[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - Frustrated with hookups, please help!

Advanced search
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:01 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Frustrated with hookups, please help!

Frustrated with hookups, please help!

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by tomcat_fan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:35 am

Hey there,

I've got an STRDE695 receiver and I'm trying to hook it up. I saw that there is both a Video In and Out for the Video 1 jacks, and was wondering if this is possible;

Can I hook my Sat to the video 1 in, hook the video 1 out to my VCR in, and hook the VCR out to my Video 2 on my receiver? I'm having provlems getting stuff to record onto tape and I'm getting a funny effect on my video  that looks like the tracking's screwy on a VHS tape. I don't know why this won't work but so far it hasn't. I heard that the Video 1 out Jacks carry what is sent in to the Video 1 in jacks. Is this true? I should be able to set this up I thought.

Here's a diagram if this wasn't clear:

tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by tomcat_fan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:45 am

After doing some testing (I hooked the a/Video 1 out on my receiver directly to the video 2 on the front of my TV) it seems that there is no a/video signal coming out of my a/video 1 out jack even though there is video going in to video 1 in and the Video 1 mode on the receiver is selected. There is supposed to be video coming out of the "out" jack, correct??

tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Toli » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:29 am

tomcat_fan- If I understand what you are doing, you want to take a video cable (i.e. )- you'll want S-Video out from the VCR to Video 1 IN and S-Video out from Video 1 OUT to the VCR S-Video IN. Then an S-Video from the receiver's monitor out to the TV.

What exactly is your goal with this setup, I might have a better option for connections?
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by tomcat_fan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:23 pm

My goal is to eliminate coax cable between my sat receiver and my HT receiver and VCR. I don't have S-Video on my VCR, only the yellow RCA for video. I want to be able to run video to my HT receiver, send it to my VCR for recording, and then run the A/V on my VCR through my AUX input so I can watch HiFi recordings that I will be making. I don't have the satellite receiver yet, so I've been using an old VCR as the SAT receiver for testing purposes to see if this is possible.. So I've currently got RCA from the old VCR (soon to be replaced with the SAT receiver) to my receiver through Video 1 In ->RCA from Video 1 Out on the receiver to the Line In on my new VCR, then RCA from my line out to my AUX in on the HT receiver. Just how the diagram I posted shows, red lines = RCA cables. The only difference for now is that instead of a Sat and VCR I've got 2 VCRs in the loop. So instead of a SAT like the diagram shows I have a VCR, the main thing I wanted was a source that had RCA out.

I think that the problem lies in my Video 1 Out on my HT receiver. I ran an RCA cable directly from V1 Out to the RCA jacks on the front of my Wega and got no picture or sound. It would seem to me that the problem is that there is no A/V leaving my HT reciever through the Video 1 Out jacks..

Thanks for your help so far btw!

I have S-Video and Composite between my Monitor Out and My TV since I couldn't get any sources that used RCA only to show on my TV with just the S-Video beween my TV and Receiver. The manual states that Component/S-Video operate on a different bus so you need to connect RCA between the 2 to use RCA sources.

tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by pippsfan3 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:40 pm

Hopefully you guys don't mind me jumping in but I might have a solution to the problem.  Hopefully you can follow me on this one.

When your sat comes it might have two composite outputs, that way you can send one set to the vcr and the other to your HT RCVR.

The way you have it set up now you would have to tune your "vcr" to L1(or L2) and then tune your HT RCVR to video 1 for "sat" (1st vcr at the moment).  Then hit record on the "vcr" it should record what your outputing from your "sat" (1st vcr).  The Video 1 output on a RCVR doesn't work the same as a Monitor output from what I understand.  It will only output when that source (Video 1 on RCVR) is selected. 

That would be if you wanted to actually tape something.  To watch the vcr you should be able to tune your HT RCVR to Video 2 and it should be there. 

Remember,  out of "sat" to HT RCVR in, then  out to "vcr" in
, then  out of "vcr" to HT RCVR Video 2.  Lastly a monitor out to the video input on the tv.

