[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Red Lines, Red Flash - Power off

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:03 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Red Lines, Red Flash - Power off

Red Lines, Red Flash - Power off

This Forum is questions on any problems you could have with your Sony Televsion set (i.e. Sony Wega grainess problem, cable problems, so forth)

Moderator: jttar

by Pianoman1976 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Hello friends,

I recently purchased a pre-owned Sony WEGA KV-32HS510. When I got it home and hooked it up it worked great. Now, 10 day later...not so good.

Here's what's happening. It will go from working perfectly, then it will shift into a mode where everything looks flushed red - especially black areas. In addition there are faint polarized horizontal red lines in pairs of two up and down the entire screen. On each side this series of red lines seems to bow inward to create a concave like pattern. At worst, the condition worsens, the entire screen flashes red once very briefly, then the entire set powers off.

I purchased this TV on ebay from a local TV repair shop (the sign on the door said authorized Sony repair). I'm not sure that I trust an "authorized Sony repair" shop that sells me a TV that goes silly after just 10 days. I will take it back, and I'm sure they will fix it...first I wanted to get another professional opinion as to what exactly is broken and what needs to be done to fix it. Would this normally be an expensive repair? Is there potential here for a dishonest individual to mickey mouse a quick fix?

Any information any of you have that would educate me would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan
Pianoman1976
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Pianoman1976 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:31 am

UPDATE:

I'm getting 5 blinks from the red light.

For 3 days now the tv has been working better...it hasn't flashed red and shut off, but it I'm still seeing a series of faint horizontal red lines up and down the entire screen, which bow inward on the sides. The red lines look worse against black.

In HD mode, the image looks flushed darkish yellow, like an old photograph - sepia.

I would really appreciate some advice as soon as possible, I don't have very long before my time window expires.

Thank you,

Ryan
Pianoman1976
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:34 pm

Welcome to Agoraquest!  For the KV-32HS510, five blinks means, "White Balance Failure (not balanced)".  The probable cause locations listed are as follows:

1.  Video OUT (IC9001-IC9003) is faulty (CX board)
2.  CRT drive (IC2801) is faulty (B board).
3.  G2 is improperly adjusted.

These are starting points for qualified service technicians.  I would be suspicious of IC9001, the red video output IC, since the problems observed are red.  I would definitely take the set back.  My guess is that they will replace the CX board.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Pianoman1976 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Thank you very much Jehill, for taking the time to help me. I unfortuanately was wrong about the number of red blinks! It's 7, not 5. It blinks 5 times when you turn the set on. When the TV fails, after the screen flashes red and shuts itself off, the red led blinks 7 times.

How does this change your view of things?

Oh, and could you give me the pricing on the relevant part(s) that are needing to be replaced?

Thank you. Good Karma coming your way!

Ryan
Pianoman1976
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:03 pm

For the KV-32HS510, seven blinks means, "Horizontal Deflection Stopped".  No probable causes are listed.  Its a serious problem that will take a trained service technician to diagnose.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Return to Television Troubleshooting