[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - KD36XS955 - red and blue lines bordering white edges

Advanced search
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:43 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - KD36XS955 - red and blue lines bordering white edges

KD36XS955 - red and blue lines bordering white edges

This forum is geared towards fine-tuning your Sony television settings. If you have troubles or just simple questions about optimizing your picture, check out this forum. Feel free to add your suggestions to the manuals.

Moderator: jttar

by ecreaden » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:22 am

Just got a new KD36XS955 about 30 days ago.  I just went through the Digital Video Essentials DVD and noticed a couple of things.  Hoping some of you can tell me if my expectations are realistic -- here's what I saw:

1) far left edge of screen is slightly bowed outward at center.

2) on grid pattern, the white vertical lines near the edges of the screen have color 'smearing out' to one side.  On the right side, only red smears out to the right of the vertical lines so far as to double the width of the white line, while on the left side of the picture, the same thing happens with blue (only).  At the center of the picture, the white lines are very clear with no colors bordering either side of the lines.

Also, the 'plus signs' they have planted in some of the reference patters have the same color smearing effect to one side.

3) Top left edge of screen shows only red for about three horizontal lines of the screen (i.e., about 1/16 inch or so), extending about 3 inches in towards the center.  In other words, a very thin, red line is visible when the background is lightly colored in the top left edge of the widescreen view, tapering to absent about 3 inches in towards center.

Are these issues correctable by a service tech? 

If so, since it is still under the standrad sony warrany (90 days labor), can I get a tech to make a house call to adjust?  Do house calls come in the standard warranty - the set weighs 235 lbs so I can't take it anywhere for service.

Thanks in advance for any help you all may have!

E
ecreaden
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jehill » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:07 pm

The smearing that you see on vertical lines near the edges of the picture may be corrected by convergence adjustments.  A tech should be able to correct this as well as the bowing noted.  I would contact your local authorized Sony service center and schedule a service call.  Be sure to verify that there will be no charge.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

by ecreaden » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:34 pm

Thanks Jehill - that's encouraging that this issue would be considered a warranty item.  I was concerned that this may be considered a calibration or optimization issue that would not be under warranty.

I don't see a lot of effects in the picture, just when I am on the grids.  The user menu has so few adjustments you can make, it is tempting to get into the service menu but I really don't know what I am doing.

E

ecreaden
Sony Enthusiast
Sony Enthusiast

by jehill » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:33 pm

Note that I said, "Be sure to verify that there will be no charge".  I would expect it to be covered by the warranty, but I am not positive.  I wouldn't recommend messing with the service menu adjustments.  The service menu adjustments are for trained technicians.
jehill
Sony Senior Advisor
Sony Senior Advisor

Return to Television Configuration