I would personally set it up like I metioned above with a direct RCA connection from the "Sat" to the HT RCVR Video 1 and the other output to the "vcr" line in.  Then line out of "vcr" to Video 2 on your HT RCVR.  Much easier.

Sorry for such a long post, hope it helps.

pippsfan3
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by tomcat_fan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:54 pm

pippsfan3, that's exactly what I was looking for! You have it exactly right as far as what I'm trying to do. Since My Sat receiver hasn't arrived yet I have no way of knowing if it has 2 sets of composite outs, but that's a good possibility that I hadn't considered. For now though, it's exactly set up as you mentioned. I have Sat (VCR for now as a substitute) to STRDE695 through V1 In., back out (via V1 Out) to VCR # 2, and back in through V2 In, and finally out through Monitor Out.

My main worry is that I have no signals at all coming out of V1 Out, no matter what I tune VCR 1 (SAT Sub.) to. and selecting Video 1 on the receiver has no effect. I know there's a signal entering the STRDE695 because I can watch TV using that input. I also know nothing is coming out V1 Out because when I hooked it to the Video 2 in on my TV front and hit the Receiver's Video 1 button there was no signal. Hope I don't have a crapped receiver... Everything else seems fine but I' starting to wonder. If my sat has 2 outputs then I could work around this problem, but I want this thing to work as advertised.
tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by pippsfan3 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:03 pm

Hmm.  Does your HT RCVR have a Video 2 in and out. 

You could try the same thing just use Video 2 as the "sat" in and Video 1 as the "vcr".  Select Video 2 on your HT RCVR and just plug in your "vcr" with in and out.  Play a tape from your "sat" and tune the "vcr" to L1 and hit record.

When are you getting sat, do you know which company?

pippsfan3
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by tomcat_fan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:49 pm

No, only Video 1 has an Out option unfortunately. I'm debating whether to even take the receiver to a dealer now until I find out whether I'm going to have 2 outputs on the SAT. I got suckered into the extended warranty, but it's looking kinda good now. I don't want the repair goons marking up an otherwise perfect looking unit.

The sat company is Bell Expressvu. Not something you're familiar with prolly, living in the US, but that's who it is. The particular receiver I'm looking at has S-Video and RCA out, and coax cable. It looks like I'm going to get stuck using coax to the VCR and on to the TV (In case I don't want to turn on the HT Receiver), and S-Video/RCA to Video 1 on the HT Receiver. Then RCA between the VCR and Video 2. That will work for me, correct? Can I do that? You can do Coax in to VCR and Comp out, yes?
tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Toli » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:49 pm

tomcat_fan- You won't get video the way you have it connected is because it doesn't work that way. *This is part of a recording loop, you need the VCR's circuitry to first recognize that loop for the video to pass from the receiver's VIDEO 1 OUT.

The video signal from whatever you are recording from (i.e. satellite) must be connected to the VCR's antenna IN. Then you would connect a video cable from the VCR'S output to the VIDEO 1 IN on the receiver. And another video cable from the receiver's VIDEO 1 OUT to the VCR'S video IN. (*This completes the loop)

Meanwhile the video can get to the TV via the monitor out from the receiver-which is possible due to that loop. 

Hope that makes sense.   
Toli
Sony Legend
Sony Legend

by tomcat_fan » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:41 pm

It does, I think...

Here's how I'll have it hooked up now. Red is RCA, blue is Coax cable. I think this is what you told me to do in your last post:

I can watch and record fine, so it seems to be working. I just can't wrap my head around the why yet...  I understand that the coax carries the signal to the VCR, and the RCA carries signal from the VCR to the Receiver's Video 1 In. But what is the Video 1 Out doing? I suppose the obvious answer is carrying the signal from the Receiver back to the VCR, but is there a way to test this? If I unplug the RCA from the Video 1 Out the VCR is recording from the Coax plugged into it. And it's playing back through the RCA going from the Line out to the Video 1 in on the reciever. So my question is, What's the video 1 out doing in this scenario and how can I test it?

Also, thanks for your patience so far, I'm trying not to be a thckheaded idiot, hope you don't mind so many questions..

tomcat_fan
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables