[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - 5000es problem

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:56 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - 5000es problem

5000es problem

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by RandJG1 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:01 pm

A while back I posted a conflict I was having with my sony Tivo unit running through the Video 1 and or 2 channels of my 5000es. I thought the Tivo unit was going bad as very randomly and of random durations I would get video and audio drop outs.

Now I've rewired the tivo directly to the TV and it works fine.

I've got my dealer checking with Sony but the holiday has slowed things.

Anyway last night I finally got around to using my sony VCR through Video 1 and got video drop outs. Randomly again. I rewired to video two and got the same results.

While I'm awaiting word from Sony I thought I'd check to see if any 5000es owners out there are experiencing this as well. Do you think I just have a bad unit? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Sony 5000ES
Sony KV36 XBR400
Sony DVPNS999ES
Sony SVR-3000
Sony SVL N81
Sony SAT-HD200
Monster HTS5000
Klipsch RB75 Fronts
Klipsch RW12 Sub
Klipsch RC25 Center
Klipsch RCR 5's Surrounds

For what it's worth, love the silver.
RandJG1
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:40 pm

Are you running the Video signals through the DA 5000ES in their naitive format, or are you having the Receiver upconvert them to Component Video?

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by RandJG1 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:19 pm

I was up converting through the component connection to the monitor. I assumed that was one of the big features. I spoke to the dealer tonight who thought his tech figured it out. Then when I told him of the vhs doing the same he said he's ordering me a new one to swap it out.

As no one here is having this issue I assume my receiver is bad. Guess we'll see in a week or so. Thanks.

Sony 5000ES
Sony KV36 XBR400
Sony DVPNS999ES
Sony SVR-3000
Sony SVL N81
Sony SAT-HD200
Monster HTS5000
Klipsch RB75 Fronts
Klipsch RW12 Sub
Klipsch RC25 Center
Klipsch RCR 5's Surrounds

For what it's worth, love the silver.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
RandJG1
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by Maxxwire » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:02 pm

I hope you will let us know how the new unit works out.

-Maxx

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by bnormal » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:01 am

I'm having the same problem.  I have a dtivo and a vcr connected to the receiver via s-video.  I have a dvd player connected to the receiver via component video.  I have the receiver video out connected to my tv via component.  I have experienced video drop outs when either the vcr or the dtivo are the source but not when viewing a dvd.  Drop outs being when the screen goes black and the video input info is displayed on the tv.  The picture comes back after about 10 seconds.  But it happens so randomly that I can't tell you of any other circumstances other than the common denominator being an s-video connected source.

I've connected the dtivo directly to my tv and no dropouts. So I believe that would rule out a defective cable or a defective tv input or a defective dtivo.

I contacted Sony tech support who informed me that they have no info regarding this problem on the 5000es. Didn't surprise me.

Other than this I love the receiver....guess I'll have to go back to hitting a few more buttons on the remote when switching sources...

Somewhat disappointing but not a deal killer!
bnormal
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by bnormal » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:09 am

On 2004-01-05 22:19, RandJG1 wrote:
 I spoke to the dealer tonight who thought his tech figured it out.

Just curious...did the tech happen to tell you what he thought the problem was?

Please let us know if you have the same problems with the new unit.

Love the silver too!
bnormal
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by steck » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:16 am

I have the same problem with my 5000es.  When I run my vcr and tivo (composite & s-video input) through the receiver the component output doesn't work on my tv.  In fact even the s-video output from the receiver into the tv doesn't work.  My dvd still works fine (component input/ component output).  Thus I have concluded the upconversion must be the problem.  I have rewire all my video input directly into my tv (somewhat disappointing since my wife really hates having to change video inputs to watch tivo/dvd/vcr).

The dealer who installed my system came out and looked at the receiver and has concluded the same.  They are still waiting for a response from sony as to whether this is a problem with the whole line or just my unit.  I like the receiver so I hope this is an isolated problem, but who knows?
steck
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by ikeb » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:35 am

just as a side note:

there is another problem with the 5000es - the coax inputs do not work with dts music, but the optical inputs do - sony confirmed the problem, but i'm not sure if he ment the 5000es or the 777es as the problem
ikeb
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by RandJG1 » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:12 pm

I meant to reply earlier but couldn't get logged in from work. In any event...

To bnormal: I never got what the dealers tech had thought it would be as my new information of the same problem with the video deck made him decide whatever he came up with was moot.

Steck: I don't know whether I am relieved to have someone else confirming my issues or bummed that it may not be so isolated.

Latest update: Dealer called. Spoke to sony rep who was not aware of any issues with 5000es. Asked for a fax with my model numbers and serial numbers and would speak to the engineers about it.

Will post when I hear more.

Re: coax not working for dts. I have that issue as well, I think. I'm still confused over the whole deal. However I believe that I have to use multichannel 1 to get audio from a cd not just an sacd so my digital coax may not be working as well.

Thanks for all of your input.

Maxx: is your reciever working perfectly?
RandJG1
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by digdugm » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:49 pm

As stated in the earlier thread, I also have this issue. Its not an up-converision problem, before I brought my unit to the shop I hooked up an S-video cable to it. It does the same thing when going S-vd in to S-vid out. I would also say this is not a deal breaker, but it is one of the main reasons for investing in this peice of equipement, I do expect it to be taken care of.

P.S. I brought it in because of a protector issue (crossed the speaker cables, DOH), otherwise I would have waited till after the superbowl, or when more was known about the problem.
digdugm
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables