[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Will better cables help?

Advanced search
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:44 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Will better cables help?

Will better cables help?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by cokester » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:25 pm

Ok, so I hooked up my new KDE42XS955 to Motorola DVR, using component cables provided by cable company.

Now -- on DVR I can choose resolution. When I go with 480i, picture is clear and sharp as it can be, it looks awesome.  However, when I change resolution to 1080i -- picture becomes slightly like blurred, not 100% sharp.

Any thoughts, does that sounds like something better cables could help?  Or maybe some other suggestion?

Thanks!
cokester
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by jehill » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:55 pm

Its possible that there is a problem with the DVR, but I would definitely replace the cables that came with the DVR if they aren't full size (about 1/4" in diameter for each of the three).  The picture should be perfect at 1080i with component cables.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by Navmaster » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:33 pm

It depends...

Is your TV monitor capable of that resolution?  If it is not an HD TV then it will look blurry at HD resolution.

Navmaster
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:47 pm

I don't think that better cables are the solution to this problem.

Its probably either the upscaler in the DVR that is malfunctioning or a lack of resolution in the monitor as Scott pointed out.

__Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by ddcdevelopment » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:22 am

d:  All of the above

Yes, you should buy a better component cable, but only after you've checked the DVR upscaling and the tv resolution.

I did a search to find about your tv.  I'm gald I did.  For any posters that haven't, its a Sony WEGA Plasma HDTV.  Can't get much better than that.

Cokester, get out your tv manual and read through it.  I read the write-up at Crutchfield and I noticed a lot of neat features that are only available when your tv is receivng a 480i signal.  In a nutshell, it looks like your WEGA tv does a lot to the incoming picture, but only when its getting the 480i signal.

I bet you're picture does look awesome at that setting.

Now, go buy a quality component cable.  Component video signal is the next best thing to perfect aside from a digital signal from HMDI/ DVI.  As such its a very accurate signal.  You don't want a cheap cable messing with your accurate signal.

You dropped some bucks on that Sony WEGA.  Don't scrimp on a generic component cable.  I got my KnuKoncepts cable for about $50. 

-Dan
ddcdevelopment
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by cokester » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:53 am

First of all, I greatly appreciate all of your replies. I have to admit, I would be totally lost without this forum...

I played with cables last night.  I picked up HDMI to DVI cable from Radio Shack, and result was -- disaster. My picture was blinking, staying on for 1, 2 seconds, then disappearing, reappearing and so forth. Needless to say, I removed the cable after 5 minutes of fooling around.

As soon as that (sad) episode was over, I went online and purchased PR191 from Acoustic Research. From what I read, it suppose to be quality component cable (and I got pretty sweet deal on it).

However, I did post the same question on a different forum, and the reply was:

"That plasma is a fixed pixel screen and would be better to set the STB to 720p. Your plasma display can accept 1080i input, but it must be converted by the TV to its native resolution, which is 720p. It is incapable of displaying the 1080i signal without altering it.

Your TV's resolution is fixed or permanently set if you will, to 1280 x 720 pixels. That is the maximum capability of the set, and all input will be displayed as such. By feeding your TV its native res of 720p, the TV does not have to perform a conversion which can affect picture quality. Your STB (set top box) should allow you to output the signal at 720p."

Can anyone concur with that explanation? 
Does that actually means that my plasma kind of -- suck? 

cokester
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Maggiefan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:13 am

That does sound right, a plasma is a fixed pixel display. It has to convert everything to it's native display which is 720p. Set the cable box to that output.
Maggiefan
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by DocVijay » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:49 am

No, your plasme does not suck. Most TV's are of a fixed resolution design. LCDs, plasmas, DLPs, and LCoS are all fixed pixel TV's.

A plasma has a set number of "cells" of gas. These cells, when stimulated by electriacl current, glow and give you the picture. In you case, they are in a 1280x720 array. THis does not mean your display is substandard in any way. THere are multiple HD formats, and you can't build one TV that shows all at a native resolution. My SAmsung DLP is also 1280x720.

When yo input a signal to the TV that is not 720p (1280x720), the TV has to convert it so that the signal fits the pixel layout. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Is there any signal degredation, probably. But that's how it goes.

THe best option is to set your component (DVR, cable box, sat tuner, DVD, etc) to output at the native resoution. In your case it's 720p. IF you cannot adjust the outpout, don't worry, the TV will convert it, albeit likely with a less then stellar image.
DocVijay
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by jehill » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:56 am

On 2005-07-20 11:53, cokester wrote:
I picked up HDMI to DVI cable from Radio Shack, and result was -- disaster. My picture was blinking, staying on for 1, 2 seconds, then disappearing, reappearing and so forth.

I suspect that the problem here is that your purchased the wrong cable.  You need a DVI-D to HDMI cable.  A DVI-I cable won't work.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by boulderskies » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:22 am

Cokester,

I'm with Jehill on this one.

First, the post from ddcdevelopment, docVJ and the post from another forum are in error. Your set's native resolution is 1024. According to Crutchfield's site:  "In fact, the plasma panel's 1024 x 1024-pixel resolution is optimized for 1080i programs." See:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-otz6HJPMzDj/cgi-bin/Prodview.asp?readmore=true&g=146350&id=essential_info&i=15842XS955#Tab

Change out your cables per jehill's suggestion.

-boulderskies 
boulderskies
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables