[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - KDF-42WE655

Advanced search
It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:39 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - KDF-42WE655

KDF-42WE655

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony television settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your picture, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals.

Moderator: jttar

by imroot » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:36 pm

Hello,

I was hoping that someone might have a good configuration for the KDF-42WE655. I just bought mine and I am seeing some color bleeding on Digital channels as well as what looks like shadows on objects with contrasting colors. I also see this while watching DVD. I am using the cheap component cables that came with my DVD player and I will be swapping those out in the next few days.

Cheers
imroot
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Toli » Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:11 am

imroot- Welcome to Agoraquest. Try calibrating your TV with a calibration DVD such as AVIA, Digital Video Essentials or Sound and Visions Home Theater Tune Up.
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by imroot » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:18 pm

I have the callibration DVD and I have used it. I ended up with about the same settings that I have before I spent all of the money on the disk and I still see very bright outlines on dark objects with a white background. The PIXAR logo that is black text on a white background has a very bright, defined outline around the letters. Don't get me wrong, this doesn't happen with text only but all dark objects on a light colored background. It is somewhat annoying. I am thinking about calling Sony about it.

other than that the colors seem nice but if you have a movie scene with a white sky and 20 dark soccer players, it looks a mess.

Any thoughts on this?
imroot
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Toli » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:06 am

imroot- After calibration where on the scale is your sharpness set at, about what percent? Wherever it is, set it all the way to the left until it shuts OFF. If it wasn't all the way to the left, let us know if this helped.
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by imroot » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:46 pm

Thanks for the reply Toli.

I have turned the sharpness down to 0 but it makes the picture blurry. I like sharp, detailed pictures. Something that I would expect from a 2k + television and 50 dollar component cables.

I have not seen on the VIDEO ESSENTIALS disk where it would explain the VIVID, Nuetral/Normal, or PRO settings on my TV either. When I callibrate my TV, which one of these settings should I use? These presets seem to alter settings that I cannot get to through the normal menus. The PRO preset makes the picture so blurry with sharpness set to 0 that it is unwatchable. When I use the VIVID preset and turn down the sharpness to 0, I lose most detail but not nearly as much as the PRO preset.

If I use one of the test patterns for sharpness and I turn the sharpness to 0, the pattern is extremely blurry using all presets.
imroot
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Toli » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:19 am

imroot- Have you got your new component cables yet? If not may I recommend the ones that I use, the Monster M Silver Video M1000cv component video cable, just click here to check them out. By increasing the SHARPNESS you are adding artificial detail and noise to the picture, that wasn't there in the first place. You shouldn't need this setting turned up using component cables, you will probably notice a difference with better quality cables. Please report back once you have replaced your component cables and let us know how your picture looks. When I calibrated my TV I used the STANDARD setting (probably the same as NORMAL) and was quite happy with the results.
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by rwalk » Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:31 pm

Ok, here is what I have.
I am not a video professional.
Frankly, I haven't used my DVE calibration dvd as I still need to figure out my DVD Player/Recorder situation.

This is what looks good to me, a novice.
Subject to change, of course!

Video settings

Mode: Standard
Picture: 30
Brightness: 27
Color: 17
Hue: G4 (Out of box VERY Red.)
Sharpness: 5
Color Temp: Neutral
Noise reduction: High
Mild: Off

I receive OTA HD from attic antenna.
Unfortunately, our TV room is full of windows and is very bright. I hope this post is helpful.
I intend to spend more time configuring after Christmas. Please post your numbers, won't you?
Happy Holidays to all!
rwalk
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by Toli » Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:59 pm

imroot- That was nice of rwalk to post his TV's settings for you. There is a chance that his settings will look good on your TV, but even with the same exact model, settings will very from TV to TV and sometimes more than others.

rwalk- Is your TV room in a lower level of the house, like a basement level? Mine happens to be and what I did was to line the windows with a window tint film. The Wife had a fit at first but now likes the film, it actually provided good results.
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by imroot » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:22 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the settings Rwalk and the advice Toli. I did buy new cables the 3rd day after buying my TV. I had a set that came with my DVD player and they were the cheapest you can get. The new cables that I bought from Radio Shack are good quality gold cables but they didn't make a noticable difference. I turned down the sharpness considerably and I am used to it now.

My settings are quite a bit different than Rwalks. I used the video essentials DVD and I found it confusing. The settings that I did get out of it are very close to what I had set myself. I do not remember the settings exactly but..

I use the normal setting
Picture- slightly higher than default
brightness - slightly lower than default
color- slightly lower than default
Sharpness - 4
I tend to leave the hue at default but some DVD's do have very bright reds and in that case, I use G3.

The DRC pallette and the smoothing confuse me in the advanced menu but I am about over the tweaking phase of my new toy and now I just sit back and enjoy.

I think that I made the right choice with this TV. I have gone back to the store and looked again and I am certain that I made the right choice. I have not experienced HD on it yet. Perhaps one day I can. There are no HD broadcasts here in Hawaii and I pay 10 bucks a month for cable. To get HD I would be paying over 50 bucks a month and I rarely watch TV any way. The HD tuner was just a bonus with this TV. I would have bought the same TV even if it didn't have the HD tuner.

It looks like the HD DVD players may be practical in about 5 years. I hear there will be 2 formats and the players will cost around 1K. Until they can sort out a standard and the players get down to a reasonable price, I will not participate.
imroot
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

Return to Television Configuration