 system.

Lyle
SNY4ME
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables