[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - TAN 9000ES/DA5ES/Panamax/UPS

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:50 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - TAN 9000ES/DA5ES/Panamax/UPS

TAN 9000ES/DA5ES/Panamax/UPS

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by SPCOOLIN » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:15 am

Hey All,

Just got the estimate of repairs on my TAN 9000ES @ $145 bucks.

When I asked what was the likely cause of bad output transistors, and power pack the answer was power surge, or lighting.

I have told them to go ahead with the repair, but also mentioned this was the second failure of the same type and wondered if I might be doing something wrong (last repair was like $300 at a different shop)
I normally run the 9000 in BTL mode biamping my BP30 Def Techs
And also mentioned the 4/8 ohm switch on the back, as the BP30s are rated @ 6ohm nominal with dips to 4ohm according to Chet at Def Tech.
The service center (Sony "platinum" rated) says I should be fine with my configuration however, I am a little sketchy on the position of the switch on the back of the 9000, where it should be, where it was, and would like to be sure upon it's return that I don't cause it to fail again.

Second Question,

The first time the 9000 failed, it was plugged into my APC XS1000 UPS that I bought for the HT and so upon it's return the first time I did not plug it back into the UPS, and during the season that we here in St. Pete have almost no thunderstorms, lightning, heating/cooling loads or frequent surges as we have in the summer, it failed again within a couple of weeks!

I have ordered a Panamax 5100, and in my shopping around yesterday for the Panamax, I noticed that Monster is marketing a UPS battery backup for HT, and I remember reading here that most don't subscribe to the idea of UPS for home theatre however, I would like to continue using my UPS in conjunction with the Panamax.

Any thoughts, or advise on how to implement this IE: UPS or Panamax first in the chain, or 9000/DA5 just on Panamax.....etc ?

I do like the UPS for the STB & Tivo so that you don't have to wait for a re-boot after power outages, and having it on the receiver/amp/tv is nice because in the summer here the power outages can happen every day multiple times as we are supposed to be the lightning capital of the world

Thanks,
Steve. 
SPCOOLIN
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:23 am

Living in the lightning capitol of the world you did the right thing by buying the Panamax 5100.

Which UPS are you using?

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by SPCOOLIN » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:38 am

Maxx,

The battery backup I'm using is a "APC Back-UPS XS 1000" with 1000va rating (600 watts) with voltage compensation, and surge protection.

The PDF manual and specs can be found: http://sturgeon.apcc.com/techref.nsf/partnum/990-1162/$FILE/990-1162-EN.pdf 
SPCOOLIN
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by jehill » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:47 pm

SPCOOLIN-
Hear are my thoughts:

1) What do you mean by, "I normally run the 9000 in BTL mode"?  What is the BTL mode?
2) Are you biamping using two 9000 channels or a 9000 channel and a channel from something else?
3) Be conservative and place the 4/8 switch in the 4 ohm position.
4) UPS first and Panamax second.  That way, any noise generated by the UPS should be blocked by the Panamax.
5) The 9000 is rated at 600 watts.  If you must run it off the UPS, I would at least double the rating from 600 watts to 1200 watts.  The 9000 can really suck up the power during peaks.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by DocVijay » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:55 pm

The UPS or the Panamax first...

Well, are you wnating to power the entire system during power failures? That's probably a bit much. If I were you, I would run the Panamax first and then use the UPS for any components that may be damaged by a power loss.

For the plasma I'm getting for our bedroom, I'm going to get a UPS so that in case of power loss the fans can keep running to prevent overheating. I've considered it for my DLP as well, but I don't think it's as critical.

BTW, good choice in your UPS, I've got the same one for my PC.

Oh, and by the way, we ARE the lightning capital of the world!

DocVijay
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by SPCOOLIN » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:57 pm

Thanks for the replys Guys,

John- Remember this is the TA-N 9000 ES power amp, not the receiver, so I am bridgeing the output of the 9000 and sending 200 watts to the lower end of my BP30s then I run the highs off the receiver.
The odd thing about the failures is it never has gone into standby when in operation, it only fails to start up after being off overnight.

Doc-Hello neighbor, When I was using the amp with my former DA3 (Haven't tried it with the DA5 yet) the UPS overload light would only come on at insane volume (like 110 db) and I never listen that loud anyway, who could for long ?

But you guys are right, it is a little overloaded, when I first started this thread I did not have the 600 watt figure untill I found the PDF manual, and I guess what I will do when the Panamax arrives is run power to it first, so that I can run the amp thru one of it's high power outlets, then maybe run the receiver off the UPS (or not) maybe it should go to the other high power outlet on the Panamax, and just run everything else off the UPS?

Steve.

Sony DA5 ES Sony TAN 9000 ES (In for Repair "Standby problem") Sony CX985 400 Disc DVD/CD Definitive BP30 Mains Definitive CLR 3000 Center Definitive BP 1.2X Surrounds Definitive CLR 2000 Rear Center w/SA WM20 8"Sub SVS 20-39 PCI Sony KV-36FS17 3

SPCOOLIN
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by Maxxwire » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:50 pm

I think that you are doing the right thing by running the UPS which has a 4 amp draw limit off of the Panamax and using the Panamax to power your Receiver and Power Amp.

I have 3 different line conditioners running off of my Panamax and other equipment plugged directly into it and it works quite well that way.

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by bizzibee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:22 pm

I know you guys would already have access to a copy of the Service manual for the TA-N9000ES. However I thought I'd post a link to it just in case:

home.online.no/~espen-b/ta-e9000es/manuals/TA-N9000ES_serv.pdf

The above PDF is 3.41 MB

Taken from:

home.online.no/~espen-b/ta-e9000es/

Anyway the only generic fault I've heard of with the TA-N9000ES is the flashing standby light fault. Detailed here:

p081.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumsonytae9000esinformationforum.showMessage?topicID=1971.topic

I would have thought a surge would have taken out other equipment as well like your DA5 ES Sony ?

Mark

bizzibee
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by SPCOOLIN » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:01 pm

Mark,

Thanks for the links, but as you already guessed, I have downloaded the service manual for the 9000, and actually have read that thread in that forum.

I also opened up the 9000 and checked those resistors, and that was not the problem.

I went over the circut boards etc. from top to bottom with a magnifiying glass service light (went out and bought one) looking for cold solder joints, or any signs of the previous repair, and saw no signs of either.

That being said, I'm kinda thinking, I might have been ripped off on the first repair ..Thus the reason I did not return the unit to the same repair shop.

My unit does however show the exzact same symtoms as the ones in the thread you posted the link to.

I now have enough money into this TAN 9000 to almost have bought one new, Hopefully.... I will get some service out of it now, and when it worked.... it sounded great...However, I think if it fails again, it will probably end up being a boat anchor in Tampa Bay....It sure weighs enough   

Sony DA5 ES Sony TAN 9000 ES (In for Repair "Standby problem") Sony CX985 400 Disc DVD/CD Definitive BP30 Mains Definitive CLR 3000 Center Definitive BP 1.2X Surrounds Definitive CLR 2000 Rear Center w/SA WM20 8"Sub SVS 20-39 PCI Sony KV-36FS17 3

SPCOOLIN
Sony Fanatic
Sony Fanatic

by bizzibee » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:04 pm

Fair enough Steve. I just thought it was a bit funny how only your TA-N9000ES was affected by a "surge" and not your DA5ES, with both being on the same UPS & Panamax.

Anyway I hope the repairs are done well, and the TA-N9000ES has a very long life before becoming a boat anchor. You should have a heart to heart with it and explain it's fate if it doesn't be good.

Mark
bizzibee
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables