[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Agoraquest • View topic - whats the difference between transferring with usb and firewire

Advanced search
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:51 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - whats the difference between transferring with usb and firewire

whats the difference between transferring with usb and firewire

Installation questions, problems or simply a note. This forum is to discuss anything about installing your Sony cameras. Doesn't matter what television you use, if you need help about installation process, this is the right place.

Moderator: jttar

by devin_st » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:41 pm

hello, I'm a newbie so pardon me for the stupid question. I've been wondering whats the difference between transferring with usb and firewire. is it the transferring speed that makes them different ? or there are anything else ?
thank you very much for the answer
devin_st
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by duncan » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:06 am

Hi, Welcome to Agoraquest

I guess you are using a Camcorder?

Firewire has great capacity/speed allowing the raw DV info to be transmitted and the interfaces are designed to allow your PC apps to control the Camcorder too making the whole process very simple.

USB is really for Pictures only or webcam use, quite a few posts on here regarding no sound when trying to transfer video. The USB conectivity will show the camera as a drive letter (memory stick) or as a capture device, it is a pain to use (in comparision) with lower quality results.

In summary, use USB to get info from the memory sitck or use as a really expensive webcam, for video use firewire. Good Luck

Duncan
duncan
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by devin_st » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:51 am

oh one more question, is there any difference in term of image quality ?
devin_st
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by thefaulkner » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:55 pm

Yes.

and no.

You cannot really compare Firewire versus USB, since they are meant to do completely different things. Firewire is for video. You will get the best quality video images using firewire/i-link/IEEE1294. USB is for transferring still images stored on the memory stick.
In order to have a longer feature list, Sony has allowed you to stream video using USB. This should be used for webcam purposes only. The video quality is very poor, and is only 16 frames per second (versus 30).

thefaulkner
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by duncan » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:40 am

It is funny that they don't try to push more data down for those who don't have firewire, the ability of the two is not very different, 1394 is 480Mbit/sec adn USB2.0 is 400Mbit/sec.

Duncan
duncan
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by duncan » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:40 am

It is funny that they don't try to push more data down for those who don't have firewire, the ability of the two is not very different, 1394 is 480Mbit/sec adn USB2.0 is 400Mbit/sec.

Duncan
duncan
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by DaPats » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:13 am

On 2003-11-13 21:55, thefaulkner wrote:
Yes.

and no.

You cannot really compare Firewire versus USB, since they are meant to do completely different things. Firewire is for video. You will get the best quality video images using firewire/i-link/IEEE1294. USB is for transferring still images stored on the memory stick.
In order to have a longer feature list, Sony has allowed you to stream video using USB. This should be used for webcam purposes only. The video quality is very poor, and is only 16 frames per second (versus 30).

DaPats
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by DaPats » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:14 am

I am having a problem with my DCR-TRV140. When I connect through the IEEE1394 connection I can control the camera throught eh software on the PC but it won't capture the video. Any solutions?

On 2003-11-13 21:55, thefaulkner wrote:
Yes.

and no.

DaPats
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by aku_djinn » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:06 am

I am using a DCR-HC32 Handycam. I found out how to download the pictures from the memory stick. I thought I could download the video off the tape so I can burn it to DVD. Can someone help me out here? I couldn't figure it out. Manual says use the burn to CD button on teh CAMERA but I can't find it on any menu.

Basically, what I read above is I need firewire right?

Any help appreciated.

Iain
aku_djinn
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

by sallyliao » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:30 pm

sallyliao
Sony Fan
Sony Fan

Next

Return to Camera Installation