[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - KDL32D3000E Gradient Problem

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:01 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - KDL32D3000E Gradient Problem

KDL32D3000E Gradient Problem

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by Ryunam » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:48 am

My kindest greetings to everyone.

I'm the proud owner of a Sony KDL32D3000E set and I must say I'm absolutely delighted and satisfied by the quality of this product, both with SD and HD material. The visuals are absolutely astounding and videogaming is also an authentic bliss on it.

There's only a minor gripe I've registered, which I hope can be fixed through some Service Menu tweaks.

There is an evident problem with dithering in blue gradients: it becomes particularly eclatant if you set a blue background on the Main XMB Menu of the PS3.

The color progression of the blue gradient isn't smooth at all; instead, it shows a fairly copious amount of banding, resulting is rows of colors which detract from the crispness of the image. I'm attaching some pictures I took, for actual reference of this effect:

http://i34.tinypic.com/b7c6y9.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/a16etw.jpg
http://i35.tinypic.com/t8w5yq.jpg
http://i36.tinypic.com/rlbz9g.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/ipyyjo.jpg

I hope it can be fixed or reduced somehow. I would be immensely grateful if you could give some help on the matter, as it is the only flaw I'm currently registering on this fabulous product.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Ryunam
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Ryunam » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:42 am

I forgot to add that this problem isn't specifically inherent to just one connection.

I have my PS3 connected to AV4 (HDMI), but both the PC connected through HDMI (1360x768) and the Wii also show those same, slight artifacts in gradients, especially with tones similar to electric blue.

By the way, the 5th picture above clearly shows the problem on the blue gradient of the loading screen in Windows XP.

Ryunam
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:10 am

jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jehill » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:15 am

How do you know that what is illustrated isn't in the video source?  If there is an option to turn on x.v.Color™ for each source, turn it on and see if it makes a difference.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Ryunam » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Well, I don't think the source itself included those artifacts at all.
I'm pretty positive it has to do with the video processing that this TV set elaborates. I have tested other panels, with the same sources (PS3/Windows) and the same images - and they definitely don't show the banding effect that this one sports on blue gradients.

Besides, I'm absolutely certain that the gradient on the Windows XP loading screen is supposed to be more natural and smoother than that.

What I'm wondering is if this nasty (and quite annoyingly evident) incongruency can be attenuated or even fixed completely by applying some tweaks in the Service Menu. Maybe an opportune change to some colour values can limit this strange kind of posterization, but since I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these matters, I would be very grateful if someone could at least confirm or deny this theory...

Ryunam
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jehill » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:58 pm

I am sure that there are adjustments that may be made in the service menu to reduce the effects; however, I have no ideal what they are.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Ryunam » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Well... thank you anyway, jehill.
This assurance at least brings some relief. ^^

Does someone else have any suggestion on the matter?

Any help, even tips about possibly useful options in the service menu, would be greatly appreciated...

Ryunam
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Ryunam » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:36 am

I've done some extensive testing and it appears that this problem becomes particularly evident on panning scenes, too.
As previously documented, it mostly affects blue color gradients and it occurs on every source I tried (PC, PS3, Wii...)

I suspect that the flaw is inherent to the 10-bit processing that this panel is supposed to elaborate. It's like that specific aspect is not working as it should.
The color depth (which, according to the features, should be much smoother) suffers from eclatant effects of banding and posterization, especially on blues and colors that derive from it.

If anyone can provide directions or tips of any sort, perhaps for a fix in the Service Menu, I would be truly grateful.
Once again, thanks in advance for any help.
Ryunam
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Return to Television Troubleshooting