[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - DVD-Audio

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:11 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - DVD-Audio

DVD-Audio

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony MD/CD/SACD.

Moderator: jttar

by baseballgod » Thu May 06, 2004 12:38 pm

Unfortunately, finding DVD-Audios out there that interest me is a tough task.  The limited availability of the format is sure a headache especially after investing in a player that could take advantage of my downstream components high resolution. I however have found a DVD-A that really shows off the sometimes stunning sound quality of the format. This disc (actually a 2-disc set) it Led Zeppelins "How The West Was Won".  For those of you who are Zeppelin fans and tired of poorly remastered discs, it's a revelation in sonic quality. If you have a DVD-A player this disc should be on your short list of discs to check out!
baseballgod
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by GaToy » Mon May 17, 2004 5:12 pm

You're kinda brave using the "A" word on a Sony web site. I for one am very dissapointed in the selection of both DVD-A and SACD. Why won't they come out with any music to support these formats? I can find a few DVD-A disks that interest me, but SACD is a joke. All I have to say is I think they are making the same mistake with these formats as they did with Mini Disk. The Mini Disk died because of lack of software and availability. If industry doesn't do anything to promote these formats better then they too will be dust in the wind.

~C.C.~
GaToy
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by baseballgod » Mon May 17, 2004 5:29 pm

I wasn't aware using the "DVD-A" word was so taboo around here.  Hopefully they let me stay....hehe! Considering SACD is crushing DVD-A though, my little post won't stir up too much. Plus i am enjoying the Hi-Rez sound through a good old SONY receiver. You're completly right though, these formats need more support. The players are inexpensive enough now. E.G. Pioneer DVD-A/SACD player model 563a, 135 bucks, or if genuine Sony quality is a concern (and it does outperform the Pio) the Sony DVP-685 5 disc DVD/SACD changer is about 250 bucks. If you're a DVD-Audio only type of person, a Toshiba SD-4900 will set you back a measly 90 bucks. Now as far as the music titles, they need to encode one side of a disc in CD and the other in SACD or DVD-A...thats all. I'd gladly pay a couple bucks more myself!
baseballgod
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Mon May 17, 2004 11:10 pm

A friend of mine had a $1,200 Technics A-10 DVD-A player hooked up to his Haffler preamp and NAD power amp and while it did have some frequency extension I didn't hear a night and day difference with some well recorded CD's he had. Maybe like you are saying its a question of having high quality software available.

_Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by rkkwan » Mon May 17, 2004 11:13 pm

The number of SACDs I have do grow slowly, but steadily. I think I have about 70-80 now. Number of DVD-As is stuck at 11. Haven't bought any since Christmas.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Tiny_Turtle » Tue May 18, 2004 2:01 am

GaToy,

The number of DVD-A titles (or "software" as you might call it) released is pretty small compared to the SACD catalog. Why is it a joke?

This Sony oriented forum has nothing against DVD-A, but since Sony doesn't make any DVD-A players there naturally isn't too much to talk about.

Please explain more why MiniDisc died. With software, I'm assuming you mean pre-recorded music. Well MD was launced as a replacement for compact cassettes, not CDs. Are you hoping for prerecorded MP3 players too? As for the format being dead, – the U.S. isn't the same thing as the world and even focusing on the U.S., the format isn't dead, although not globally dominant either.

BBG,
The SACD format allows for hybrid discs, – one layer as regular redbook CD and one SACD layer. There's no need for flippers there. The DVD-A format does not so however

/TinyDisc
Tiny_Turtle
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by rkkwan » Tue May 18, 2004 6:33 am

MD is alive and well, especially outside N. America.

There are actually flipper DVD-A/CD discs out there. Some discs released in Germany are like that; and there are the "Dual Discs" that were tested in two markets in the US earlier this year - Seattle and Boston. No idea what came of that, of if they will be made and released nationwide (or worldwide).
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by rkkwan » Tue May 18, 2004 6:50 am

http://highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11109165

Data released 3 weeks ago by RIAA showed that even though DVD-A lead by awareness in the US, SACD outsells them 3-1. That's not surprising. What's striking is the really slow growth of DVD-A sales from 2001-2003. I guess I'm not alone to have a DVD-A player but find no disc to buy.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by GaToy » Tue May 18, 2004 12:44 pm

On 2004-05-18 06:01, Tiny_Turtle wrote:

Why is it a joke?

Well this one is pretty simple. SACD is a joke because i'm 30 years old. I want to listen to music from my erra, not that i'm knocking classical or blues, it just not my thing. There are plenty of contemporary, R & B, and soft rock groups that I would love to have on SACD or DVD-A. But except for Santanna, Nohra Jones, Shania Twain and a handfull of others, there really isn't much to choose from. At least not in my part of the states. The only place around here that even sell SACD's is BestBuy. Anywhere else you go either doesn't know what i'm talking about or has to order them.

This Sony oriented forum has nothing against DVD-A, but since Sony doesn't make any DVD-A players there naturally isn't too much to talk about.

I have to correct you here too. DVD-A is a rival format for Sony. Sony helped to create SACD. Why do you think Sony won't even mention creating a DVD-A player.

Please explain more why MiniDisc died. With software, I'm assuming you mean pre-recorded music. Well MD was launced as a replacement for compact cassettes, not CDs.
BBG,

Once again, let me correct you. When The Mini Disk came out in the early 90's it was created to give you CD quality sound with the protection of a casset. It was also one of the first formats to incorporate Disk text. A friend of mine bought one of these in 91. At that time it was one of the hottest things out. The problem is you couldn't just go out and buy any music for it. It had to be ordered. And three quarters of the music offered was from the eighties(Just wasn't that interested in buying the Top Gun sound tract.). Now wheather Mini Disk completely died is how you look at it. For people wanting a good recording format yeah its still around. Now if you gao into any music store in the U.S. and ask where the Mini Disk section is, it doesn't exist.

/TinyDisc

~Chris~
GaToy
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by baseballgod » Tue May 18, 2004 5:29 pm

Chris, it wasn't I who brought up the MiniDisc, that was TinyTurtle. However, MD is holding its own as a format because Sony saw a window of opportunity with the NETMD concept. If you look at Sony's MD players now, they are all MP3/ATRAC compatiable for those who like to download music on their PC. I realize there are also CD burners and MP3 players, but the MD offers versatility and packaging advantages. Also as someone with only a few posts under you belt, I'd like to remind you that this is a friendly forum, and many diverse topics of conversation are encouraged, although they may be outside the general scope of the forum.
BBG
baseballgod
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Next

Return to MD/CD/SACD