[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - "Transports"

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:00 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - "Transports"

"Transports"

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by dahrich » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:08 am

Hello:
I'm confused when I read comments about digital devices such as CD players and the term "transport" is used.  Are all CD players "transports" but all "transports" are not CD players?

Would someone please define "transport"

Thanks in advance.

Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:38 am

Its good to hear from you Richard.

A Player will offer both an Analog and a Digital output whereas a Transport has a Digital output only.

If the Digital output of a Player is used it is considered as being used as a Transport.

BTW- How did the Dynaco pan out for you?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dahrich » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:18 pm

Hello Maxx:
Thank you for the definition.

To be honest I don't hear much difference with or without the Dynaco in the loop.  Neither did my wife.  I sometimes think I am searching for something that is beyond my appreciation.  However, for now I have not given up and find exploring components and changes to my system very rewarding.

Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:43 pm

Finding a low jitter Transport is essential to good results when using S/PDIF Digital seperates.

Did you try using each of the different output transformer taps on the Dynaco to see which ones work better for the speakers that you are using?

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dahrich » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:24 pm

Hello Maxx:
Sorry for the slow response but I have been enjoying my DVP-NC555ES modified by Matthew Anker of SACDmods.com.
For the first time I can say I hear a difference when a Redbook CD is played on the modified player as compared to my standard Sony 200 disc CD player.  I don't have the "music vocabulary" to adequately describe the difference but the sound is difinitely fuller and richer.  I'm very glad I had the player modified.

I have only one SACD so how it compares to a Redbook CD played on the modified player still needs to be more fully explored.

I have to say that changing the taps on the Dynaco didn't produce this kind of difference.

Regards,
Richard

dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:56 am

Richard- Having a great Digital front end like the Modified NS555ES is a ver valuble tool to have in evaluating the performace of the downstream components.

There are many different possible complications when running a Tube Power Amp like the Dynaco. What type of surface is it sitting on and have you tried using anything besides the stock feet? I say this because Tube equipment is much more sensitive to vibration than Solid State equipment is and as a result their sound can easily be compromised.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dahrich » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:37 pm

Hi Maxx:
I will try mounting on some extra rubber feet I have to see if it makes a difference.

However, what I'm experiencing is very subtle differences in sound.  I have been playing the CD on both the 555Es and then my 200 disc player and listening for differences.  If I focus on a particular section of a CD I believe I can detect differences which are better but again they are very subtle.

In some ways I believe I may be at the point of diminishing returns.  This is not to say I have given up but only that the chase gets more inviting as I try different things.

Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:15 am

Richard- First let me say that I auditioned all of the equipment and carefully chose each of the Digital and Analog wires in my Digital front end while using my Sony DB930. Even the most subtle changes in sound quality were clearly decernable with this $600 Sony Receiver and I would expect at least an equal amount of fidelity from your DA2ES.

Having started with the sound from the stock Analog outputs of my Sony CX 300 I am all too familiar with the muddy and veiled sound that a Megachanger has.

I would expect that there should be a much larger difference in sound quality between your Megachanger and the Modified NS555ES.

There are two things that might be preventing the Modified NS555ES from giving its best performance. What Analog interconnects are you currently using with the NS555ES and where are they being input to the DA2ES?

The benefits of having the higher resolution output from a player like your Modified NS555ES can easily be comprmised. The right pair of interconnects can bring out the best that your player has to offer. They don't have to be expensive either they just have to be the best at doing the job of interfacing the Modified NS555ES to the DA2ES.

I auditioned over a dozed different pairs of interconnects to find just the right ones. I even had to turn down a pair of Platinum WBT terminated Cryo-Silver Analog interconnects that Dan Wright loaned me with the highest recommendation because they just didn't sound as good in my Audio system as the pair I had picked using the DB930 did.

Just one pair of interconnects can change the sound of the entire system for better or for worse. I have yet to hear two different pairs that sounded the same. Our task is to choose the ones that take us closer to our sonic goal.

I also discovered that it is important to avoid A/D-D/A conversion in the preamp of a Sony Receiver. This is accomplished by either using the Analog bypass (if available) or the Multichannel inputs of the Receiver.

This makes a subtle difference, but a differece none the less. And when you're running a finley tuned Modified Digital front end like the NS555ES preserving each and every subtle difference counts!

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:08 pm

Richard- I think that the greatest influence on hearing the difference between my Megachanger and my Modified Digital seperates is the program material I use.

If I play Pop or Rock Music there is only the slightest discernable difference between the two.

If I play some well recorded Acoustic Guitar Music then the difference becomes easily discernable because the natural harmonic structure generated by the Guitar is so well represented in such a lifelike manner by the more capable Modified equipment.

Now, if for example I put on Vivaldi's Four Seasons or Haydn's Opus #54 for String Quartet the rendering of the more capable Modified Digital seperates sounds like a completely different and much better recording of the same material and it seems totally unbelievable that this opulent, palpable and very true to life presentation was coming from the very same disc as the muddled Megachanger version which misses at least 1/2 of the detail and nearly all of the harmonic structure that was originally recorded onto the CD.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by dahrich » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi Maxx:
The interconnects are Monster SACD DVD Interlink 400MKll and I have them connected to the multichannel inputs on the 2ES.  I also have a Toslink digital cable connected.

Today I compared a couple of sections from my Stereophile Test CD #3.  In particular was a piece called a demonstration of rasgueado, a classical guitar technique - you are probably familar with it.

After that I played a Philips Digital Classics CD with Mozart's Concerto in C for flute, harp and orchestra. 

And then I played the movie score from The Hunt for Red October (which I love BTW)

For the Stereophile Cd comparison I made a copy on my PC and put the copy in the Megachanger and the "original" in the 555ES.  In this way I could switch back and forth by just selecting either multichannel on the 555ES or CD in the megachanger.  To be honest at times the megachanger sounded better even though it had the copy.

For the others I switched the CD from one player to the other and listened for differences.  Again not much difference.

I had my wife listen to the guitar solo and her impression was that the megachanger sounded better.

Admittedly I'm not musical and probably have a "tin" ear or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Your thoughts as always are welcome.

Regards,
Richard
dahrich
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to MD/CD/SACD