[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 35: Use of undefined constant topic - assumed 'topic' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4779: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3912)
Agoraquest • View topic - Turn for the Worse on DA-4ES

Advanced search
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:46 pm
Please Login or Register to take advantage of all of our forum benefits.

View topic - Turn for the Worse on DA-4ES

Turn for the Worse on DA-4ES

This forum addresses questions on installation, configuration and troubleshooting you might encounter with your Sony Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables.

Moderator: jttar

by The-Ish316 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Well, things have suddenly made a turn for the worse with the Sony DA-4ES. Over the last couple of days, I had noticed I could only hear the right channel. I chalked that up to a few shows recorded on channels airing old shows (OK, I admit is was Star Trek: TOS). Well, this morning I decided to watch a recent show that airs in 5.1 audio (even the blue light on the 4ES lights up). After a few brief moments (say about 2 minutes), it all went to the right channel in my listening headphones.

Figuring it was the DVR or recording, I unplugged the head phones. No left channel. Not panicking yet. Popped in a Blu-ray which connect to 5.1 direct analog inputs... no left channel... sweat breaking out.... Tuner... no left channel. Flashbacks... the occasional popping, left side. Nooooo! The popping malady (see this previous ) I thought was manageable may have actually been a symptom of something far worse... failure.

Details: so the left channel in headphones is affected, the left front main channel is the only one affected in all other listening modes. Center and left surround are fine. Both right front main and right surround are fine. I believe the aforementioned popping may have been in the left front main (and I thought, though was never certain it was also in the left surround). I have used tuner, blu-ray direct playback (so it's affecting the pass-through), and optical.

When I turned the receiver back on (it was turned off for about 15 minutes while I wrote the above), I tested the digital coax input, but it was working fine. Retesting the blu-ray via direct analog inputs... just fine. I let it run for another 10 minutes and saw no issues. So it's an intermittent issue. I'd rather have the popping than a dead left channel.

Thoughts? Questions? Strategies? Diagnoses?

STR-DA4ES, Bravia KDL-52XBR9, DVP-NC600, BDP-S1, Athena AS-F2 fronts, AS-C1 center, CSW Surrounds; ChannelMaster DVR+, Sony HDR-SR12, TC-WR6655S
The-Ish316
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

by Maxxwire » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:30 pm

Maxxwire
Sony Adept
Sony Adept

by The-Ish316 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:22 pm

Unfortunately, Maxx, I do not know of any electronic repair shops (that work on HT items) in the greater area. I do have a son who is an Electrical engineer interested in looking at it, but I'm not going to hold my breath that will resolve the problem as effectively as one versed in such things. We'll see, I suppose.

STR-DA4ES, Bravia KDL-52XBR9, DVP-NC600, BDP-S1, Athena AS-F2 fronts, AS-C1 center, CSW Surrounds; ChannelMaster DVR+, Sony HDR-SR12, TC-WR6655S
The-Ish316
Sony Aficionado
Sony Aficionado

Return to Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables