[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - TOP SECRET SPEAKER REVEALED FOR FIRST TIME

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - TOP SECRET SPEAKER REVEALED FOR FIRST TIME

TOP SECRET SPEAKER REVEALED FOR FIRST TIME

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by rb » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:46 am

I'm going to let everyone in on a little known speaker design that has become available only to a select few people. If I share this information with you I need you to promise not to expose me as the source of the information.

There is this large Japanese electronics giant that will go nameless for now that seems different from the rest of the Japanese electronic giants. Different in that they seem to have a cult following for some reason. Even if they truly screw up and release a total dud of a product,these cult members will forgive them and move on as if nothing had ever happened. Their following has gotten so big that they even have their own stores all over the world that sells their product exclusively.There are other Japanese giants that are even bigger yet they don't have such a dedicated following so that they are in a position to have exclusive stores. They even have fan sites on the internet devoted to nothing but their products where users can go and connect with each other, talk and even argue about issues related to their brand. I don't know of another brand that has such a large and devoted fan base. I am exposed to them everyday in my job, I like to call them .... disciples, bless their hearts they seem like the nicest people.

I don't blame these people for being so fanatical because out of all the Japanese giants out there they are the one that I have the most respect for. It's because they are a company of invention. Most companies take someone else's technology and try and improve on it, but not them they invent new technology. Sometimes it works and catches on sometimes it does not but you have to give them credit for trying. Other companies like to critisize and attack them although they never invented anything new in their whole history.

Unfortunately this company has a problem.They are really well known for electronic components but are not at all taken seriously when it comes to audio pieces like speakers. When it comes to TV's ,DVD players, Receivers,even CD players no one doubts their skill and expertise. So what do you do when in a situation like this.

What you do is take a look at current speaker design and improve on it by putting your best engineers on the job.You design a new speaker and you over build it, you leave nothing to chance. And if you need to go to another company that is regarded as one of the best speaker manfacturers in the world so be it nothing wrong with asking and getting a little help on a project this important. I have priced out individual components in these speakers and have been blown away by how expensive the parts are even at wholesale price. All components in this new design is of the highest quaility. No expense has been spared on this new design.The cost to replace just a tweeter at wholesale is equal to the wholesale cost of a complete speaker. Only the top of the range in the series seems to be priced fairly,the smaller tower and bookshelf seem to sold at a loss.

And boy has all the hard work paid off .These new speakers sound awesome.You would not believe that they came from the company that is not known for speakers.The quaility of construction is unbelievable.The smaller tower that is only 34" high weighs in at 61 lbs.There actually is a cabinet inside the cabinet.The speakers don't fasten to the baffle board they a mount to the bracing system inside the speaker. Unusually solid cabinet design.Seek out the white paper on these speakers and read it.

Now I'm still in shock these speakers come from who they do but I should not be really.These speakers are made for these fans ,cult members and disciples that I mentioned earlier. Finally a speaker for these people that they can truly be proud of .They were specially designed and built for these people. No one else is going to buy them. Unbelievers that aren't members of the cult or fan sites certainly are not going to buy them. Heck they don't even know that they exist.You won't read a review of them in mainstream magazines either.
The company does not seem to be interested in really promoting them either. I think it's because they are a very limited production.If word ever got out they would never be able to keep up with demand. I know people in Canada have had to wait a full 3-4 months before their order could be filled.

Okay here is the secret but don't tell anyone else.Take advantage of these speakers while you can because times are a changing at this company. Digital receivers is the first shift, digital speakers are not far behind .If you truly regard yourself a fan of this company you owe it to yourself to check them out. If you are reading this ,think about this they are designed to used with the electronics that you may already own.

I know there a a few of you on this site that already know what I'm talking about but for the rest of you they are called

Sony SSX90ED - SSX70ED - SSX30ED - SSCNX70ED

Now please keep it quiet I enjoy owning speakers that are rare.

rb

rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by thefaulkner » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:34 am

Love my SSX70ED's! Thanks rb!
thefaulkner
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by rkkwan » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:22 pm

The reason I usually don't recommend these speakers to people is that Sony has no track record of keeping up with their speaker line. For example, if someone buy a set of 5 speakers today, would they be able to find a matching pair when they decide to upgrade to a 7.1 system in 2-3 years?

Or if someone start with a pair today, can they get the other speakers for a 5.1 or7.1 setup later?

If Sony comes up with new models 2 years from now, will they look similar?

These are the reasons why I generally like to tell people to get brands like Paradigm or B&W. Or Monitor... While they have upgraded their lines over the years, you can generally match the newer versions with the older ones with no problem. And you know 2-3 years from now, B&W and Paradigm will still be making and marketing speakers.

If someone likes the SSXs, and future upgrade/matching is not an issue, then by all means consider them.
rkkwan
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by rufas2000 » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:23 pm

If people read their Circuit City fliers they'll know about them (or at least their evil twins). These are the SSK series instead of the SSX. They have the same numbering (70,90)Question is are the same as the ES speakers with the tweeters inside the cabinet instead of on top and 8 ohms instead of 4 ohms? At $800 a pair (SSK90ED) they were sure priced like it. I was surprised to see these in the Circuit City flier and on their site.

rufas2000
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by sharper » Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:45 pm

rb,
Do you have a link to the white paper, you mentioned? I couldn't find it when I searched on www.iq.sony.com...I just found the user manual and some doc about using spikes.

The SSX series interests me. They obviously teamed with B&W on this one. I'd be interested to read more about it.

Scott
sharper
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by rb » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:39 pm

I have the white paper but no way to put it on my computer. I will fax it to someone who can. Anyone?

rb
rb
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Craig_Nike » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:10 am

I'm super keen on getting a look at this paper also but dont have a scanner.

rb - that was a great piece of writing, did you do it, or did you quote it from somehwre esle ?
If you wrote it, top work !

Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. (I dont feel so ashamed of owning Sony speakers now! - not that I ever did).
Craig_Nike
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by Craig_Nike » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:29 am

rb is it this X series link that you have ?
Craig_Nike
Sony Addict
Sony Addict

by zig » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:17 am

Let the unbelievers to buy their Bose, Infinity, B&W etc…. I buy SONY.
zig
Sony Buff
Sony Buff

by pervertfreak » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:10 am

I've seen these speakers on the internet and wondered if they're any good. I trust Sony and give them the utmost respect. If they can make awesome TV's, DVD players, SACD players, receivers, etc. then there is no reason why they can't make awesome speakers. Are they really that good? I agree with RKwan's point about Sony changing the speaker design every year or so. That's why I like Klipsch. They design a good speaker, get a loyal following for it and manufacture that speaker unchanged for like 5-8 years. It would be nice if Sony did that.
pervertfreak
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables