[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - How many folks are still happy with there STR-DB930 reciever?

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:46 am
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - How many folks are still happy with there STR-DB930 reciever?

How many folks are still happy with there STR-DB930 reciever?

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by Keithant » Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:30 pm

And has anybody had any major problems with there's?Is pro-logicII and 6.1 really that important to get rid of an otherwise fine reciever?PEACE..
Keithant
Sony Devotee
Sony Devotee

by Maxxwire » Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:21 am

I have been using the Sony STR DB930 everyday for over three years without any sign of trouble.

Compared with the subsequent versions in the DB series, the 930 will eat them alive! According to the Home Cinema Choice Benchtests the DB930 puts out 93.2 Watts per channel from 20-20K hz. @ .013 THD..

The DB1070 on the other hand was measured at only 72 Watts per channel at .02 THD. The reason is that he DB930 has ES quality amps and the DB 1070 has QS quality amps according to Sony's Malasian website.

Even the DA Series fails to measure up to the DB930.....The DA555 ES measured in at 76 Watts per channel at .02 THD.

The only Sony product that HCC measured in their lab that had more power than the DB 930 was the TAN 9000 ES with 102 Watts per channel at a filthy .06 THD. So the only contemporary Sony unit with more power than the DB930 is the TAN 9000 ES with 10% more power per channel and 460% more THD! I think I'll stick with the DB930 and its 93 WPC of mean clean power!

If you're interested in bells and whistles by all means get the latest itteration of the DB or ES series, but if you're interested in large portions of clean crystal clear power then go "Retro '99" and pick up a Sony DB 930!

Statistical Reference:

Home Cinema Choice Benchtest Archive-

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/index.html

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by kranston » Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:23 am

Don't forget the DB940, which is the later release of the awesome DB930. The 940 upgraded the core components, added analog direct, and I believe on-screen television display was added (not sure if the 930 had it).

Maxxwire,
just in case there are a few doubters about the prowess of the 930/940, heres a link with star rating and reviews. The 930 received 4.5 stars, the v55ES, v777ES, and DB1070 received 3.5 stars. Click here for the direct link to the DB930 review

Here is the star rating comparison...you have to select "amplifiers" and "sony" (ignore the other fields), and the list will come up:Home Cinema Choice...DB930, DB1070, V55ES, V777ES

Here's a link different link/review for the DB940 (which received 5 stars)
DB940...
I am completely happy with my 940 and will not change until I absolutely must. And even then I would in all likelihood keep the 940 (or a 930).
kranston
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:01 pm

Here is a partial list of some of the features the Sony DB930 has:

-Low hysterisis transformer design

-Large power supply

-Discrete amplifier design

-Dynamic 5 amplifier system for ES series

-30,000 micro farad capacitors

-Super legato linear circuitry

-Slanted PCB circuit board design

-Frame and beam construction

-Aluminum front pannel

These are a few of the design implementations that the DB930 brought with it from the Eurasian market where it was known as the DB930 QS (Quality Standard).

As I understand from an original Fax from Sony Corp., the first shipment of DB930's came from Europe where the Power Supplies were modified to 120v for the U.S. market and shipped here to provide a high power unit for their product line left open by the delays in the production of the DA555 ES.

If you go back in the some 345 reviews of the DB930 on Audio Review to the very early reveiws of July- August, 1999 you can see how it all came about.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by nellow » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:00 am

I have been using my STBR930 since August 1999 and am very, very happy with it. I keep considering to get a new one, just...well, really just for the sake of it (any excuse to buy another piece of kit). However, I always conclude there is nothing else yet that I really want from a receiver and I know every little feature of the 930 now, using all inputs. Since I have video integrated, I did think the 940 TV display would be nice, and I too considered 6.1 upgrade, but I wouldn't really use it. The only problem I have ever had is the nice little light in the volume control has gone out, just last week. This is surprisingly useful from across the room to see where the volume is by remote - anyone know if the light is easy to replace? Also, I agree it does run hot.

I primarily use it with Sony DVP-S725D DVD player, and I feel the same way about that, now venerable, piece of kit (realised that when I compared output to a Philips DVDR recorder I bought recently.
nellow
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by Maxxwire » Tue Sep 17, 2002 10:23 pm

The Sony STR DB 930 is also a great performer in Stereo as well!

A while back I borrowed an SET- 300B Tube Integrated Amp. from a local dealer to see how it would stack up against my DB 930. It was a fine silver hand wired model made by the CES award winning Silvaweld Co..

I gave that $3,500 Tube amp. three full days to prove that it could do something that my Sony DB 930 couldn't do, but it couldn't.

The speakers that I run employ AlNiCo magnets and the proponents of SET tube amps claim that the combination of these type magnets and amps. powered by directly heated triodes will produce Audio Bliss. After many many hours of direct comparison between the $3,500 SET Tube Integrated and my Sony DB 930 I am convinced that the DB 930 performed equally in every respect when the Direct Analog Stereo inputs were employed.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by Maxxwire » Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:51 am

Oops- I forgot to mention that the British Audio Award 2001 for Best Receiver went to the Sony STR DB 930.

Check it out at:

http://www.british-audio.org.uk/awards_2001.html

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by mofoed » Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:22 pm

I would have to agree with all your comments. The DB930 is the best non ES receiver released by Sony. I will add though that the best receiver ever made by Sony is the DA777ES .

Keep this in mind though. Seperates will always take you to another level in audio & this is where the 9000ES and TAN series come in.

The 9000ES by far is the best sub $5000 audio setup Sony has ever made. I say this because the TAN series is nicer but at $10,000+ you are in another league. I enjoy audio reviews like anyone else does and commend Home Cinema for some good ones. However, audio is not about numbers posted up on a website or how many watts per channel your amp gets compared to mine. Audio is simply about sound. I had a DB940 which sounded very nice until I got my 9000ES setup. The now music seems more lively and filling and not digitized or flat. The mids are now audiable while the highs stay smooth and are less harsh. If anyone gets a chance to hear a TAN or 9000ES setup, please do. You will see what Sony is truly capable of.

Current Setup:

TA-E9000ES
TA-P9000ES
TA-N9000ES
SCD-C555ES
MDS-JB940

Digital sound transfered via Monster Reference. Analog sound through Kimber Kable Hero. Speaker wires are Monster Z1 Reference.

mofoed
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by kranston » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:13 pm

mofoed,
you do realize though that you're talking apples and oranges ; separates vs. a do-all receiver/amp. Also, the 930 and 940 cost under $700 when released. Did you read the entire Home Cinema Choice review? Though maxxwire re-iterated some numbers, that's not all they described in the article.
Cheers!

Kranston
kranston
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:55 pm

Mofoed- Are you refering to the two Tan-9000ES Amps that blew up in the HCC Lab before they found one they could get a descent test out of? Even then it came in at 102 Wpc. with .06% THD. I fail to see how this could possibly produce a better sound than the DB 930 with .013 THD which is what Sony's Specification Sheet claims the TAN-9000ES will produce, but evidently can't on an independant Lab's testbench.

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

Next

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables