[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Sony STR-K840P "Protect" why?????????

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:21 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Sony STR-K840P "Protect" why?????????

Sony STR-K840P "Protect" why?????????

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by dasanii19 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:08 am

Hi guys, Im a new member and was curious if anyone could help me out with this problem. I have a Sony receiver (STR-K84OP) and when I have the volume up playing my surr sound with a dvd the receiver goes into "protect" mode when loud parts of the movie come on. Anyone else have this problem? Or anyone know any easy fixes? If you need any more details feel free to ask.
dasanii19
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:25 pm

Welcome to Agoraquest!  You are probably getting the "Protect" message due to excessive current being drawn by the speakers.  What's their impedance and sensitivity?
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by dasanii19 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:51 pm

Im not exactly sure, I can look but they are mounted up on the celing and hard to get to right now. They are the small silver speakers that came in a whole surround sound pakage deal. They sell the same set at walwart, im sure you have seen them around. Anyways your thoughts on that sound like that seems to be the problem but how do I go about fixing it?  They have worked fine for the last 1 1/2 years now all the sudden they are acting up like this. Any info from anyone would help out alot, I have been without my surr sound for a few months now. Thanks..
dasanii19
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jttar » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:18 pm

dasanii9,

Greetings and welcome. Considering that these are the speakers that came with your receiver and that they have worked well at, what I assume, the same volume levels that you are now having trouble with you might want to try a couple of things.

First make sure that your speaker wiring is not a problem with stray strands touching each other or the back of the receiver.

It is also possible that one of your speakers are the culprit. Try disconnecting them one at a time from the receiver and play the receiver at the volume level that is causing the protect error to see if you can isolate if one of the speakers is blown or has a wiring problem. Best of luck.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dasanii19 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:40 pm

OK I will try that tomorrow, that seems like a good idea to single out the problem, I hope it isnt something eternal. I will get back to you on this tomorrow and maybe you can help me out more. Thanks again for the reply. If I remember correctly it seems like it went into protect mode faster when I had the sub turned up., but that isnt ran on a regular speaker wire, I cant remember what type of wire it is. but it was a speacial wire I bought at good guys, im sure you know what its called. I will check all wiring and make sure it isnt touching each other and what not and post back on here with results....
dasanii19
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jttar » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:45 pm

dasanii19,

Do treat the sub as one of the speakers and try eliminating it from the system to see if there in lies the problem.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by dasanii19 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:43 pm

I just got done singling out each speaker,all of them cleared except the rear right. That one went straight into protect as soon as I started turing the vloume up. I tested the actual channel the rear right was on with a different speaker to make sure that the actual channel wasnt blown and it isnt the channel, its definitly the rear right speaker/wiring. That rear right speaker is wired under the house so im guessing a mouse or something might haved chewed through the wire? Im going to re wire it today. Im so releaved it isnt my tuner. Thanks man for the great advice. and I will let you know when its all back and running..

Thanks again..

dasanii19
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:59 pm

Thanks for the troubleshooting tip, jttar!  That's something that never occured to me.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by jttar » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:42 pm

Glad to have been of any help.  John, as you well know it is always a satisfying feeling to know that your suggestion has helped someone.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Maxxwire » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:39 pm

I have the feeling that Joe may have learned this valuable troubleshooting technique from practical experience.

~Maxx~

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables