[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Need advice about protection plan - 55xs955

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:00 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Need advice about protection plan - 55xs955

Need advice about protection plan - 55xs955

This Forum is for any other questions you might have and for discussions on the latest Sony television news.

Moderator: jttar

by damaravi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:03 am

Hi to all the Gurus out there ....

I recently bought Sony KDF55XS955 from circuitcity.com for 3099.99 plus tax. It was $600 off. But the salesperson basically scared me into buying the $599.99 protection for 4 years saying that the parts are "very costly", that the sony limited warranty wont cover lcd projection lamp blah blah .. Our TV viewing habits - mostly an hour or so every day, occasional DVD movies etc .. Do you think its worthwhile to have that bundle of the protection plan?

Also, I am seeing that the cost of the TV is as low as $2799.99 from some online stores .. Do u think its something I can haggle with circuitcity ?

Appreciate your valuable advice ...
damaravi
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:27 pm

damaravi,

Greetings and welcome. As far as the extended warranty goes, it's like all insurance. You are betting $600 that within the next four years something worth $600 or more is going to go wrong with your TV while Circuit City is betting that is doesn't and that they will make money on the policy. Chances are is that you won't need it but they are correct is stating that repairs/parts can be expensive. Like I said, it's a gamble. If you can afford it, for $600 you have piece of mind that your covered for the next four years and if you break it down your talking roughly about .40 a day. Another possibility would be to send in your registration card to Sony and they will offer you an extended warranty when your runs out.

You can try haggling prices but it has been my experience that Circuit City will only match or beat prices from brick and motar stores and not online deals.

BTW, congrats on your new KDF55XS955, it's a great TV.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Toli » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:16 pm

damaravi- As jttar was refering to, stores make alot of money selling extended warranties. It certainly paid off in my case though.
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by damaravi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:32 am

jttar and Toli,

Thank you both for your advice!

Vinod
damaravi
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by damaravi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:32 am

jttar and Toli,

Thank you both for your advice!

Vinod
damaravi
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by jttar » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:40 pm

damaravi,

You are entirely welcome, twice.

Joe
jttar
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by Toli » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:47 pm

Ditto!
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by bizwiz » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:09 pm

Damaravi,

Keep in mind, that they wouldn't sell extended warranties if they didn't make money on them. I never go with them and it doesn't cover the bulb anyway, it would just cover a guy coming out to replace the bulb, you'd still be responsible for the $200 bulb. I just got almost the same TV, but it's the KDF-60XS955. I passed on the warranty. Also, I'v found that Good Guys haggle whereas no one else does. I took and ad from a website down there that had the same tv for $2999. They would match it but they did take $450 off and I got it for $3449. Plus I bought it with my Sony visa and with that purchase and my existing points they credited my Visa card and additional $400, so it was quite a deal for me!

-Biz
bizwiz
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by thefaulkner » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:26 pm

I would be the first person to recommend an extended warranty to anyone for anything... but... For a grand Wega, I would not. If the optical block (lcd panels and stuff) is going to fail, it will fail right away, within the first year. The only other things that may "go" on you would be the lamp (not covered by any extended warranty), or the tuner (which would be relatively cheap to change.)

For the $600 (or whatever) I would recommend NOT buying an extended warranty on a Grand Wega.
thefaulkner
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by dartmouth » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:47 am

Circuit City's price is about right.  And the online price you saw is right also. Forget trying to get them to match it - they won't. Even their price match says it only applies to local retailers. As far as warranty: USE YOUR AMERICAN EXPRESS CARD! Their Buyers Assurance extends the mgf warranty by 1 year. So you get 1 from Sony and 1 from AmEX. PS I bought my Sony60xs955 in Brooklyn, NY online $3145 +$195 shipping. Total $3340. with 2 years warranty.
dartmouth
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Television Misc and News