[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony is going to replace my KF42WE610, what does that mean please?

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:45 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony is going to replace my KF42WE610, what does that mean please?

Sony is going to replace my KF42WE610, what does that mean please?

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by KrisE » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:09 am

I was hoping someone would tell me because god forbig Sony would!  
I bought this sony 12/2003, worked great, but the bulb finally went out.  In researching what was wrong I ran into the Sony problem of the fan dysfunctioning/burning out the TV set.

While changing the bulb, I saw the faceplate door was in fact melted.  A tech came out and said the tv really needed replacing and recommended this to Sony.

So.......... I get a call to fax my receipt and go find a new TV I like then call them back.  I asked what the replacement value was and they wouldn't say.  I asked well if I get an equal sized TV of equal value, do you send it out free?  No comment on the other end.  I could hear crickets chirping.

It's 5 years old this Christmas, per a recent Sony class action suit, TV's are apparently supposed to last 8 years.  

I spent 2,015.10 minus tax on this one.  I guess if you calculate this out, I'd get $750 in replacement value?     

My question is this... how would you handle this situation please?  

I'm going to go find me a TV and call them back.  I'll keep everyone posted.  Advise would be appreciated.  

We love the TV and all the million other Sony devices/tv's/sound systems/computers we own.  BTW... I hope they treat me right because when we bought this house we spent well over 20,000 on electronics (all sony).  We'll be replacing alot of this in the near future... Sony... they hopefully realize they have a fan base.

KrisE
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by claudio » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:30 am

Here are a couple of pictures on what the warped/melted door will look like.

As for the replacement value. They should give you more details on how much the replacement value is.

I would email

SonyListens@am.sony.com

And explain the situation via email that way you have a written copy. They should answer with the replacement value.

I will be interested to see what the process is to get a replacement TV from Sony and how much they offer you.
Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by KrisE » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:07 am

On phone with them now.  I chose Model Number: KDL-46Z4100/B as my replacement TV. 
It's a 46" Bravia Z-Series LCD Flat Panel HDTV, retail 2,599.00, quoted 400 off by sony sales to retail at 2,199.00.

Next step is for them to process the sales receipt I faxed to them.  I'm to hear back within a day. 

Thanks Agoraquest, I feel empowered with the information given in this forum to first detect my bulb was burnt out, how to replace the bulb, then in finding out there was an issue with this model and that there was a current fan malfunction.  

Hopefully, I'll be able to give everyone a good idea how Sony handles this issue.  
KrisE
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by KrisE » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:17 am

Thanks claudio, I did email and got a call within a 1/2 hour upon hitting send...  A fun guy from Long Island said they hadn't received my fax so I dug it up and the fax was sent 3 hours ago.

I hope he calls me back so I can give him more grief about his east coast accent during our conversation about Sony value vs my replacement costs.  He stated they have a sliding scale?  HUH?  I'm sorry, but this is a replacement television as per my conversation with Sony.... not an upgrade to a television I was ready to trade in.

I think I'll send him the link to this forum after all this is said and done.  Sony be nice now.... I'm one of many loyal customers who replace our tv's on a regular basis (when we're good and ready to, NOT when a fan malfunctions and burns the tv out).
KrisE
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by KrisE » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:13 am

I'm absolutely offended by Sony right now.  I called in to find out if they'd finally processed my receipt.  I was offered  $50.00 (that's fifty dollars)  towards purchase of a new Sony TV.  

Why do they call this their "Replacement Department"?  

I'm guessing by the time they charge me for shipping/handling, I'd be better off buying something on sale down the street.

I emailed "sonylistens" my response and plan to make all documentation public so those loyal Sony customers as myself can be warned.  Sony does NOT stand by their product.  

When a fan malfunctions due to a design flaw, it's their moral responsibility to make things right.  I'm certain another class action suit will follow.  

In two years when I replace my 2, 7K tv's, 2, 2K surround systems, 2 - 600.00 recording devices (all sony)  Sony will have no more presence in my home.  

Way to go Sony!
KrisE
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by KrisE » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Sony came through.  Wow.  They called me back and offered to replace my tv with the 42" Bravia V-Series LCD Flat Panel HDTV
KDL-42V4100

I couldn't be happier.  I have to take the model info off the bad tv and send it with a letter stating I won't seek further damages from them.  I'm fine with that.

thanks Sony...   
KrisE
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:42 pm

KrisE,

Great news!  It is good to hear that Sony did come through and replaced your TV with the KDL42V4100.

Your previous post may have been a little premature but you can always go back and edit it.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Best of luck with your new Flat Panel.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by claudio » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:14 pm

I'm glad everything worked out. I thought $50 was way too low and maybe it was an error.
KDL42V4100 is a great replacement.

Found the link to the Sony Bulleting for:

Limited Extended Warranty for Certain 2003 and 2004 Televisions Exhibiting Warping of the Lamp Access Door

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--esupportsonycom-perl-news-itemplnewsid261templateid1regionid1KSMFlag7370&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_NEWS_ALERTS_1_1&dialogID=12272110&stateId=1%200%2012270417

Below is the text in the link:

It has come to our attention that a limited number of Grand WEGA rear projection televisions (models listed above) may exhibit warping to the lamp access door. In rare cases, some additional components may also become damaged as a result.

Sony would like to assure its customers that this issue has been evaluated extensively and that there are no product safety concerns caused by this issue.

As part of our commitment to quality, Sony will reimburse owners of eligible models in the United States who paid out-of pocket expenses on or before May 9, 2008 for an estimate or repair service related to this specific lamp door issue. To receive reimbursement, please follow the exact directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by August 31, 2008. See the claim form for complete terms and conditions.

Additionally, through March 31, 2009, Sony will repair the lamp access door and any other components damaged as a result at no charge for any of the covered televisions. Customers who experience this issue should contact Sony at (888) 649-7669 to schedule a repair. Sony will only provide free repair to covered televisions that exhibit this specific condition.

All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its Authorized Servicer Network, will repair your set within 30 days of your initial contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if your set is not repaired within 30 days, please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669.
Claudio

Founder
Agoraquest
claudio
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Budweisercs » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:14 am

Hope and a prayer.  I bought my KF42WE610 in Oct 2003, have been very pleased with it, about 3 months after replacing my 2nd lamp in June I got the dreaded road map in the lower left of the screen, of course 1 month after Sony cutoff extended warranty.  I did notice the lamp housing was deformed, and the door had big droop in it...so just maybe, after reading this thread I may be back in luck.  Will call the repair number and hope for the best.
Budweisercs
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by bnewman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:27 pm

KrisE:

Could you send me an email (so that I can reply with some questions)? I paid for a premium membership but can't seem to send emails to anyone. Anyway, I bought the same tv a month after you, replaced the bulb 13 months ago and now am experiencing the same problem as you, i.e. no picture, five blinks and warped bulb door. I have a few questions as to the process you went through to get a replacement tv.  Thanks.

Bill
bnewman
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Television Troubleshooting